2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:07 am
Couple notes to supplement Bronzefly's comments as I was faced with exactly the same decision a few months ago: I wanted a 2nd dedicated jerkbait rod, had already ordered the P5 OneTen, cancelled that order and got the 6'9" Universal Light instead. I don't regret that purchase one bit because it is a really nice and versatile rod that I greatly enjoy fishing. I don't think it's a perfect dedicated jerkbait rod, though.

I haven't fished the P5 OneTen, so I defer to Bronzefly's comments, but his description seems to match my own expectations for jerkbait rods: a fast and crisp tip to whip that jerkbait into action, but then a slow transition into the blank to ease out of that whip. That's a weird and rare action to find (most rods are equally fast/slow in and out). The MUL doesn't have it.

From my perspective, if you get the 6'9" MUL you'll get a very good and versatile rod that works jerkbaits well. I've spent entire Jerkbait Days on Clear Lake just using the MUL (throwing a lot of Vision Jrs, as well, the rod isn't overpowered for that). But the MUL shuts down a bit too quickly, so each whip comes to too much of a screeching halt (at least IMO). If you really care about jerkbaits and those minute details are important to you, you might consider the P5 instead.

I'm assuming that the P5 OneTen eases out more gracefully instead based on Bronzefly's comments. My main jerkbait rods are still the 6'10" M Expride/Poison Adrena/Posion Glorious (I have all three, and all have that quick-in-slow-out action that I describe above).
Ya, I've also been using the 6'10 M for the past couple years and know exactly what you are talking about. For long casts and just covering water with a jerkbait I'll probably continue to use the Expride sometimes too just for cast distance... but I'm going to be using it more for topwater this next coming year. Had a really good time with it and walking baits last year... rod was a blast while throwing a LC gunfish on it.

The P5 probably will fit the bill for what I was looking for in the rod, but I also feel it's going to have to be more of a target casting rod due to the length. Unless that rod loads incredible well, I feel the missing length will be noticeable with casting distance.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:27 pm

I also prefer to throw my jerkbaits on 10lb line so the added bend into the blank would probably be welcomed...
Will be interesting to see how well that rod might perform with a JDM Aldebaran 31 on it and 8lb test in the colder open water months too.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm
Hi guys,

unfortunately the AGS guides of my blue Steez AGS 711MHXB are starting to fall apart and I have talked to Daiwa who asked me to send the rod in for inspection.

They also mentioned that I could switch to the equivalent model in the new AGS line up for 45% off the MSRP.

From my point of view "The Sensor" is the replacement, but also could see the "Target Sniper" as an option, or even the Utility Player.

I have been using my Steez AGS mainly for 5inch senkos, 1/4oz jigs and the occasional lipless crankbait, with 12#FC.

I am wondering which rod the exact replacement would be and if I could choose, which rod would you recommend me getting?

Is there are a noticeable difference in sensitivity or balance between these rods? How fragile is the Sensor's tip?

Thanks y'all!
The Sensor is named what it is for a reason... however you won't be disappointed with the 7'3 UPlayer is absolutely not a slouch and is now a dedicated T-Rig rod for me. It can do senkos, or a lipless on it... I've use it for 3/16 - 1/4oz finesse jigs too and even some chatterbaits. It doesn't everything very well. For what you want to do, I would pass on the Target Sniper until you want a dedicated jig skipping rod cause that's what it excels at. Either the Sensor or UP will do what you want, but my choice would be the UP for the versatility which seems to be what you are after.
Thanks Dan for your feedback!

Since I am already set on the skipping rod side of things (covered here by my NRX 804c), I think I am leaning towards the Utility Player.

The Moving Bait Versatile sounds interesting but might not have enough power for me.

Thanks again!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm
The P5 probably will fit the bill for what I was looking for in the rod, but I also feel it's going to have to be more of a target casting rod due to the length. Unless that rod loads incredible well, I feel the missing length will be noticeable with casting distance.
For what it's worth, I understand the the OneTen fishes a bit longer than its 6'5" because of how low/short the handle is. Easy to see the difference if you open these two images in two separate tabs and switch between them:

OneTen:
https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/p ... ng-rod.jpg

Crank Elseil:
https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/p ... -rod_1.jpg

Hopefully an owner can chime in with actual experience (I'm interested myself!)

