2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Dan B » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 am
reason162 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 pm
Anyone have a weight on the Moving Bait Versatile?

Looking for a longer jerkbait rod - 110s in MB/Duo/Jackall rerange etc - from kayak and shore.
It's approximately 112g or 4 oz. I've used mine for Vision 110's and Pointer 100's quite a bit and I like how it performs. I tend to use the 6'9" Medium Universal Light for jerk baits more than the MBV because I prefer the shorter length. I throw a lot of light swim jigs, cranks, flukes, smaller spinner baits and chatter baits, and even some wacky senko on my MBV - it is capable of doing a lot.
Everytime Bronzefly makes a post I can actually hear my wallet cry a little bit. Someone needs to mute this guy on the forums for 30 days. I've hit my Tackletrap limit for the year...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Dan B wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm
JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:26 am

I'm three deep between the UP, PP, and MBV. Kinda want the Sniper and Sensor, but don't NEED them (unless I wanna replace my old Orochi Spinnerbait Special).

They are just fantastic rods. Just need a money tree for more.
I haven't used them all, but I have a feeling the UP is the most versatile one in the group IMO, and can comfortably cast a wide range of weights. I've thrown 5/16 finesse jigs on it and then turned around and threw a 1/2oz chatterbait with a lake fork magic shad on it. With that said, it's my dedicated T-rig/Senko rod now... and I feel like if I owned 2 of them, I could probably sell about 5 of my other rods if I really wanted to and not even care.

It really comes down to what you will use the rod for, or do you just want it for the wide range. If you're like me and you throw a jig 70% of the time, that Target Sniper is a great pick. I can skip jigs with that sucker all day with minimal issues and still has the nuts to drag a fish out from a dock/cover.

Seeing how my TS/UP will handle 1/4-1/2oz jigs, I wouldn't get the PP unless you plan on throwing 1/2-3/4 on it all the time... I've heard that rod is pretty stiff. not saying thats a bad thing if you want that.
On the 72H Power Pitch - yes, it has good, powerful backbone, but it has a very nicely loading tip that makes pitching 1/2 oz jigs to cover a breeze. It can easily handle some heavier pitching duties, frogs, deep water jigs, etc. I fished the final prototype in Louisiana on a Redfish trip and threw 1/4 oz jig heads with shrimp on it and landed a very large "Goujon", even caught a big red on a full sized Vixen. I'm not saying those are ideal applications, but the rod isn't a broom stick by any stretch and is impressively sensitive!
Dan B wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 am
bronzefly wrote:
reason162 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 pm
Anyone have a weight on the Moving Bait Versatile?

Looking for a longer jerkbait rod - 110s in MB/Duo/Jackall rerange etc - from kayak and shore.
It's approximately 112g or 4 oz. I've used mine for Vision 110's and Pointer 100's quite a bit and I like how it performs. I tend to use the 6'9" Medium Universal Light for jerk baits more than the MBV because I prefer the shorter length. I throw a lot of light swim jigs, cranks, flukes, smaller spinner baits and chatter baits, and even some wacky senko on my MBV - it is capable of doing a lot.
Everytime Bronzefly makes a post I can actually hear my wallet cry a little bit. Someone needs to mute this guy on the forums for 30 days. I've hit my Tackletrap limit for the year...
Well, the fiscal year just started over on October 1 so we should be good to go on your next addition :lol: Thank you again and I'm glad you are enjoying the new 21 Steez AGS rods. They really are something special as a group and I'm very fortunate to have and use them all :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thanks Gary!

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:36 am

bronzefly wrote:
+1 on the Moving Bait Versatile. After a very informative discussion with Gary, I purchased the MBV for most of the techniques listed in his post that I have been using a Conquest 842C for.

