2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hawk82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Hawk82 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 pm

Which NRX+ spinning rods are comparable to the 3 AGS Steez rods.
Guessing the 902S would be replaced by the AGS 7’6” MML, 852S comparable to the 7’1 M, and the 822S DSR is comparable to the AGS 7’ML. For those of you who’ve fished both, what are your thoughts?

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 am

I have NRX+ rods as well as 2 Steez rods. I have not been blown away with “the one”. 7’6 MML. It’s maybe a little overhyped. I’m a long time Loomis user so there could be some built in bias. I took out my NRX+ 873CRR and new Steez 7’3 Versatile Player. I tied on the same jig and alternated back and forth. The NRX+ feels much stronger and solid IMO. It also felt more sensitive to me. I plan to keep both of the Steez rods, but so far at least, the NRX+ is still the premier rod.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:27 am

Hawk, I agree with your model comparisons. I went from NRX to steez and wont be going back. I did not have the new plus models (had originals) and I know they were tweaked a little but I did have conquest and NRX and Steez is a more well rounded rod.
Philippians 4:6

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:41 am

Hawk82 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 pm
Which NRX+ spinning rods are comparable to the 3 AGS Steez rods.
Guessing the 902S would be replaced by the AGS 7’6” MML, 852S comparable to the 7’1 M, and the 822S DSR is comparable to the AGS 7’ML. For those of you who’ve fished both, what are your thoughts?
I can tell you that the 902 and the old AGS 7'6 MML have much different tapers. The 902 has a parabolic taper where it bends deep into the blank which makes it good for spybaiting. The old AGS 7'6 MML has a softer tip, but a much faster action. This lends the rod to bottom contact and moving bait presentations. A closer comparison to the 7'6 MML Steez is the 872 even though it's three inches shorter.

The 852 and the 7'1 M are also much different. The Steez has a traditional fast action taper and is about a half power stronger. The 852 blank is extra extra fast.

I have no experience with the ML Steez to make a comparison.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:40 pm

I owned and fished the NRX 902S for several years. When the Conquest 902S was released, I purchased the Conquest and fished that rod and NRX 902S side-by-side for several trips. Posted my comparison (will see if I can find it). As a result, sold the NRX, kept the Conquest.

When the Steez SVF AGS 7’6” MML (EVA handle) was released, purchased two of the rods and fished the Steez and Conquest side-by-side again for several trips. As a result, sold the Conquest, kept the Steez SVF AGS rods.

When the Steez Compile-X AGS 7’6” MML was available, purchased rod and fished the it side-by-side with the Steez SVF. As a result, will be selling one of the Steez SVF rods, keeping one and the Steez Compile-X.

Also, purchased the Steez Compile-X AGS 7’2” Moving Bait Versatile and fished the rod side-by-side with the Conquest 842C. Sold the Conquest, kept the Steez Compile-X MBV.

Each of the NRX and Conquest rods had great performance, both sensitivity and fish handling. But both of the Steez rods offered a wider range of lure weights than the NRX and Conquest rods. And, in my hands, the Steez rods’ sensitivity and fish handling were at least comparable to the NRX and Conquest in sensitivity and fish handling.

Regards,
Doc

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 am

DrPerf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:40 pm
I owned and fished the NRX 902S for several years. When the Conquest 902S was released, I purchased the Conquest and fished that rod and NRX 902S side-by-side for several trips. Posted my comparison (will see if I can find it). As a result, sold the NRX, kept the Conquest.

When the Steez SVF AGS 7’6” MML (EVA handle) was released, purchased two of the rods and fished the Steez and Conquest side-by-side again for several trips. As a result, sold the Conquest, kept the Steez SVF AGS rods.

When the Steez Compile-X AGS 7’6” MML was available, purchased rod and fished the it side-by-side with the Steez SVF. As a result, will be selling one of the Steez SVF rods, keeping one and the Steez Compile-X.

Also, purchased the Steez Compile-X AGS 7’2” Moving Bait Versatile and fished the rod side-by-side with the Conquest 842C. Sold the Conquest, kept the Steez Compile-X MBV.

Each of the NRX and Conquest rods had great performance, both sensitivity and fish handling. But both of the Steez rods offered a wider range of lure weights than the NRX and Conquest rods. And, in my hands, the Steez rods’ sensitivity and fish handling were at least comparable to the NRX and Conquest in sensitivity and fish handling.

Regards,
Doc
Does the Moving Bait Versatile have a more parabolic taper than a Loomis MBR? How would you rate the power in Loomis' system, 2, 2.5, 3?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:43 am

Has anyone got some considerable time on the water with the 79H power versatile and the 74XH? I am considering between the 79H or the 74XH, or if cash allowing, possibly getting both. I’m looking to use it for flipping 1/2-3/4 jigs and T rigs with braid, and also bigger wake baits, buzzbaits, and 6” mag drafts. I know the 79H can handle most of what I have mentioned but is it a good choice for flipping/pitching with braid? I’m assuming the 74XH will do well with all of these techniques as well and maybe better for the flipping?

