Why do we care about guide insert?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Why do we care about guide insert?

Post by rando » Thu May 27, 2021 1:58 pm

Why do we care about guide inserts?

Sic vs torzite vs al oxide vs all else.

What is the real benefit of one over the other?

I personally don’t really care about insert as long as there is one. More important for me is the guide frame and more specifically how easily the line untangles itself from it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why do we care about guide insert?

Post by Slazmo » Thu May 27, 2021 3:43 pm

The only other that's worth mentioning is Gold Cermet which has been discontinued for a few good years, but was better than Sic, possibly outdone by Torzite now... Cermet was hell expensive!

But for most Alconite and Fazlite is perfect, the frames either stainless Steel (new ion plated as minimum) or Titanium are the benchmark. For GT popping, marlin spinning etc rods you want the best surface available eg: Sic / Torzite.

But its not hard to choose decent quality. Nobody wants cheap guides on a expensive rod, your line and comfort pays.
Attachments
IMG_20210528_075820.png
IMG_20210528_075820.png (124.62 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
IMG_20210528_075809.png
IMG_20210528_075809.png (135.36 KiB) Viewed 5819 times

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu May 27, 2021 3:48 pm

In my 40+ years of fishing I never heard much of anything in bass circles about guides, guide placement let alone what they were made of until braids became the rage.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu May 27, 2021 6:50 pm

The harder and smoother a guide is, the better the line guide is at achieving casting distance and heat reduction (caused by friction). That being said, I had a rodbuilder take a standard Fuji aluminum oxide guide, size 30, and ran a bastard file thru it about 30 seconds. He then handed me a q-tip and told me to run it on the inside surface he had just hacked on. The guide was as smooth as a new one, no kidding. He then explained to me that sandpaper is made of aluminum oxide and will grind away steel when used in that application. Made perfect sense to me and I havent much cared about insert material since that demonstration. Btw, the best/hardest insert material is actually SiN, or silicon nitride, not SiC or Torzite. It is used for direct contact with stranded steel wire in saltwater fishing. You heard that right, braided stainless wire wont damage it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:10 am

I've never had a problem with Alconite guides and can't justify the price jump to SiC or Torzite. In the small guides i use for casting rods my digital scale can't even register the weight difference of the entire set. For larger spinning rod sets there is a large difference in weight though.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat May 29, 2021 12:32 am

Alconite/Fazlite, even SiC has MUCH more friction compared to Torzite.

2:44

https://youtu.be/PSTFnDH2t6Y?t=164

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun May 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Everyone worrying about their guide material.

How often do you clean them is the real question. Most people never even wipe them down.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 30, 2021 2:23 pm

Most important question would be "how many check their guides with pantyhoes / stockings?"

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am

Inserts vary in thickness and weight. Which can greatly affect the rods action on light weight builds.

Customers rods get what they choose, which usually is SiC. Most of my personal rods are PAC Bay minima’s which is just polished SS. I build all my personal rods as light as I can.

I did build my K2 with torzites because it felt wrong to put the Minima’s on it. Excellent guides, but for most freshwater fishing, not overly worth the huge jump in price over Minima’s for most.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Mon May 31, 2021 1:13 pm

RayneStorm wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am
Inserts vary in thickness and weight. Which can greatly affect the rods action on light weight builds.

Customers rods get what they choose, which usually is SiC. Most of my personal rods are PAC Bay minima’s which is just polished SS. I build all my personal rods as light as I can.

I did build my K2 with torzites because it felt wrong to put the Minima’s on it. Excellent guides, but for most freshwater fishing, not overly worth the huge jump in price over Minima’s for most.
Is weight the only reason you choose those polished ss guides?

Are there any noticeable downsides?

Isn’t recoil just polished ss?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 31, 2021 1:26 pm

rando wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:13 pm
NiTi - Nitinol of sorts.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Mon May 31, 2021 1:43 pm

rando wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:13 pm
Is weight the only reason you choose those polished ss guides?

Are there any noticeable downsides?

[/quote]

Weight and I can use smaller guides, which makes my entire guide train even lighter yet. Price is excellent as well, although when building high end rods, not as important.

For most freshwater fish, no downsides for me. If anything, I will add a tip top with an insert, as that location takes most of the friction.

Recoil guides are Nickle Titanium. Some braids screech when going through recoils, so I tend not to use them when braid is going on the reel. They make excellent ice rod guides, because when ice starts forming on the guides, just give the guide a light twist, and the ice pops right off.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Mon May 31, 2021 2:38 pm

Makes sense!

I personally really like kigan z guides. Mostly for purely practical reason- it really does not tangle at all and it is a real perk in the kayak. All the other rods I have with Fuji guides do not come even close in that department and on the water I see no other practical benefit.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Mon May 31, 2021 3:05 pm

Definitely practical with those Z guides and not having guides wrap up line. Especially in a kayak

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:48 am

Would rather take titanium frame alconite say on a steez xt vs stainless frame SiC for bass applications, esp on a spin rod