2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 pm

I had the chance to handle the 7'2H and the 7'4XH today.

I have to say that I am not blown away at all. After all the rave here, i had expected probably a bit more.

Yes, they are comparably lighter and they look cool (not nearly Racing Design cool but better as a NRX+!).

The 7'2H felt better balanced and had a nice fast tip. It didnt feel like a true heavy to me. More like a medium heavy plus. When i played a bit with a 1.25oz lure, i got th feeling that the rod was pushing its limits. I put the same lure on my BC version 1 and the rod handled this weight much better. Maybe this is caused by the much faster taper of the 7'2h, but overall I would be concerned to use this rod in heavy cover with such a big lure.
Others seem to have successfully used the rod in such situations. So maybe it is just my preference of rod for cover activities..

Moved to the 7'4xh and compared it to my Steez XBD frog rod. The XBD weighs clearly more than the new Steez. But! The XBD has double footed guides, has more power and also is better balanced in my hands (reel was the latest Morethan). While the XBD balanced nicely right in front of the reel nut, the new Steez felt quite tip heavy in comparison.

Additionally , i personally like the reel seat of the XBD and the one on my blue Steez AGS quite a bit better. It lies more comfortable in my hand where the new Steez reel seat (it feels very similar to the one on the first gen Steez BC ) is too thin and straight (if that makes sense) for my larger hands.

I have not fished them, so the ultimate on the water test didnt happen. Hence I do not want to make an ultimate statement here. But I have to say that this first handling experience was "meh" enough to pass on the rod for now.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:31 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 pm
Freelancer, if you have the ability/gear for it, try them with a Shimano reel instead of a Daiwa. The 7'3 MH UP is hands down my new favorite rod, to the point I will be buying a second one which I never do. I try to get my hands on as many rods as I can and try stuff at least at once and buying multiple of the same doesn't help that quest. But like every other rod I had to match up the right reel to it... some it will be night and day obvious what works for it.

With regards to Daiwa reels on AGS rods... I tried a Steez SV TW, 2021 Zillion SV, Steez EX, Tatula SV Elite, and the Steez A. While the Steez A was kind of good, I didn't enjoy any of the other Daiwa reels on those rods tbh. MY 6'9 Target sniper was maybe the only rod I would run that on... my observation is the reel feet set the Daiwa reels a little farther back towards to the butt of the rod which gives a weird balance/out of place feel to the reel nut on these rods.

So I tried a bunch of Shimanos ( Metanium MGL/DC body styles, Antares A, Bantam/Metanium 20 size, and Chronarch MGLS), and they all feel better than the Daiwa reels in my hand... the best 2 would definitely be the Metanium DC (or MGL if you want) and the Antares A. But even the Chronarch MGLs were way better feeling in hand than my Steez reels... sad day. (Win for the Chronarch MGL though cause I feel they are one of the most under rated reels out there).

On my 6'9 Target Sniper I will be using a Metanium DC /17 Fluoro on it from here on out. It size fits the combo just perfect and since it's a dedicated jig skipping rod the DC is nice to have anyways.
The 7'3 Utility Player is running my Antares A /15 Fluoro and it is the best feeling setup I own... I love this combo so much I can't even explain it. It is a standout rod not only in this rod series, but all rods being made. I hope everyone gets a chance to own one. I've been thinking of even typing up a full detailed review what I've done with this thing and post it up here some time soon.

Sorry, kind of a ramble on that one, but moral of the story is try some other reels. In regards to 1.25oz being a struggle on a rod that is max 1.5oz, thats common for pretty much 90%+ of the rod makers out there. Obviously the rod will handle it, but you know you've already past the rods sweet spot at that point.

Hope any of this helps.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:08 am

Excellent information! 8-)

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:19 pm

Dan B wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:31 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Freelancer, if you have the ability/gear for it, try them with a Shimano reel instead of a Daiwa. The 7'3 MH UP is hands down my new favorite rod, to the point I will be buying a second one which I never do. I try to get my hands on as many rods as I can and try stuff at least at once and buying multiple of the same doesn't help that quest. But like every other rod I had to match up the right reel to it... some it will be night and day obvious what works for it.