For reference, I have the gen.1 Steez AGS 74XH and love that rod for frogs and flipping 3/4-1oz jigs and t rigs. Is the new gen.2 74XH any different power and taper wise to the gen.1?

So I’m in a bit of a dilemma - I’m hoping to branch out and try the 79H, but still very curious how the new 74XH matches up to the old 74XH.

Thanks guys in advance for your help.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:59 am

jpmoney wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:43 am
Has anyone got some considerable time on the water with the 79H power versatile and the 74XH? I am considering between the 79H or the 74XH, or if cash allowing, possibly getting both. I’m looking to use it for flipping 1/2-3/4 jigs and T rigs with braid, and also bigger wake baits, buzzbaits, and 6” mag drafts. I know the 79H can handle most of what I have mentioned but is it a good choice for flipping/pitching with braid? I’m assuming the 74XH will do well with all of these techniques as well and maybe better for the flipping?

For reference, I have the gen.1 Steez AGS 74XH and love that rod for frogs and flipping 3/4-1oz jigs and t rigs. Is the new gen.2 74XH any different power and taper wise to the gen.1?

So I’m in a bit of a dilemma - I’m hoping to branch out and try the 79H, but still very curious how the new 74XH matches up to the old 74XH.
The 79H Universal Power rod is my go to 1 oz Dark Sleeper rod offshore and around grass. I can't stand carolina rigging, but this rod is incredible for the technique. Baits like the 1 oz. Megabass I-Jack are in its wheelhouse as well, and I've thrown the Jamaica Boa on it around grass flat edges and it will launch them. I've even done some deep cranking on the rod in a pinch and it handled them surprisingly well. It certainly has enough power, and a nice flex for doing some closer quarters work with braid around grass, but I'd much prefer the 74XH Heavy Cover Special, especially if you get to that 3/4 and 1 oz range stuff. I did a bunch of punching with it this fall with a 1 oz. weight and it was fantastic. Action and power are similar to the previous generation rod, but for me, comfort and sensitivity are noticeably better. I wouldn't have any issue using a 1/2 to 3/4 oz jig on the 79H as you've mentioned, but really at 3/4 oz or up to 1 oz, the 74XH does a better job for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:10 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:59 am
SUMMONING THE GREAT ONE
Ok, so I need some info to help with a decision...

P5 OneTen vs AGS 6'9 MUL

Would just like to hear your experiences with the two... pros/cons/etc.
Right now the only thing that has me leaning towards the AGS is technique versatility if needed, but I'm more concerned about finding a new dedicated jerkbait rod for Jackall Reranges, Vision 110s (JRs, 110, 110+1), Shadow Raps, etc.

Im sure they are both good for Vision 110 too, but which one do you believe moves down into the Vision JR easier and are either capable of handling the Vision 110 +2 without just feeling overburdened the whole time?

THX

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm

P5 OneTen vs Steez AGS 69M Universal Light...

Both fantastic rods, but very different. The P5 is a true Japan-style jerk bait rod first and foremost. Short, short handle, deep flex to the blank, amazing true jerk bait rod and handles the 110 like a champ. The way I fish a +2, the rod works fine in terms of action and power, but believe it or not, I prefer to throw my +2 on the Steez AGS 76MML. It seems odd, but that bait specifically, I want epic distance (enhanced by YGK SS112 sinking braid), precision drag (provided by Exist LT), and a slow, precise control.

Between the two, for a standard 110, it's a toss up. If you are the guy who prefers a faster, more crisp action, then the Steez is the winner. If you prefer that deeper flex, more rod absorbing action when working a jerk bait, the P5 is for you. Jerk bait fishing is one of those techniques that varies greatly in what the end user prefers.

Both rods handle the 110 JR very nicely with the aforementioned differences in mind. Both will handle the +2 taking into consideration their "medium" power, and the faster albeit not a true "fast" action of the Steez, and the more moderate action of the P5. Some may feel that both are over powered by the +2, but I like a lighter powered rod for deep jerk bait fishing.

The most significant difference comes in the versatility, where the Steez is far ahead. The lighter single hook applications this rod offers are impressive. I've thrown shaky heads, drop shots, finesse t-rigs, jig rigs, and other techniques that I wouldn't with the P5. I really enjoy the P5 110 rod, but it is dedicated to treble hook baits for me, and is a fantastic top water rod, and target casts a wide range of smaller cranks very nicely. Hope this rambling helps some!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

unfortunately the AGS guides of my blue Steez AGS 711MHXB are starting to fall apart and I have talked to Daiwa who asked me to send the rod in for inspection.

