2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Hennessy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 am

Well I just got a decent deal on the 7’3MH for $439, free shipping & no tax. Going to be doing a direct comparison with my 7’3MH poison Adrena, for sensitivity & the better spinnerbait/chatterbait rod. Landbigfish has a few models left in the lineup, 21LABOR to get 20% off if anyone is interested. Tight Lines!

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:42 am

I'm waiting for the new ballistic MQ for mine. Nice choice! The handle is very comfortable!
Philippians 4:6

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 am
Well I just got a decent deal on the 7’3MH for $439, free shipping & no tax. Going to be doing a direct comparison with my 7’3MH poison Adrena, for sensitivity & the better spinnerbait/chatterbait rod. Landbigfish has a few models left in the lineup, 21LABOR to get 20% off if anyone is interested. Tight Lines!
Damn.. thats a great deal! The new steez ags lines are great rods and my 7'3 MH just arrived today. :D

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 pm
Hennessy wrote:
Damn.. thats a great deal! The new steez ags lines are great rods and my 7'3 MH just arrived today. :D
So what’s your initial impressions of the rod? What applications are you using it for. Reel you plan on using on it?

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:58 am

Hennessy wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:19 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 pm
Hennessy wrote:
So what’s your initial impressions of the rod? What applications are you using it for. Reel you plan on using on it?
The rod is pretty light just like the other steez ags rods and just like the rod stated "utility player," i will be using it for alot of things from jigs, swimbaits, and whatever it can cast actually. Im also pairing it with the new zillion reel.
And im having a problem with these rods after using them i find myself trying to buy more lol.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi guys,

I am playing with the idea to replace my BC version1 with the newest version. Three things are bugging me a bit with the Version1.

1. EVA grip
2. Taper being more moderate fast, rather than a true fast
3. Placement of hook keeper

I would use this rod for 1/2oz Jigs and 1/2-3/4oz weighted plastics.

So, wondering if I should look at the BC version 2 or if I should also consider a different rod in the line up.

Thanks all!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:11 pm

bbates3 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:10 pm
Ok so comparing the new Steez bc2 to the orginal bc

Here ya go

First weight ...

The new one is an ounce lighter

The new one has 1 more guide in the guide train also

The new one has a slightly longer handle not much though

The blank diameter on the new one in between the split grips is also larger in diameter. Not sure if they modeled these after a point blank taper but they upped the butt diameter

Here they are on the deflection chart

The new one is up front.

ImageUntitled by benjie bates, on Flickr

When I first got the new one I was like oh this one is less powerful but that isn’t the case it’s just a lot lighter and threw me off plus I didn’t have the original at the office to compare.

Both are great. I’m not getting rid of my original.

I’m going to keep both models and compare with more on the water

If you don’t have one then I would get in a pre order and get the new one.

If you have the original and like it I would probably just buy a different model in the new line and keep the original unless saving the weight is worth it to you.

I got the new one mainly because I fish both inshore and bass fish. This year I’ll be on the saltwater more than fresh.

I’ve got the svtw and Zpi spool on my original I won’t take that in the salt and it’s freshwater use only.

But I still enjoy fishing high end gear so I’ll take the new one out though in the salt with steez a and fish it from time to time

thanks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:05 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:18 pm

2. Taper being more moderate fast, rather than a true fast
This is why I've been reluctant to buy another steez rod.
Havent owned one since the gen 1's though. After that, I assumed most all japanese rods had this more parabolic fast action. Then I purchaded a '16 Poison Glorious Hyper approach. It had American speed and power, so I've stuck with the jdm shimanos (9 now). The jdm steez has tempted me...if it was a cork handled rod I'd probably have already ordered the strike force. I'm guessing Daiwa saved money by etching the lockdown nut on the usdm model versus actually cutting the design out like the jdm version.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:32 am

Interesting i didn't have the hyper approach for a long time but i remember it was a typical jdm reg fast/moderate fast to me. Reminder that rods can feel different in everyone's hands and varies when it comes to tapers and power

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:37 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:11 pm
bbates3 wrote:

Here ya go

First weight ...

