2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Dan B » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:35 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am
fishonsc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am
I just picked up one of these new Steez rods. I am not impressed and I have not even fished it yet. Some pretty poor grade cork on this rod. Plus the cork handle smells like someone dunked it in a barrel of varnish/solvent. Completely unacceptable for a $550 rod!
Balance and weight is good but I agree on the cork. Overall it doesn't feel like a $550 rod to me. When I picked up my target sniper I was also looking at the P5 tachyon shaft and in hindsight wish I would've picked it up instead. However maybe once I fish the rod I will change my mind. I also have a NRX 852s I haven't fished yet and I felt the same way about that rod but apparently its absolutely legendary and the performance is supposed to knock my socks off.
I own a handful of a Steez rods, the Xbites and I had a buddies TachShaft for a couple weeks while we were trying out various rods... the Target Sniper is the best of them for what it is designed for. I don't know why people are having cork complaints because mine look great. Maybe it was a crap run and sourcing great cork is difficult with this covid crap? IDK. However I throw jigs 70% of the time and have put a lot of use into these rods and the Steez line more than exceeds my expectations. The TargetSniper has been awesome and the 7'3 Utility Player is now my go-to T-rig rod (can do so much more tho) and is my favorite casting rod I have owned. I sold a bunch of NRX/NRX+ rods and will be sticking with the Steez rods for sure.

The NRX+ 852s is the only one I have left, and won't be selling it. You should hold on to that guy too, if for nothing else but the versatility of that rod.
Last edited by Dan B on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:23 am

Not sure what the cork issue is being described but sounds like someone sealed the cork on yours with something other than U40. Did you get sent a new rod with wrap on the handle or is it possible you received someone's returned rod? I have a couple in the spinning line and the cork is perfect. Little filler used and look and smells great lol
Philippians 4:6

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:24 am

I bought both my Steez Compile-X AGS 7'6" MML spinner and 'Moving Bait Versatile' new from an authorized dealer.
Do not recall for certain about the spinner, but the MBV did not have plastic wrap around the cork.
Are all of the Compile-X AGS models supposed to have plastic wrap around the cork when new?

In any case, the cork on both rods is good quality, not the best I have had, but definitely acceptable. Also no 'off order' as described in the previous post. All the cork was treated with U-40 prior to first use.

And the rods have been excellent performers, replacing my last two Conquest rods (902S and 842C). The Bottom Contact II will likely be next.

Regards,
Doc

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:13 am

Dan B wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:35 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am
fishonsc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am
I just picked up one of these new Steez rods. I am not impressed and I have not even fished it yet. Some pretty poor grade cork on this rod. Plus the cork handle smells like someone dunked it in a barrel of varnish/solvent. Completely unacceptable for a $550 rod!
Balance and weight is good but I agree on the cork. Overall it doesn't feel like a $550 rod to me. When I picked up my target sniper I was also looking at the P5 tachyon shaft and in hindsight wish I would've picked it up instead. However maybe once I fish the rod I will change my mind. I also have a NRX 852s I haven't fished yet and I felt the same way about that rod but apparently its absolutely legendary and the performance is supposed to knock my socks off.
I own a handful of a Steez rods, the Xbites and I had a buddies TachShaft for a couple weeks while we were trying out various rods... the Target Sniper is the best of them for what it is designed for. I don't know why people are having cork complaints because mine look great. Maybe it was a crap run and sourcing great cork is difficult with this covid crap? IDK. However I throw jigs 70% of the time and have put a lot of use into these rods and the Steez line more than exceeds my expectations. The TargetSniper has been awesome and the 7'3 Utility Player is now my go-to T-rig rod (can do so much more tho) and is my favorite rod I have owned. I sold a bunch of NRX/NRX+ rods and will be sticking with the Steez rods for sure.

The NRX+ 852s is the only one I have left, and won't be selling it. You should hold on to that guy too, if for nothing else but the versatility of that rod.
Not to derail the thread talking about the 852s but I am pretty conflicted on rather or not I want to keep it. I've heard some people say it actually isn't all that versatile due to the XF tip. The only reason why I would get rid of it is because at that price point, not being in love with the aesthetics and not liking the grip on it( I like a full tapered foregrip) its hard to justify keeping around. Would rather be in love with it or just use a cheaper rod from the kayak. Kind of waiting for the re release of the p5 addermine or a price drop on existing exprides when the new version is released. All the people singing the praises of the 852s makes me want to keep it though.

On the topic of the steez target sniper, I took the plastic wrap off my cork today and no weird odor of any kind. I wonder if you got one that had a bad batch of cork or something.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:13 am
Not to derail the thread talking about the 852s but I am pretty conflicted on rather or not I want to keep it. I've heard some people say it actually isn't all that versatile due to the XF tip. The only reason why I would get rid of it is because at that price point, not being in love with the aesthetics and not liking the grip on it( I like a full tapered foregrip) its hard to justify keeping around. Would rather be in love with it or just use a cheaper rod from the kayak. Kind of waiting for the re release of the p5 addermine or a price drop on existing exprides when the new version is released. All the people singing the praises of the 852s makes me want to keep it though.