With regards to Daiwa reels on AGS rods... I tried a Steez SV TW, 2021 Zillion SV, Steez EX, Tatula SV Elite, and the Steez A. While the Steez A was kind of good, I didn't enjoy any of the other Daiwa reels on those rods tbh. MY 6'9 Target sniper was maybe the only rod I would run that on... my observation is the reel feet set the Daiwa reels a little farther back towards to the butt of the rod which gives a weird balance/out of place feel to the reel nut on these rods.

So I tried a bunch of Shimanos ( Metanium MGL/DC body styles, Antares A, Bantam/Metanium 20 size, and Chronarch MGLS), and they all feel better than the Daiwa reels in my hand... the best 2 would definitely be the Metanium DC (or MGL if you want) and the Antares A. But even the Chronarch MGLs were way better feeling in hand than my Steez reels... sad day. (Win for the Chronarch MGL though cause I feel they are one of the most under rated reels out there).

On my 6'9 Target Sniper I will be using a Metanium DC /17 Fluoro on it from here on out. It size fits the combo just perfect and since it's a dedicated jig skipping rod the DC is nice to have anyways.
The 7'3 Utility Player is running my Antares A /15 Fluoro and it is the best feeling setup I own... I love this combo so much I can't even explain it. It is a standout rod not only in this rod series, but all rods being made. I hope everyone gets a chance to own one. I've been thinking of even typing up a full detailed review what I've done with this thing and post it up here some time soon.

Sorry, kind of a ramble on that one, but moral of the story is try some other reels. In regards to 1.25oz being a struggle on a rod that is max 1.5oz, thats common for pretty much 90%+ of the rod makers out there. Obviously the rod will handle it, but you know you've already past the rods sweet spot at that point.

Hope any of this helps.
Thanks Dan for your perspective! You definitely sound in love with the 7'3 Utility Player! ;-) I am currently using the NRX + 893c in this department. So, not sure if I will get the chance to use one any time soon.

I played with my Antares A on the 7'2H for a second as well (should have mentioned it), which could not really change my rather negative impression of the reel seat. Heck, it is not that bad. I am running another Morethan on my Steez BC I and I can manage. Probably getting nostalgic feelings of having the old reel seat go... :crying:

Any I think I can speak for multiple people here, when I say that we would really appreciate a in-depth review of the Utility Player! :)

Cheers!

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:11 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:19 pm
Dan B wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:31 am
freelancer27 wrote:

Hope any of this helps.
Thanks Dan for your perspective! You definitely sound in love with the 7'3 Utility Player! ;-) I am currently using the NRX + 893c in this department. So, not sure if I will get the chance to use one any time soon.

I played with my Antares A on the 7'2H for a second as well (should have mentioned it), which could not really change my rather negative impression of the reel seat. Heck, it is not that bad. I am running another Morethan on my Steez BC I and I can manage. Probably getting nostalgic feelings of having the old reel seat go... :crying:

Any I think I can speak for multiple people here, when I say that we would really appreciate a in-depth review of the Utility Player! :)

Cheers!
I agree, I’d love an in depth review of the 7’3 UP!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:45 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 pm
I ended up ordering the Universal Light over the P5 rod and got it yesterday. (Some pictures posted here: https://www.barsch-alarm.de/community/t ... ost-839276). Only had one hour to fish this morning before travel baseball, but caught five fish on Vision 110 Hi Float and flukes. Nice rod for sure. I still prefer my Expride 6’10” Medium for jerkbaits because it’s a bit softer and has that perfect snapping action, but the Steez does well. It has that stiffer snap to it that Gary mentioned. Only caught small ones between 1 - 1 1/2 lbs, the rod kinda manhandled them on 12lbs Tatsu.
Got to fish the Universal Light for a full day on Clear Lake last week. Finesse never worked and we were on a reaction bite all day. The rod did a really good job precision casting Vision 110jrs along and into shade pockets between docks, and bombing regular 110s into open water. I was using an SV Light with 12lbs Tatsu FC. The rod loads up super smoothly on bites, which is a plus (didn't lose any jerkbait fish all day IIRC), and a small minus (I didn't always recognize fish right away on the next jerk). I didn't revise my prior opinion (see above) after a full day of fishing, the tip is still a bit too fast and stiff for me to dethrone the Expride 6'10" M as my #1 dedicated jerkbait rod (but that rod is a unicorn when it comes to the technique). The Universal Light feels much more versatile, though, while I consider the Expride to be a one trick pony.

