2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:52 pm

reason162 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:00 pm
LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:48 am
These just don't have the X factor for me. The AGS is cool but the whole rod looks rather ordinary. Conservative even. No buttcap. Cork grips. Cork with filler even. No eye popping treatments in the split grip area. Just some paint and black winding checks. Not sold on the weird looking spiral lock nut treatment. I want to naturally gravitate to a MB or even one of the triangle carbon grip UFO Shimano rods. Some of the tapers sound dead on for future rods for me though so doing to have to keep an eye out on these.
Lol you are obsessed with silly window treatment.
Yes. Gotta look the part. I'm paying for that too unless I'm not then it better be cheaper.

dluvy
Angler
Angler

Post by dluvy » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:25 pm

I'm looking for a versatile drop shot / ned rig rod, and i'm considering the AGS 7'1ML and the Megabass Landsat. Has anyone spent any significant time on the water with the new AGS 7'1ML and also fished the Landsat and/or Whipsnake for comparison?
Is the AGS sensitivity comparable to an NRX?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:03 am

dluvy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:25 pm
I'm looking for a versatile drop shot / ned rig rod, and i'm considering the AGS 7'1ML and the Megabass Landsat. Has anyone spent any significant time on the water with the new AGS 7'1ML and also fished the Landsat and/or Whipsnake for comparison?
I have fished quite a bit this year with the AGS 71ML and it is an excellent DS and Ned rod for sure, I would say sensitivity on par with NRX, and ergonomics are great on the AGS handle. I haven’t fished the landsat but have some time with the whipsnake. There is no comparison IMO, the AGS is far superior in sensitivity, lightness and I personally like the taper more. I caught some tank 6lb+ smallmouth this fall with it and it handled them surprisingly well.

I doubt you will be disappointed in the 71ML.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:08 am

I agree with the previous post. Skip the MB destroyer and nrx and go right to the AGS compile.
Philippians 4:6

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:43 am

I agree with the previous two posts, but my experience is with the 7'6" Compile-X AGS MML, which I have used for both drop shot and Ned rigs.

The Compile-X AGS version replaced the SVF AGS version (EVA grips) and the SVF AGS version replaced a Conquest 902S and the Conquest 902S replaced a NRX 902S. So, in my experience, the current Steez Compile-X AGS version is definitely the 'top of the heap' among all of those rods in sensitivity and fish handling abilities.

Regards,
Doc

dluvy
Angler
Angler

Post by dluvy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:42 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:03 am
dluvy wrote:
I have fished quite a bit this year with the AGS 71ML and it is an excellent DS and Ned rod for sure, I would say sensitivity on par with NRX, and ergonomics are great on the AGS handle. I haven’t fished the landsat but have some time with the whipsnake. There is no comparison IMO, the AGS is far superior in sensitivity, lightness and I personally like the taper more. I caught some tank 6lb+ smallmouth this fall with it and it handled them surprisingly well.

Does the rod also cast well for an ML rod? Lastly, does the rod handle lure ratings as advertised?

Greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone.

BigTimeBassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BigTimeBassin » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:11 am

Dan B wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:35 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am
fishonsc wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am
I just picked up one of these new Steez rods. I am not impressed and I have not even fished it yet. Some pretty poor grade cork on this rod. Plus the cork handle smells like someone dunked it in a barrel of varnish/solvent. Completely unacceptable for a $550 rod!
Balance and weight is good but I agree on the cork. Overall it doesn't feel like a $550 rod to me. When I picked up my target sniper I was also looking at the P5 tachyon shaft and in hindsight wish I would've picked it up instead. However maybe once I fish the rod I will change my mind. I also have a NRX 852s I haven't fished yet and I felt the same way about that rod but apparently its absolutely legendary and the performance is supposed to knock my socks off.
I own a handful of a Steez rods, the Xbites and I had a buddies TachShaft for a couple weeks while we were trying out various rods... the Target Sniper is the best of them for what it is designed for. I don't know why people are having cork complaints because mine look great. Maybe it was a crap run and sourcing great cork is difficult with this covid crap? IDK. However I throw jigs 70% of the time and have put a lot of use into these rods and the Steez line more than exceeds my expectations. The TargetSniper has been awesome and the 7'3 Utility Player is now my go-to T-rig rod (can do so much more tho) and is my favorite casting rod I have owned. I sold a bunch of NRX/NRX+ rods and will be sticking with the Steez rods for sure.

The NRX+ 852s is the only one I have left, and won't be selling it. You should hold on to that guy too, if for nothing else but the versatility of that rod.

Curious to know more about the utility player as I’m considering one. What techniques have you found it to excel or at least be sufficient for?

Thanks!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 am

dluvy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:42 pm
jpmoney wrote:
dluvy wrote:

Does the rod also cast well for an ML rod? Lastly, does the rod handle lure ratings as advertised?

Yes it casts really well, it has a fairly fast tip as expected but has a great progressive bend that enables good casting. No complaints in that area. As for lure range, I think it's accurate - i did dropshotting quite a bit with 1/4 and 3/8oz and had no issues. I also tried some 1/16oz and 1/10 Neds with no issues - it handled them wonderfully. Honestly, for drop shotting I think you could go a little higher than 3/8oz total weight, maybe 1/2oz, but I have the 7-1 medium to cover the 1/2oz+ range. Even with a big fish on the end of the line the rod handles them really well for a ML.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:30 am

jpmoney wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 am
dluvy wrote:
jpmoney wrote:
dluvy wrote:

Yes it casts really well, it has a fairly fast tip as expected but has a great progressive bend that enables good casting. No complaints in that area. As for lure range, I think it's accurate - i did dropshotting quite a bit with 1/4 and 3/8oz and had no issues. I also tried some 1/16oz and 1/10 Neds with no issues - it handled them wonderfully. Honestly, for drop shotting I think you could go a little higher than 3/8oz total weight, maybe 1/2oz, but I have the 7-1 medium to cover the 1/2oz+ range. Even with a big fish on the end of the line the rod handles them really well for a ML.
Sounds like it would be pretty killer for lindy rigs for walleye. 8-)

dluvy
Angler
Angler

Post by dluvy » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:20 pm

jpmoney wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 am
dluvy wrote:
jpmoney wrote:
dluvy wrote:

SOLD!!!
I'll be ordering mine as soon as they're back in stock at TW. Appreciate the insights, my friends. I'll definitely follow-up once I have the rod in hand with a few outings under my belt.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:44 pm

dluvy wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:20 pm
I'll be ordering mine as soon as they're back in stock at TW.
Consider the tackle trap - site sponsor and more personalized service - plus Gary will probably get them in earlier than anywhere else!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:33 pm

reason162 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:44 pm
dluvy wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:20 pm
I'll be ordering mine as soon as they're back in stock at TW.
Consider the tackle trap - site sponsor and more personalized service - plus Gary will probably get them in earlier than anywhere else!
You will love the rod. Yes contact tackle trap, they are great!

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:23 am

I have a target sniper on the way, courtesy of The Tackle Trap!

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:02 am

CodyNeely11 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:23 am
I have a target sniper on the way, courtesy of The Tackle Trap!
One of the best decisions you will make in 2022, lol.

FYI, Antares A or Metanium DC would look really good on that too, lol. Bantam and Steez A also very comfortable.

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:07 pm

I am really excited to try it out. I have several other 21 steez rods and they are all impressive and fun to fish!