Took a gamble! Calling all finesse Swimbait and Daiwa aficionados

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Took a gamble! Calling all finesse Swimbait and Daiwa aficionados

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 am

So I made an impulsive purchasing decision with a high-end rod company, to buy something I've never held in hand, no enthusiast information on this specific rod, I jumped the gun and went it what I believe could be the best rod for 1 purpose. The purchase decision has already submitted. No turning back. I just wanted to end this crazy search for the 1 rod I hope will be it.

I have continuously devoted my entire half of my adult life to fishing Indiana and Illinois waters of Southern Lake Michigan. I think this season may be the year I can make my goal of catching the Illinois State Record Smallmouth bass a reality and making sure it is quickly certified and released back safely.

So this rod I chose to test out and I have a good gut feeling it well help me fish a finesse swimbait and be able to bring in a potential record fish. So I ask for your honest opinion, experiences, information you have on the :

Daiwa Steez SVF AGS Casting Rod 8' Med Hvy moderate action

The time is still far off but this is fishing one fishing goal, I want to be prepared and confident in my gear selections. I've typically been able to get away with using a NRX 902s for a majority of my of my prime time swimbait bite and i can effectively fish 4 inch swimbaits on 3/8 heads and fish with confidence.

But I've seen smallie populations growing in numbers and size and during these perk times I may have to fish a 5" plus finesse swim on a 3/4 oz head to fish in depths of 30 to 40+ feet. It could very well be that I will have to fish deeper and bigger baits to trigger old 6.7+ pound smallmouth when the 7'6" spinning rod and my other select techniques aren't desired.

I could've chosen the worst rod with my hunger to train for the prime time but I'm willing to risk a good check to make my dream become viable add put all the best odds in my favor when mother nature is always against you.

8 foot length to get as long distance casts as possible. I hear the sensitivity of the Steez is very comparable but uniquely different from the NRX series I primarily fish. I sensitivity and responsive tip is paramount to doing this right. I need to be able to feel everything thing while working this along the bottom to find the isolated rock piles in 40 ft. These bottoms are full of snags and muscles so having a light tip similar to a long spinning rod can assist my finesse movements to work through snags. I will primarily fish 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, if necessary 1 oz swimbaits rigged with exposed lighter wire yet strong hooks. I typically fish 10lb braid 8 lb flouro leader on spinning but that becomes risky on casting gear and overpowering fish after leader becomes frayed by zebras, straight 10 pound Seaguar Tastu flouro will be spooled.

I'll thought this rod maybe used for some sort of moving bait because fish can bite vary particular during these times to where a slight delay can give fish more time to mouth it instead pulling bait away.
The schooling big smallmouth are crazy smart, if you turn on a school on fish and get one hooked, you have to make sure it doesn't come off and you must trolling motor a good long distance to release it far away from target school. If those options aren't met the you shut down the school. So i have to fish flawlessly and I'm hoping the parabolic rod will work like spinning to keep deepwater fish hooked without giving any moments of slack. I also hope this long parabolic bend could distribute line tension to be able to still lands and fight fish if there could be a small line fray. Maybe absorbing it in the rod could be even a 1 percent upgrade.

1. Long Distance Casting
2. Handling 3/8-1oz baits and power to drive single wire hooks in deep water
3. Absolute bottom contact sensitivity
3. Responsive tip to finesse through hard cover
4. Moderate action for slight delay during strike.
5. Positive line tension for less breakoffs with 10 lb flouro.
6. Parabolic action to keep line tight and hook in mouth

Additional notes
-Tried many Nrx Casting models over the years for swimbaits on casters but have not found the fast sturdy action to allow me to fish the bait to perfection. The faster action rods also pull jigs into snags instead of light responsive tip to finesse through. My other Nrx's have been allocated to spots for other needs.

- after reading my long story, I would appreciate to hear your opinions on proper gear, maybe a rod, reel, technique, or anyways to better myself.

- If you could accurately describe how this rod fishes it would be appreciated or if you know of another rod that could be potentially better or for niche uses along with this rod.

- feel free to call me crazy, but I'm on a mission to continually try to be this record and even potentially my own every year. I am a little obsessed with this goal so im also here to listen to criticism.

-smallmouth survival comes before any achievement or title. I have necessary people, direct team on call for immediate weigh and release. I will do everything to keep and care for the smallmouth and will have zero regrets releasing it if that happens in the worst case scenario.

-I'm not here to gain gear for sponsorships from my catch. I am unbiased in the search of the exact best rods made for my fishing style and best presentation. I actually have a wide combination of different manufacturers to put the technique.

- In my worst case scenario, this rod ends up not being the ideal swimbait rod for my scenario. What are some other techniques it will find good use for in other angling pursuits of both smallmouth and largemouth fishing.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Took a gamble! Calling all finesse Swimbait and Daiwa aficionados

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:07 am

I have a Millerods Swimfreak and it seems like it was designed to do just what you’re looking for. It is 7’8’’ long and the rod taper was designed for casting 3/8-2 oz swim baits long distances.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Took a gamble! Calling all finesse Swimbait and Daiwa aficionados

Post by Handler » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:28 pm

You fishing out of Chicago? Smallie bite has been great this year. I like reading your stuff. You seem to have the obsessed approach and that's how I roll. I can appreciate the thought and trial you put into your jighead recommendations for Keitecs and I'll be putting it to use as soon as I get the credit card out.