Paired with an Alphas SV TW, the MBV performed well at the California Delta last Sunday, although it was more "numbers" than size for that combination. Back at the Delta tomorrow and with the change in weather over the past few days, I anticipate a "bigger bite" :D

The bigger fish last Sunday were with finesse plastics 'bite' using the 7'6" AGS Compile X ("The One"). In addition to outstanding sensitivity, the rod had enough backbone/power to pull a good sized bass (4 lb.) through a weed patch it was in =D>

Regards,
Doc

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:29 pm

The hook keeper on my Universal Light was missing after my trip this morning. No idea when it come off, but that rubber loop never felt very tight in the first place compared to the Fuji keepers. Does anybody know if & where I can get a replacement keeper? Has anybody contacted to Daiwa about it?

I guess I could just add a standard Fuji keeper to the rod instead, but I rather enjoyed the one that comes with the new AGS line.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:29 pm
The hook keeper on my Universal Light was missing after my trip this morning. No idea when it come off, but that rubber loop never felt very tight in the first place compared to the Fuji keepers. Does anybody know if & where I can get a replacement keeper? Has anybody contacted to Daiwa about it?

I guess I could just add a standard Fuji keeper to the rod instead, but I rather enjoyed the one that comes with the new AGS line.
You can have mine
Just pm me your address and pay shipping
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:29 am

Nice Save Goldie =D>

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:14 am

Cristo wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:29 am
Nice Save Goldie =D>

I didn't like it..
I'll ship asap , i have been to the docs seems a ligament is a pretty big deal for walking and siting
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:14 am

It's much appreciated, no rush! I kinda like those hook keepers - small and variable enough to put anywhere (like the Fuji ones), but with an open loop at the bottom so I can slide t-rigged baits and DS weights underneath. Biggest issues is that the rubber loop to hold it on isn't all that strong (as we just saw).

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:34 am

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:14 am
It's much appreciated, no rush! I kinda like those hook keepers - small and variable enough to put anywhere (like the Fuji ones), but with an open loop at the bottom so I can slide t-rigged baits and DS weights underneath. Biggest issues is that the rubber loop to hold it on isn't all that strong (as we just saw).
Here now at the post office
Came earlier but it was cash only. So between doctor visit I had to coordinate atm in the local area. Now that I’m here there’s only. 1 Yepper one person at the counter. I won’t be discouraged we shall ship today!
Mailing off handle and spool as well so this has to get done but the challenges have been daunting

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:46 am

Anyone have experience with either the 7'4" or 7'11" as a smaller SB stick? Torn between these two for some SB work on the light range type single as well as treble hooked variations. Lowest denominator would be 5" spark shads with belly weighted 6/0 hook. Thanks TT!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:00 am

Oh and high end treble hook profiles would in the 2oz-2.25oz range. I'm not sure if that's asking those rods to do too much :-k although I wasn't afraid to swing said profiles on my 8-foot hyuga which I did for a good consistent season I feel like and wasn't afraid to sling

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 am

I spent a little time on the ponds with the 74XH Heavy Cover Special and 711XH Pitch Flip Punch and a 2 oz Deps Bullshooter and Deps Slide Swimmer 145 (1.8 oz). I think both of these rods are very single hook swim bait capable, easily with the spark shads and 6/0 hook. I was easily able to lob cast both of these baits on each rod. While I don't think either rod is ideal for 2 oz swim baits, I was actually surprised how well they could handle them. Granted, I haven't spent hours upon hours grinding it out with these rods as I tend to use them more inline with their design, but I'm glad you asked this question so I could stretch them out a bit!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:07 am

Super dope Gary thanks for filling me in and get me over the edge not that I wasn't already it was more or less which one I wanted to get first again I wouldn't necessarily utilize them as 2 oz treble hook baits but in a pinch would be nice to know that I could do so with the right type of sensibilities as I felt like my 8-foot hyuga was pretty fun to fish with the 7-inch triple trout again not ideal for that Rod but in my hands it was really fun to load that type of Rod up and let it do its work to launch the the bait effortlessly. I'm super stoked to hear the news about the five inch spark shad and 6/0 hook combo :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: As that would being a primary duty. it looks like I'm very much looking forward to making one of those part of my squad thanks again my man =D> =D> =D>

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Anyone care to chime in regarding the finesse spinning rod, thinking about it for dragging DS? Any general input regarding experience and applications would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!