Still need to find time to do some bottom contact with the Universal Light to see just how sensitive it is, but it's fall and there isn't much of a place for t-rigs and finesse jigs around here right now, it's all reaction/baitfish imitations.

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm

I just ordered the 7’3 UP. I’m excited to try it out after all the glowing praise it’s received here.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 am

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm
I just ordered the 7’3 UP. I’m excited to try it out after all the glowing praise it’s received here.
Oh no, you're in trouble now... lol
This will be the start of the end for you, get that wallet ready.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:32 pm

Dan B wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 am
CodyNeely11 wrote:
Seconding this. The Utility Player was my first purchase. While it doesn't sing to me as a 'it's great for this ONE thing', it's basically good at everything the Daiwa site says it can do, and then some.

Between the new Steez line, and any P5 re-stocks, I am so effin' broke.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:51 pm

Dan B wrote:
CodyNeely11 wrote:
Lol my wallet is empty! I basically save my pennies for a while then send it all to the tackle trap for a steez combo, then start the process over!

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:52 pm

JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:32 pm
Dan B wrote:
CodyNeely11 wrote:
Seconding this. The Utility Player was my first purchase. While it doesn't sing to me as a 'it's great for this ONE thing', it's basically good at everything the Daiwa site says it can do, and then some.

Haha the steez rods keep me broke as well. This will be my 6th or 7th one

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:26 am

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:52 pm
JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:32 pm
Dan B wrote:
CodyNeely11 wrote:

Haha the steez rods keep me broke as well. This will be my 6th or 7th one
I'm three deep between the UP, PP, and MBV. Kinda want the Sniper and Sensor, but don't NEED them (unless I wanna replace my old Orochi Spinnerbait Special).

They are just fantastic rods. Just need a money tree for more.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm

JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:26 am

I'm three deep between the UP, PP, and MBV. Kinda want the Sniper and Sensor, but don't NEED them (unless I wanna replace my old Orochi Spinnerbait Special).

They are just fantastic rods. Just need a money tree for more.
I haven't used them all, but I have a feeling the UP is the most versatile one in the group IMO, and can comfortably cast a wide range of weights. I've thrown 5/16 finesse jigs on it and then turned around and threw a 1/2oz chatterbait with a lake fork magic shad on it. With that said, it's my dedicated T-rig/Senko rod now... and I feel like if I owned 2 of them, I could probably sell about 5 of my other rods if I really wanted to and not even care.

It really comes down to what you will use the rod for, or do you just want it for the wide range. If you're like me and you throw a jig 70% of the time, that Target Sniper is a great pick. I can skip jigs with that sucker all day with minimal issues and still has the nuts to drag a fish out from a dock/cover.

Seeing how my TS/UP will handle 1/4-1/2oz jigs, I wouldn't get the PP unless you plan on throwing 1/2-3/4 on it all the time... I've heard that rod is pretty stiff. not saying thats a bad thing if you want that.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 pm

Anyone have a weight on the Moving Bait Versatile?

Looking for a longer jerkbait rod - 110s in MB/Duo/Jackall rerange etc - from kayak and shore.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 am

reason162 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 pm
Anyone have a weight on the Moving Bait Versatile?

Looking for a longer jerkbait rod - 110s in MB/Duo/Jackall rerange etc - from kayak and shore.
It's approximately 112g or 4 oz. I've used mine for Vision 110's and Pointer 100's quite a bit and I like how it performs. I tend to use the 6'9" Medium Universal Light for jerk baits more than the MBV because I prefer the shorter length. I throw a lot of light swim jigs, cranks, flukes, smaller spinner baits and chatter baits, and even some wacky senko on my MBV - it is capable of doing a lot.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap