2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:58 am

Freddie wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:57 pm
How is the 6'9" medium-light with ned rigs? Is it sensitive enough for finesse bottom contact applications? I believe its rated from 1/8-5/8 oz.
I assume you mean the 6'9" Universal Light (not medium-light). In my mind it's a good power-finesse rod for jumbo Ned rigs or with 1/4oz heads. It's not about sensitivity per se, but I think it's too heavy for traditional Ned rids (which I have pegged as 1/8oz heads with small 3" worms, and which are usually thrown on ML-rated rods).
Rodster14 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:36 am
Would the Moving Bait Versatile make a good top water rod (Shower Blows 105 is tied on most of the time)? When top water isn’t on, it would be used for a little bit of everything else.
I've used it for poppers and walking baits, yes. The taper is moderate enough to work with treble hooks. Dunno if I'd buy it as a dedicated topwater rod, though.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:28 pm

Freddie wrote:
How is the 6'9" medium-light with ned rigs? Is it sensitive enough for finesse bottom contact applications? I believe its rated from 1/8-5/8 oz.
I haven't used mine for Ned rigs as I bought mine for light inshore fishing, but using a 1/8oz jighead and 3inch paddletail for speckled trout the sensitivity is outstanding. Hits come through amazingly clearly. Paired with an Alphas sv tw and 16lb Sunline sniper, casting distance with those lures is excellent, and I have no doubt it could handle lighter with no problems.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:54 pm

MeatHead wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:28 pm
Freddie wrote:
I haven't used mine for Ned rigs as I bought mine for light inshore fishing, but using a 1/8oz jighead and 3inch paddletail for speckled trout the sensitivity is outstanding. Hits come through amazingly clearly. Paired with an Alphas sv tw and 16lb Sunline sniper, casting distance with those lures is excellent, and I have no doubt it could handle lighter with no problems.
I'm looking for a versatile medium to medium-light to replace my ML Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier. Specs are very similar but I'm concerned the Universal Light won't fish a 5 gram bottom contact (Cheburashka+TRD TubeZ) very well as 10 grams is more in the middle of its weight range.

However, I'm using straight FC so maybe that will help with sensitivity....

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:36 pm

Freddie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:54 pm
MeatHead wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:28 pm
Freddie wrote:
I'm looking for a versatile medium to medium-light to replace my ML Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier. Specs are very similar but I'm concerned the Universal Light won't fish a 5 gram bottom contact (Cheburashka+TRD TubeZ) very well as 10 grams is more in the middle of its weight range.

However, I'm using straight FC so maybe that will help with sensitivity....
I fish 3/16oz heads (so: 5g) heads plus FattyZ worms on the UL and it does well, but those worms are longer (almost 5 inches) and heavier than those tiny TRD tubes. To fish what you describe (i.e. I have 5g Chebu heads that I use regular TRD Ned worms on) I'd stay with a ML rod. Especially because Elaztech is so buoyant that it makes the bait feel even lighter.

The 7'6" MML is a great Steez AGS rod for heavier/deep-water Neds; for 5g + trailer I'd use this rod over the Universal Light if I was given the choice. But of course it's way longer than the UL (and a spinning rod). The 761MML is super versatile, though, it can do tons of stuff (and you'll find a lot of info if you search this forum).

These Steez AGS rods are super sensitive in general, up there with a lot of other halo rods. Not disqualifying them for your applications based on their baseline sensitivity, it just feels like the Universal Light (as a M rod) will have too heavy a tip for good bottom contact deflection on the light baits you're describing. It'll do it, and do it well. But it won't be awesome at it.

At least IMO :)

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:07 pm

jejenkyns wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:51 am
How would the 7'3 UP compare with the p5 X-Bites in terms of application, power and action?
The Steez 7'3" MH Utility Player has a little more power than X-Bites. I find it more versatile than the X-Bites, but the X-Bites is a great T-rig rod as it's extremely light, crisp, and sensitive. It just doesn't do as many other things as well as the Utility Player - spinner baits, buzz baits, vibrating jigs, etc.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:04 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:07 pm
jejenkyns wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:51 am
How would the 7'3 UP compare with the p5 X-Bites in terms of application, power and action?
The Steez 7'3" MH Utility Player has a little more power than X-Bites. I find it more versatile than the X-Bites, but the X-Bites is a great T-rig rod as it's extremely light, crisp, and sensitive. It just doesn't do as many other things as well as the Utility Player - spinner baits, buzz baits, vibrating jigs, etc.
Thanks for uour response. So is the Xbites more similar to "the sensor" then?

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:35 pm

Would love more info on Daiwa Steez AGS STAGS6101LXS-SMT “Ned rig” rod. Anyone have time with it yet? Thoughts?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:50 pm

jejenkyns wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:04 pm
Yes, I find those two to be more comparable than X-Bites to the Utility Player. They are definitely closer in power with the Sensor still having a faster action.
Jrob wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:35 pm
Would love more info on Daiwa Steez AGS STAGS6101LXS-SMT “Ned rig” rod. Anyone have time with it yet? Thoughts?
Yes! What a fun rod overall. I'm not a huge ned rig guy, but I do enjoy throwing it from time to time. This rod allows you to impart a great shaking action that makes those little ned baits dance with ease. The tip is super light, fast, and the rod is incredibly crisp and sensitive.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:08 pm

Does anyone have experience with the 6'8" "finesse game special" light? seems like it might be the light casting ned rod in the line up...

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:02 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:50 pm
jejenkyns wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:04 pm
Yes, I find those two to be more comparable than X-Bites to the Utility Player. They are definitely closer in power with the Sensor still having a faster action.
Jrob wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:35 pm
Yes! What a fun rod overall. I'm not a huge ned rig guy, but I do enjoy throwing it from time to time. This rod allows you to impart a great shaking action that makes those little ned baits dance with ease. The tip is super light, fast, and the rod is incredibly crisp and sensitive.

Thanks for the response. I fish a lot of NED stuff throughout the year. I’m going to give it a go.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:16 am

Freddie wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:08 pm
Does anyone have experience with the 6'8" "finesse game special" light? seems like it might be the light casting ned rod in the line up...
Yes! There were several prototypes of this model that were outstanding, and the final version is a unique and interesting rod that I enjoy fishing. I consider it more a ML than a true L power with an extra fast action - Megatop style. It's well suited to finesse oriented single hook applications like ned rigs, drop shots, finesse t-rig, shaky head stuff, but does a very nice job with smaller treble baits too.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

mkc
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mkc » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:54 pm

Freddie wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:08 pm
I have this paired with an Aldebaran BFS and it is one of my favorite rods right now. I have mostly used it for 1/16 - 1/8 jig heads with 2.8” - 3.3” swim baits (spark shad, fat swing impact, etc) and it is a very fun rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:37 pm

Does the Target Sniper fish like what most would consider a true and typical medium heavy? Can you comfortably fish a half ounce jig on it? What is the taper like, and where abouts does the blank shut off under load? Would you say it's fairly versatile, or mostly equipped for bottom contact presentations?

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:01 pm

Does someone have the weight of the Steez AGS 6'9" universal light?

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:41 pm

Freddie wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:01 pm
Does someone have the weight of the Steez AGS 6'9" universal light?
Just weighed mine to check. Weighed 3.7oz