They also mentioned that I could switch to the equivalent model in the new AGS line up for 45% off the MSRP.

From my point of view "The Sensor" is the replacement, but also could see the "Target Sniper" as an option, or even the Utility Player.

I have been using my Steez AGS mainly for 5inch senkos, 1/4oz jigs and the occasional lipless crankbait, with 12#FC.

I am wondering which rod the exact replacement would be and if I could choose, which rod would you recommend me getting?

Is there are a noticeable difference in sensitivity or balance between these rods? How fragile is the Sensor's tip?

Thanks y'all!

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm
Hi guys,

unfortunately the AGS guides of my blue Steez AGS 711MHXB are starting to fall apart and I have talked to Daiwa who asked me to send the rod in for inspection.

They also mentioned that I could switch to the equivalent model in the new AGS line up for 45% off the MSRP.

From my point of view "The Sensor" is the replacement, but also could see the "Target Sniper" as an option, or even the Utility Player.

I have been using my Steez AGS mainly for 5inch senkos, 1/4oz jigs and the occasional lipless crankbait, with 12#FC.

I am wondering which rod the exact replacement would be and if I could choose, which rod would you recommend me getting?

Is there are a noticeable difference in sensitivity or balance between these rods? How fragile is the Sensor's tip?

Thanks y'all!
The Sensor is named what it is for a reason... however you won't be disappointed with the 7'3 UPlayer . It is definitely not a slouch and is now a dedicated T-Rig rod for me. It can do senkos, or a lipless on it... I've use it for 3/16 - 1/4oz finesse jigs too and even some chatterbaits. It does everything very well. For what you want to do, I would pass on the Target Sniper until you want a dedicated jig skipping rod cause that's what it excels at. Either the Sensor or UP will do what you want, but my choice would be the UP for the versatility which seems to be what you are after.
Last edited by Dan B on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 am

Dan B wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm
Hi guys,

Thanks y'all!
The Sensor is named what it is for a reason... however you won't be disappointed with the 7'3 UPlayer. It is defintely not a slouch in any department and is now a dedicated T-Rig rod for me. It can do senkos, or a lipless on it... I've use it for 3/16 - 1/4oz finesse jigs too and even some chatterbaits. It does everything very well. For what you want to do, I would pass on the Target Sniper until you want a dedicated jig skipping rod cause that's what it excels at. Either the Sensor or UP will do what you want, but my choice would be the UP for the versatility which seems to be what you are after.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:00 am

FYI, I believe the moving bait versatile is literally designed for everything you want to do... just food for thought.
I haven't fished with this one tho... I'm sure Bronz will chime in on that one.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:07 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:10 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:59 am
SUMMONING THE GREAT ONE
Ok, so I need some info to help with a decision...

P5 OneTen vs AGS 6'9 MUL

Would just like to hear your experiences with the two... pros/cons/etc.
Right now the only thing that has me leaning towards the AGS is technique versatility if needed, but I'm more concerned about finding a new dedicated jerkbait rod for Jackall Reranges, Vision 110s (JRs, 110, 110+1), Shadow Raps, etc.

Im sure they are both good for Vision 110 too, but which one do you believe moves down into the Vision JR easier and are either capable of handling the Vision 110 +2 without just feeling overburdened the whole time?

THX
Couple notes to supplement Bronzefly's comments as I was faced with exactly the same decision a few months ago: I wanted a 2nd dedicated jerkbait rod, had already ordered the P5 OneTen, cancelled that order and got the 6'9" Universal Light instead. I don't regret that purchase one bit because it is a really nice and versatile rod that I greatly enjoy fishing. I don't think it's a perfect dedicated jerkbait rod, though.

I haven't fished the P5 OneTen, so I defer to Bronzefly's comments, but his description seems to match my own expectations for jerkbait rods: a fast and crisp tip to whip that jerkbait into action, but then a slow transition into the blank to ease out of that whip. That's a weird and rare action to find (most rods are equally fast/slow in and out). The MUL doesn't have it.

From my perspective, if you get the 6'9" MUL you'll get a very good and versatile rod that works jerkbaits well. I've spent entire Jerkbait Days on Clear Lake just using the MUL (throwing a lot of Vision Jrs, as well, the rod isn't overpowered for that). But the MUL shuts down a bit too quickly, so each whip comes to too much of a screeching halt (at least IMO). If you really care about jerkbaits and those minute details are important to you, you might consider the P5 instead.

I'm assuming that the P5 OneTen eases out more gracefully instead based on Bronzefly's comments. My main jerkbait rods are still the 6'10" M Expride/Poison Adrena/Posion Glorious (I have all three, and all have that quick-in-slow-out action that I describe above).