2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 pm
Comparing the Bottom Contact Rod to the NRX 893 doesn’t feel like an apples-to-apples comparison. The former is a true MH/Heavy jig rod rated up to 1oz (12-25lbs line rating), the latter is a MH/3-power rod rated up to 5/8oz (12-16lbs line rating). Doesn’t matter how much more sensitive the BC2 is (I remember several favorable comparisons to other jig rods in the sensitivity department), it’ll be incredibly hard to measure up to a rod that’s a power lighter.
Hold my Evian water
I intend to find out for the both of us
Should be here shortly
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:22 pm

I got both rods and I have just came from jig fishing with both rods..
There is no mistaking that there is a weight difference in the rods. After handling BC1 the BC2 seems like a feather and conversely the opposite makes the bc1 feel heavy. Now you already know that the BC2 has three double foot guide from the reel seat up and the bc1 only has one from the reel seat up.. What I found very interesting is reel seat placement.. the BC1 reel seat sits further back on the rod whereas the BC2 reel seat sits further up the rod. It may seem insignificant but it really makes a huge difference.
If I had to sumise the difference in the two rods I would say:

Structure = bottom contact ll
Cover = bottom contact l
( per the definitions in bass fishing as I understand them. )

I am writing this as if I was talking to myself and If I had to do it all over again would I buy one over the other or either.
With the BC1 its a med/hvy heavy! the BC2 is a med/hvy h-e-a-v-y.
Attachments
poopooii.jpeg
poopooii.jpeg (104.25 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
ddv.jpeg
ddv.jpeg (116.69 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
cci.jpeg
cci.jpeg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
bc1.jpeg
bc1.jpeg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
bc1.jpeg
bc1.jpeg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Sorry about the pictures I did the best I could but I think you can see how the reel seats compare.
I can see why there are so many BC1s for sale now....weight but for me I dont feels the need to sale both my BC1
I think the BC2 is more like 20 mono than 25 for the rating. but In my humble opinion and limited experience I would call one cover and there other structure because thats were I feel they will excel..

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:26 pm

I bought a Bottom Contact yesterday but which one did I buy? The one I have doesn't have cork and it just says Bottom Contact between the split grips

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:26 pm
I bought a Bottom Contact yesterday but which one did I buy? The one I have doesn't have cork and it just says Bottom Contact between the split grips

Jeff
That would be the Bottom Contact one or original or just BC1

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:45 pm

The heck with the rods Goldie those are some some fancy fishin’ boots. Probably match well with some tweed. They put my Simms G4’s to shame. =D>

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:26 pm

Jeff
That would be the Bottom Contact one or original or just BC1
No wonder why I got it so cheap lol
That's ok though, I'll put it to good use.
I also got a 7-4 xhy with tags but I put it up for sale. Don't need anything that heavy
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:09 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:45 pm
The heck with the rods Goldie those are some some fancy fishin’ boots. Probably match well with some tweed. They put my Simms G4’s to shame. =D>
Why thank you kind Sir!

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:56 am

Finally got my target sniper in. Now I'm just waiting for a reel to pair it with. Probably going to wait for the new zillion HD. Question for those of you that have used it. Would this rod be suitable for smaller frogs? Like the jackall kaera? I got this rod mostly for skipping plastics and jigs but just got in my head that it would be fun to skip docks with a small frog and also use it to skip into places a typical topwater won't reach. Plus I am new to skipping and thought a frog may be a good way to learn. Would mostly be in open water or light cover, we don't have a lot of heavy cover round these parts. Plus I have a airdx heavy as a dedicated frog rod.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am

I just picked up one of these new Steez rods. I am not impressed and I have not even fished it yet. Some pretty poor grade cork on this rod. Plus the cork handle smells like someone dunked it in a barrel of varnish/solvent. Completely unacceptable for a $550 rod!

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am
I just picked up one of these new Steez rods. I am not impressed and I have not even fished it yet. Some pretty poor grade cork on this rod. Plus the cork handle smells like someone dunked it in a barrel of varnish/solvent. Completely unacceptable for a $550 rod!
Balance and weight is good but I agree on the cork. Overall it doesn't feel like a $550 rod to me. When I picked up my target sniper I was also looking at the P5 tachyon shaft and in hindsight wish I would've picked it up instead. However maybe once I fish the rod I will change my mind. I also have a NRX 852s I haven't fished yet and I felt the same way about that rod but apparently its absolutely legendary and the performance is supposed to knock my socks off.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am
fishonsc wrote:
Balance and weight is good but I agree on the cork. Overall it doesn't feel like a $550 rod to me. When I picked up my target sniper I was also looking at the P5 tachyon shaft and in hindsight wish I would've picked it up instead. However maybe once I fish the rod I will change my mind. I also have a NRX 852s I haven't fished yet and I felt the same way about that rod but apparently its absolutely legendary and the performance is supposed to knock my socks off.
I have P5 Tachyon Shaft. Wish I would have bought a 2nd one. The way the cork smells is not going to cut it. You can not even fish with it. Your damn hands stink just holding it. Extremely pissed off!

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:22 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
I have P5 Tachyon Shaft. Wish I would have bought a 2nd one. The way the cork smells is not going to cut it. You can not even fish with it. Your damn hands stink just holding it. Extremely pissed off!
I still have the plastic cover on my cork now I am curious if mine is the same or if you just got some bad cork.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:22 pm
fishonsc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
fishonsc wrote:
I still have the plastic cover on my cork now I am curious if mine is the same or if you just got some bad cork.
Hoping it's a one off. Trying to get it exchanged now. If I am stuck with it. I will have to get new cork put on. No way you can catch anything with your hands smelling like solvent.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:30 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:56 am
Finally got my target sniper in. Now I'm just waiting for a reel to pair it with. Probably going to wait for the new zillion HD. Question for those of you that have used it. Would this rod be suitable for smaller frogs? Like the jackall kaera? I got this rod mostly for skipping plastics and jigs but just got in my head that it would be fun to skip docks with a small frog and also use it to skip into places a typical topwater won't reach. Plus I am new to skipping and thought a frog may be a good way to learn. Would mostly be in open water or light cover, we don't have a lot of heavy cover round these parts. Plus I have a airdx heavy as a dedicated frog rod.
Can it skip a small frog? Definitely... but personally I don't think the action is optimal. Really if it's in the weight range of the rod you can use a rod for whatever you want.

Now for skipping jigs, the rod is a beast. I've had mine most this season and it never has anything, but a 3/8oz jig on it.
You can do 1/2oz, but starting out at 3/8 is better. I don't even really throw 3/8 on mine, I chuck those on a Megabass P5 X-bites.
You want to get good at skipping, just practice with a jig because if you can skip a jig with various trailers a frog will be nothing.
If you want to practice and get good at it, get a SK skipping jig or any 3/8oz ball head jig and a flat bottom trailer like a Dbomb or SK rage bug and just go out with only that rod.