Enthusiast Crankbait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Enthusiast Crankbait Rod

Post by jprice92 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:18 pm

Looking recommendations for an jdm enthusiast level shallow crankbait rod, I have the p5 z crank but it seems a little stiff for lighter cranks. I’m looking at the megabass ultimate griffon but also looking for more options.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Enthusiast Crankbait Rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri May 07, 2021 6:32 pm

An oldie but goodie is the Steez Fle X Lite. The have a 6'5" ML. I have the 7' M and it is a super versatile moving bait rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:32 pm
An oldie but goodie is the Steez Fle X Lite. The have a 6'5" ML. I have the 7' M and it is a super versatile moving bait rod.
You getting rid of that rod????
The 7’0” of course.

Interesting topic.
JPrice92
What are your thoughts on on the P5 or than the stiffness?
What cranks were you using on it and how would you like the next rod to differ in action?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:47 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The 7’0” of course.

Interesting topic.
JPrice92
What cranks were you using on it and how would you like the next rod to differ in action?
I think it’s a great rod but it seems like it was designed for close quarters cranking. The rod has a short butt almost like a jerkbait rod and the tip loads just a little too fast for me. It throws 1/2 cranks and megabass cranks with the lbo system great but I like to throw the osp blitz and blitz max a lot and the rod just doesn’t get the distance for me. Once you hook a fish though it loads deep into the blank just like a crankbait rod should.

The next rod I want to have just a little bit more whippy tip to be able to throw those lighter cranks.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 am

Entry level, shallow crankbait, enthusiast?

Look at the specs from the Tatula Elite Tak 7’ glass rod and move it up to something from MB, Daiwa, maybe Jackall/Shimano.
I wasn’t a big fan of either MB or Evergreen crankbait rods, either graphite, composite or glass. I always liked the mid-range Daiwa line, so I figured I would give the Tatula Elite a shot and see how they worked. Worked very well for me.
You could probably find a rod with better guides, reel seat, etc., but use that as your baseline and you should be very happy.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat May 08, 2021 5:41 am

jprice92 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:47 am
goldrod wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The 7’0” of course.

Interesting topic.
JPrice92
I think it’s a great rod but it seems like it was designed for close quarters cranking. The rod has a short butt almost like a jerkbait rod and the tip loads just a little too fast for me. It throws 1/2 cranks and megabass cranks with the lbo system great but I like to throw the osp blitz and blitz max a lot and the rod just doesn’t get the distance for me. Once you hook a fish though it loads deep into the blank just like a crankbait rod should.

The next rod I want to have just a little bit more whippy tip to be able to throw those lighter cranks.

I use the Megabass shallow fast moving special for blitz max and I like it. It doesn’t have a short handle at all and that help facilitate the versatility you get from this stick whether you are CQC or not. I was looking at the 7’1” tomahawk but I have not used it. I read about a Megabass destroyer rod that no longer in production that was rather popular but the name escapes me. Maybe there’s a sedition rod out there or Steez racing design. I guess it comes down to price point and if your budget is unlimited maybe you can just build it or have it built. I’m sure others will chime in. Good luck with your search and let us know what your findings are
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:37 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:41 am
jprice92 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:47 am
goldrod wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The 7’0” of course.

Interesting topic.
JPrice92

I use the Megabass shallow fast moving special for blitz max and I like it. It doesn’t have a short handle at all and that help facilitate the versatility you get from this stick whether you are CQC or not. I was looking at the 7’1” tomahawk but I have not used it. I read about a Megabass destroyer rod that no longer in production that was rather popular but the name escapes me. Maybe there’s a sedition rod out there or Steez racing design. I guess it comes down to price point and if your budget is unlimited maybe you can just build it or have it built. I’m sure others will chime in. Good luck with your search and let us know what your findings are
Thanks man! Just ordered the ultimate griffon, I’ll let you know how it does for my intended applications. Planning on throwing shallows cranks, top water and maybe jerkbaits.

CJankowski
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CJankowski » Fri May 21, 2021 8:01 pm

I went with the P5 Kasumi 6-11 for lighter cranks. Havent had a chance to fish it but think it will work well for me.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 pm

I’ve had a few trips with the ultimate griffon and I think it’s perfect for those smaller lighter cranks, it’s noticeably softer than the z crank and has great sensitivity. The rod loads well and casts very accurate, I think I will be keeping this one for a while.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:33 pm

javelin..i been using it for sq bills/mid depth/deep crank and spinnerbaits...if i had to bring only one crank rod with me..this is the one...