What's your Dark Sleeper rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's your Dark Sleeper rod?

Post by M Perry » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:55 pm

I use either the Orochi XX or Levante Diablo Spec R and Perfect Pitch depending on where, how and line size that I am fishing it. If you guys like the Dark Sleeper then stay tuned for the Sleeper Gill and Sleeper Craw.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 am

M Perry wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:55 pm
If you guys like the Dark Sleeper then stay tuned for the Sleeper Gill and Sleeper Craw.
:D :D

Do tell. You can't drop that on us without some more details. :lol:

It is rare that I don't use the DS. Skips like a dream and catches loads of fish of course. Gotta think that the Sleeper Gill and Craws will be winners as well. Any idea of a release date?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 am
M Perry wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:55 pm
If you guys like the Dark Sleeper then stay tuned for the Sleeper Gill and Sleeper Craw.
:D :D

Do tell. You can't drop that on us without some more details. :lol:

It is rare that I don't use the DS. Skips like a dream and catches loads of fish of course. Gotta think that the Sleeper Gill and Craws will be winners as well. Any idea of a release date?
Just two new additions based on Dark Sleeper concept. There are pictures online. Probably looking at spring of next year as they are still works in progress and in prototype phase.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:35 pm

For 3/4 and 1 oz versions, i love the Steez AGS Bottom Contact rod, and there's this 79H prototype rod that has been an absolute joy with the larger Dark Sleepers as well. I don't throw the 3/8 and 1/2 oz versions nearly as often as the larger two, but I still reach for a jig oriented rod when I do. The Megabass P5 Dark Sleeper rod does a fine job with the lighter versions, but again, this 73MH prototype rod I've been fishing really nails those baits for me.

Mark - I'm psyched about that new Sleeper Craw... that thing is going to absolutely kill it...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 pm

There's a couple of official MB photos of the Sleeper Gill and Sleeper Craw halfway down this page: https://jpnfishingtackle.com/blogs/new- ... nese-baits

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:05 am

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 pm
There's a couple of official MB photos of the Sleeper Gill and Sleeper Craw halfway down this page: https://jpnfishingtackle.com/blogs/new- ... nese-baits
Those look pretty sweet. I think that that Gill bait would crush it where I fish a lot.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:48 pm

So far my preference is the Legend Xtreme AGS 7ft1 MH Extra Fast for up to the 3/4 models.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:28 pm

been using my orocchi braillist for dark sleepers....i just wished these things were more weedless and the eyes more durable..

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm

MRQturbo wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:28 pm
been using my orocchi braillist for dark sleepers....i just wished these things were more weedless and the eyes more durable..
Someone on IG posted a picture of a DS with the factory eyes replaced with googly eyes. It was hilarious and I am mad I didn't save the pic.

100% with you on the weedlessness, that "hook guard" is more of a "modesty cover".

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:19 pm

Picked up an NRX 894c from another member last week and put some time in on it with the Dark Sleepers a buddy talked me into buying recently. Throwing the 3/8oz 3inch sleeper, I felt the rod handled the bait perfectly and I was super happy with the sensitivity of the rod for feeling the structure in deeper water and bite detection. Probably caught about a dozen fish on the combo from 1lb to 4.7lb and it handled them all great. I'm sure it would feel great with 1/2oz as well.

*edit*
couple weeks later and I've caught a couple hundred fish on the 3" 3/8oz and 1/2oz now and the 894c handles them great fished like a jig or a swimbait. Soft enough to get good hooksets on a straight retrieve, and powerful enough to stick the hook when fished as a bottom contact bait.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 09, 2022 7:54 am

Updating this. I use my gen 1 xx EMTF for 3/8 and 1/2 oz Dark Sleepers. Rod is a little heavy but not too bad. I like the length to bomb the baits out there and the taper is great. It fishes like a slightly slower dedicated bottom contact rod that loads up and launches baits. Its a bit long and awkward skipping docks but I have other rods for that. I've had this JDM red seat EMTF for a while but didn't have a place for it until now. Temped to try a 3/4 oz bait on it but that might be a bit much for the rod. It feels stiff for a MH though so maybe it can handle it well? :-k. The Zodias 72M did fine with 3/8 oz baits but was too little rod for the 1/2 oz with 16# flouro. Useable and I do use it as a do everything kayak stick but when the Dark Sleeper bite is on I bring the EMTF.