Unsanded blank finish... hmmm

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Unsanded blank finish... hmmm

Post by y2k88 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 pm

What are people's thoughts on these unsanded blank finishes, like the mini ridges between each carbon wrap?
It's always smooth running your fingers back from the tip to butt, but rough as sandpaper the other way. Affects casting distance?
Feel like it either needs a sand down or a blank finish.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Unsanded blank finish... hmmm

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 03, 2021 1:07 am

I've read that after the vacuuming and baking process once that wrap tape is removed the rods with the spiraling finish are considerably stronger than those that are sanded flat finished.

Doesn't affect any performance measures in casting whatsoever - it's just the look and feel to the user.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm

Some believe blanks that are not sanded offer greatest sensitivity and strength. Some are even marketed as such. I believe Cal did a product write up or something, where he went into a little detail on the matter. For what it's worth, I prefer blanks that are only sanded lightly.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 am

Yeah ok. Feel like if I'm bombing heavy things, not an isaue. But light lures on a windy day with micro guides, with more line slap potential, not sure. No way to know for sure.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 05, 2021 8:52 am

The unsanded rough finish helps hold your thread in place when you are wrapping a rod. The unsanded blank rods that I have are all very strong, but most customers like the look of sanded blanks. That is usually why they are sanded. The sanded blanks are a little lighter of course.