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:15 pm

Anything in the steez line up similar to the xbites

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:11 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:15 pm
I personally think the X-bites falls in between the 7'3 MH Utility Player and the 7'2 H Power Pitch... there isn't a perfect equivalent between the two brands. The PP is definitely a bit more stout hence why it has a higher lure rating. If length isn't an issue (i.e you don't have to get something 7'2-ish like the X-bites), then the 6'9 Target Sniper might be a little bit closer of a choice. I can skip 3/8 - 1/2oz jigs with my TS, but with the UP skipping 1/2oz jigs isn't as comfortable as say the X-bites which handles it extremely well.

If you are dead set on Steez AGS, then I would probably lean towards that 7'2 H PP which will do anything the X-bites can do and probably a little more... or you can go a little shorter and rock the Target Sniper which is an excellent rod.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 am

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 pm
Dan B wrote:
For what it's worth, I understand the the OneTen fishes a bit longer than its 6'5" because of how low/short the handle is. Easy to see the difference if you open these two images in two separate tabs and switch between them:

Well I ordered it last night... another contribution to the TackleTrap early retirement fund.

I did check out those pics too, but really only looks like an inch difference.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 am

Dan B wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:11 am
bronzebacks wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:15 pm
I personally think the X-bites falls in between the 7'3 MH Utility Player and the 7'2 H Power Pitch... there isn't a perfect equivalent between the two brands. The PP is definitely a bit more stout hence why it has a higher lure rating. If length isn't an issue (i.e you don't have to get something 7'2-ish like the X-bites), then the 6'9 Target Sniper might be a little bit closer of a choice. I can skip 3/8 - 1/2oz jigs with my TS, but with the UP skipping 1/2oz jigs isn't as comfortable as say the X-bites which handles it extremely well.

If you are dead set on Steez AGS, then I would probably lean towards that 7'2 H PP which will do anything the X-bites can do and probably a little more... or you can go a little shorter and rock the Target Sniper which is an excellent rod.
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but you have the Bottom Contact II option as well at 7'5. That honestly might be your best bet if you are looking for something similar to the X-bites for jigs/T-rigs/etc and want to maintain the length instead of going down to the Target Sniper.

Brain not working this morning.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:50 pm

That new steez firewolf kind of has me regretting my target sniper purchase

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:50 pm
You can't regret a Target Sniper purchase, that rod is legit... you just have to justify having both now, lol

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:50 pm
You can't regret a Target Sniper purchase, that rod is legit... you just have to justify having both now, lol
It’s so good. And so fun.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:51 pm

Dan B wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 am
Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 pm
Dan B wrote:

Well I ordered it last night... another contribution to the TackleTrap early retirement fund.

I did check out those pics too, but really only looks like an inch difference.
Let us know what you think of the p5. It is a good jerkbait rod but I recently found my dedicated jerkbait rod (steez machine-gun cast type 1). Although its a 6'6 i can cast around 45-50 yards depending on what jerkbait im using.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:13 pm

So the 2022 season is fast approaching and I still don't have a rod to pair with my target sniper. Looks like a lot of new reels on the horizon. Currently highly considering a JDM 20' met as I've heard shimano is raising prices on 2/1. They can be had for $270 on digitaka. However I am using this setup primarily for skipping 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and everyone keeps ranting and raving how the SV spools is the best spool for skipping. Ahhh can't decide

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:18 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:13 pm
So the 2022 season is fast approaching and I still don't have a rod to pair with my target sniper. Looks like a lot of new reels on the horizon. Currently highly considering a JDM 20' met as I've heard shimano is raising prices on 2/1. They can be had for $270 on digitaka. However I am using this setup primarily for skipping 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and everyone keeps ranting and raving how the SV spools is the best spool for skipping. Ahhh can't decide
I hear the BE spool is the one to have for skipping
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 pm

Ya I'll get back with you about the P5 sometime in April when the ice is out, lol.