On the topic of the steez target sniper, I took the plastic wrap off my cork today and no weird odor of any kind. I wonder if you got one that had a bad batch of cork or something.
An XF tip doesn't limit the capabilities of the rod. You can cast a wide range of things on that rod and no matter what I've thrown at it it gets the job done. There is a reason the 852 and 872 have a huge following and are super easy to sell whether it's a NRX or NRX+.

I do agree about the grip if you don't have the NRX+. I never like the old style NRX grips.

I am also waiting to see how the P5 Addermine performs. I have a 2017 Destroyer Addermine and it's my favorite spinning rod I've owned. I've caught hundreds of fish on that thing and I have a hard time giving other rods a chance. Also dont overlook the Steez 7'1 ML. That's a great rod too and personally would be a good choice if you aren't happy with the NRX and sell it.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:46 am

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:23 am
Not sure what the cork issue is being described but sounds like someone sealed the cork on yours with something other than U40. Did you get sent a new rod with wrap on the handle or is it possible you received someone's returned rod? I have a couple in the spinning line and the cork is perfect. Little filler used and look and smells great lol
Rod is brand new. Still sealed with plastic when I got it. These pictures where taken right after taking it out of the package.
Attachments
20211208_153729.jpg
20211208_153729.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
20211208_153727.jpg
20211208_153727.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 3522 times

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:08 pm

Weird. If it had plastic and looks like that then it looks like it should. I sealed mine with U40 and have not noticed what you mentioned.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Seeing that it has those dark spots around the filler already I think the cork may have been exposed to moisture/had some trapped under the plastic somehow and could be slightly rotted? Just a thought.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:19 am

Lightly magic eraser the handle and put a light coat of U40 cork sealer on it and fish that thing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Speaking of the Target Sniper, does it fish like a traditional medium heavy, or perhaps a little bit lighter? I see people seem to prefer 3/8 oz jigs with it. I'm debating between this, the new 6'10 medium Poison Glorious, and perhaps the Gan Craft Killers Blood Lick model. Both of those rods are rated 8 - 16 lb test, which is more so what I'm after - a medium plus I guess. The Target Sniper is rated 10 - 20 lb test, so I assume it fishes a little bit heavier than the other 2 options. I'd be primarily using it for 4" paddle tails with a 3/16 oz head, open water / light cover for smallies. I'm worried it might have more beef than I prefer.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:24 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:42 pm
Speaking of the Target Sniper, does it fish like a traditional medium heavy, or perhaps a little bit lighter? I see people seem to prefer 3/8 oz jigs with it. I'm debating between this, the new 6'10 medium Poison Glorious, and perhaps the Gan Craft Killers Blood Lick model. Both of those rods are rated 8 - 16 lb test, which is more so what I'm after - a medium plus I guess. The Target Sniper is rated 10 - 20 lb test, so I assume it fishes a little bit heavier than the other 2 options. I'd be primarily using it for 4" paddle tails with a 3/16 oz head, open water / light cover for smallies. I'm worried it might have more beef than I prefer.
I have only had mine out a couple of times. To me it is a true MH rod. I have been using it for pitching a 4" beaver pigged with a 3/8 weight. IMHO it is to fast and the handle is to short for casting 4" paddle tails. It is a true skipping/pitching rod. I really enjoy the P5 cyclone for what you are describing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:09 am

fishonsc wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:24 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:42 pm
I have only had mine out a couple of times. To me it is a true MH rod. I have been using it for pitching a 4" beaver pigged with a 3/8 weight. IMHO it is to fast and the handle is to short for casting 4" paddle tails. It is a true skipping/pitching rod. I really enjoy the P5 cyclone for what you are describing.
Thanks for the reply. This is kinda what I had figured.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:48 am

These just don't have the X factor for me. The AGS is cool but the whole rod looks rather ordinary. Conservative even. No buttcap. Cork grips. Cork with filler even. No eye popping treatments in the split grip area. Just some paint and black winding checks. Not sold on the weird looking spiral lock nut treatment. I want to naturally gravitate to a MB or even one of the triangle carbon grip UFO Shimano rods. Some of the tapers sound dead on for future rods for me though so doing to have to keep an eye out on these.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no doubt. These rods do have the X factor to me. I have two and will be buying more. I think they hit the look (happy medium) between a kistler and a Megabass. They are sensitive and versatile. Big Shimano fan and these have me looking at a lot more Daiwa products.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:00 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:48 am
These just don't have the X factor for me. The AGS is cool but the whole rod looks rather ordinary. Conservative even. No buttcap. Cork grips. Cork with filler even. No eye popping treatments in the split grip area. Just some paint and black winding checks. Not sold on the weird looking spiral lock nut treatment. I want to naturally gravitate to a MB or even one of the triangle carbon grip UFO Shimano rods. Some of the tapers sound dead on for future rods for me though so doing to have to keep an eye out on these.
Lol you are obsessed with silly window treatment.