The blank diameter on the new one in between the split grips is also larger in diameter. Not sure if they modeled these after a point blank taper but they upped the butt diameter

The new one is up front.

When I first got the new one I was like oh this one is less powerful but that isn’t the case it’s just a lot lighter and threw me off plus I didn’t have the original at the office to compare.

If you have the original and like it I would probably just buy a different model in the new line and keep the original unless saving the weight is worth it to you.

I got the new one mainly because I fish both inshore and bass fish. This year I’ll be on the saltwater more than fresh.

I’ve got the svtw and Zpi spool on my original I won’t take that in the salt and it’s freshwater use only.

But I still enjoy fishing high end gear so I’ll take the new one out though in the salt with steez a and fish it from time to time

thanks
Thank you for posting this!

Not big enough of a difference for me.

Does anybody have the 7'2'' Heavy? Wondering if that rod has a true (extra) fast taper.

Thanks!

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:37 pm
goldrod wrote:
bbates3 wrote:

Here ya go

First weight ...

The new one is up front.

thanks

Does anybody have the 7'2'' Heavy? Wondering if that rod has a true (extra) fast taper.

Thanks!
I don't own it (yet, it's in the mail), but one of my best friends has his and has been fishing it a good bit. On video call the other night, he showed me the taper and the taper of the NRX 873C CRR, and they're pretty stinkin' close. He says the power pitch feels like a heavier action version of the CRR (which is why I bought one, because jigs are life). Depending on how honest you think Loomis is with their actions, it certainly is a true fast AT LEAST. I think of the 873C CRR as a fast way more than an ex-fast.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:35 am

JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:37 pm
goldrod wrote:
bbates3 wrote:

Here ya go

First weight ...

The new one is up front.

thanks

Thanks!
I don't own it (yet, it's in the mail), but one of my best friends has his and has been fishing it a good bit. On video call the other night, he showed me the taper and the taper of the NRX 873C CRR, and they're pretty stinkin' close. He says the power pitch feels like a heavier action version of the CRR (which is why I bought one, because jigs are life). Depending on how honest you think Loomis is with their actions, it certainly is a true fast AT LEAST. I think of the 873C CRR as a fast way more than an ex-fast.
Hmmmm, that’s a interesting observation. I just looked at the specs on the 7’5mh/h bottom contact & it should be less powerful than the 7’2H. Which makes me think the 7’5Mh/h would be power wise, pretty close to the 873 crr, just 2 inches longer. After owning 1 ags already I won’t hesitate to replace my 873 with the 7’5 bottom contact rod if that’s the case

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:26 am

These rods are the real deal. I've been fishing the 6'9 Target Sniper and 7'3 Utility Player for several weeks now and all I can say is holy ****. The 6'9 TS was so good for skipping jigs that my Conquest 844 has now been sold. The 7'3 UP is very versatile as designed, but it's fantastic as a T-rig rod... it will probably be dedicated to that from here on out. The only other rod I'm using for bottom contact, other than extremely heavy stuff, is a P5 X-bites. I've sold every NRX & NRX+ I had now except my NRX+ 852s and that's only because its so versatile and I like the new handle. But I'll still be picking up a Steez AGS spinning rod here soon from Bronzefly.

If you want one, just buy it... you will only be disappointed if you don't pull the trigger.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 am

Also, if anyone wants the ultimate combo setup for that "float in your hand" feeling with a super smooth reel... the 7'3 MH Utility Player with a Antares A is the deal. I've tried putting everything from Chronarchs, Metaniums, Bantams, various Steez models, and even the 2021 Antares DC on this rod... and the Antares A is the cream of the crop. The way it moves the center of gravity on this rod the combo is perfectly balanced in the center of your palm. Something about the Asymmetric reel shape and the Daiwa reel seat just feels perfect in hand too.

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Post by robertjb7771 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Anyone fishing the steez 7’11 xheavy punching rod yet? I just pulled the trigger on it and curious to see how it stacks up to the previous model. I have a expride 7’11 I can compare it with , hope it lives up to the hype…