The search for one (Lipless) Megabass Orochi xx EMTF vs Destroyer Javelin

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
trevor60
Angler
Angler

The search for one (Lipless) Megabass Orochi xx EMTF vs Destroyer Javelin

Post by trevor60 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 am

Good Day

I continue my search for a perfect Lipless crankbait rod. Reading through TT reviews there are potentially two rods that s interest me from Megabass the gen II Orochi xx EMTF and the Destroyer Javelin

would be used for
Lipless 3/8 to 3/4 primarily 1/2oz size
line braid
Reel used Daiwa J dream or Morethan 19

Is there a strong consensus for one over the other.

Thank you
Trevor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The search for one (Lipless) Megabass Orochi xx EMTF vs Destroyer Javelin

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Is there one perfect lipless rod? :lol: Asking because I feel that the ways to fish a lipless effectively are so different (burning vs yo-yo'ing), and to me, neither of the rods you're looking at are perfect if you expect to bottom-hop the lipless and not just burn it back (I feel they're too slow and - depending on your height - possibly too long).

Interested to hear what characteristics you like and don't like about the not-quite-perfect lipless rods that you've used until now. Personally, I like a fast taper for lipless to give me the option to hop them along the bottom. Been using an Xray Zbone 733 LMH for it a lot recently.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:04 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 pm
Is there one perfect lipless rod? :lol: Asking because I feel that the ways to fish a lipless effectively are so different (burning vs yo-yo'ing), and to me, neither of the rods you're looking at are perfect if you expect to bottom-hop the lipless and not just burn it back (I feel they're too slow and - depending on your height - possibly too long).

Interested to hear what characteristics you like and don't like about the not-quite-perfect lipless rods that you've used until now. Personally, I like a fast taper for lipless to give me the option to hop them along the bottom. Been using an Xray Zbone 733 LMH for it a lot recently.
I enjoy lipless crankbaits allot and try and cover all the techniques burning, stop and go, twitching, sweeping and to a lesser extent vertical jigging and yoyoing.

I fish primarily weed lakes and trying to find a rod that balances ripping through the weeds vs ripping the hooks out of basses mouths.

my primary rod a MH/F Rapala Concept Ti (is great for ripping through weed but gets too many felt hook pops when reeling in fish
The other rod is an M/F 7'7" Tatula it has nice action but it cannot rip through weeds but does a better job of pinning fish.

Cheers
Trevor

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:13 am

I don't own nor have I used a Javelin. Have quite a few Gen 1 XXs, including multiple EMTFs, DSRs and FSSs. Also have thrown lipless baits on MB Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Rolling. For my lipless fishing (scattered to heavier grass), I don't like the FSS, DSR or EMTF. The MB Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Rolling is a solid shorter rod option (7'1") as long as the grass isn't too heavy. My current "go to" lipless rods are a Dobyns Champ XP 705CB Glass and 765CB Glass. Matched with braid they are more than sensitive enough IMHO, throw the baits wells and most importantly, hook and land fish... All that being said, in keeping with the '"Search for one" theme, the best lipless rods I ever owned were a pair of Powell Max 754CB Glass, they were also very versatile as I used them for Squarebills (1.5-3.5), 5XD (in grass), 6XD (no grass), buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. I'm hoping a recently purchased Dobyns XP 735CB Glass will be similar.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:59 pm

I don’t own any Orochi but I have the FMJ, Otomat and Javelin and the Javelin is my favorite. I use it for mid to deep cranking and swimbaits on jigheads like keitech 3.8-4.8 on 3/8 - 1/2oz heads.

I haven’t really thrown traps on it, I don’t fish traps much at all. It was meant for ripping traps out of grass though. When I get cranks in grass, it has a good taper to rip them out fishing fluorocarbon. Ive also thrown football jigs on it with lighter wire hooks and you can still get a good hookset. I imagine if you put braid on the rod you could rip out of heavier weeds no issue. It’s one of my favorite rods in my arsenal.

The dobyns rods are good reaction bait rods too as another mentioned if budget is a concern. I have 704cb for jerkbait and 706cb for deep cranking (gets no use now after buying javelin).

Poison adrena medium heavy is probably another one you could look at. It would be lighter and better for bottom hopping. Nothing but good things to say about the javelin from me though.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:40 pm

thank you appreciate the feedback

Trevor

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Wow. I just purchased a javelin and a Gen 2 Levante EMTF. I had a chance to use the EMTF for lipless. It’s a hair squishy for medium-medheavy vegetation. I used the javelin for chatterbaits and it was awesome. I’ll let you know how it handles a lipless.

For what it’s worth, the best rod I ever used for lipless cranks was the cinnamon colored loomis CBR847. I’m leaning toward thinking the IMX pro CBR906 might be THE ONE.
robchik.com

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:26 pm

robchik04 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Wow. I just purchased a javelin and a Gen 2 Levante EMTF. I had a chance to use the EMTF for lipless. It’s a hair squishy for medium-medheavy vegetation. I used the javelin for chatterbaits and it was awesome. I’ll let you know how it handles a lipless.

For what it’s worth, the best rod I ever used for lipless cranks was the cinnamon colored loomis CBR847. I’m leaning toward thinking the IMX pro CBR906 might be THE ONE.
excellent thanks can't wait to hear how the Javelin tests

Trevor

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Update: Spent the day yesterday throwing lipless cranks on the javelin. If you have the chance to get one, do it. It’s an awesome rod for lipless cranks in vegetation. Seems a half power heavier than the g2 Levante EMTF. Really handled it well.
robchik.com