2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:07 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:13 pm
So the 2022 season is fast approaching and I still don't have a rod to pair with my target sniper. Looks like a lot of new reels on the horizon. Currently highly considering a JDM 20' met as I've heard shimano is raising prices on 2/1. They can be had for $270 on digitaka. However I am using this setup primarily for skipping 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and everyone keeps ranting and raving how the SV spools is the best spool for skipping. Ahhh can't decide
I hear the BE spool is the one to have for skipping
BE spool? Is that an aftermarket one?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:56 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:07 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
So the 2022 season is fast approaching and I still don't have a rod to pair with my target sniper. Looks like a lot of new reels on the horizon. Currently highly considering a JDM 20' met as I've heard shimano is raising prices on 2/1. They can be had for $270 on digitaka. However I am using this setup primarily for skipping 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and everyone keeps ranting and raving how the SV spools is the best spool for skipping. Ahhh can't decide
I hear the BE spool is the one to have for skipping
BE spool? Is that an aftermarket one?
Zpi blue emblem
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
I picked up an extra Metanium at that price recently. Too good to pass up.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:18 pm

I was really wanting to get one of these new rods but the aesthetics completely turned be away from them. No butt cap and the hideous lock nut are just too much for me.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:30 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:18 pm
I was really wanting to get one of these new rods but the aesthetics completely turned be away from them. No butt cap and the hideous lock nut are just too much for me.
I don't have any issue with the butt section of the rod, it's comfortable to grip and make a cast for me.
However, no matter how much I have enjoyed fishing with the Steez AGS rods, the lock nut is my major complaint as well. This rod lineup had everything going for it and then they put that nut on it that is at least 2x bigger than it needed to be. If they were to have a lock nut similar to the size of the MB P5s then I would have zero gripes about all my AGS rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:13 am

I still prefer the aesthetics of the old rods. They new ones just dont do it for me in the looks department. If you ignore the AGS they look like a kastking rod or something. I'm sure they are a billion times better than the old rods but you can't capture my enthusiasm looking like that. Rods that don't capture my enthusiasm are viewed as nothing more than fishing tools and I dont pay more than $300 for a fishing tool. I'm being unreasonable but somehow I expected the Steez to be cutting edge fishing technology. Pure carbon distilled into fishing rod form. What I see is tree bark glued to a stick with a crazy lock nut that looks out of place on an otherwise rather plain looking rod. I guess I expected carbon fiber grips and red anodized parts beyond just the lock nut. Maybe even completely differed color schemes for different rods like the old rods. If it is going to have cork grips then they need to be almost filler free. As a used rod someday I'll have to keep an eye out though.
Attachments
images (35).jpeg
images (35).jpeg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

Hawk82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hawk82 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:24 am

DrPerf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:40 pm
I owned and fished the NRX 902S for several years. When the Conquest 902S was released, I purchased the Conquest and fished that rod and NRX 902S side-by-side for several trips. Posted my comparison (will see if I can find it). As a result, sold the NRX, kept the Conquest.

When the Steez SVF AGS 7’6” MML (EVA handle) was released, purchased two of the rods and fished the Steez and Conquest side-by-side again for several trips. As a result, sold the Conquest, kept the Steez SVF AGS rods.

When the Steez Compile-X AGS 7’6” MML was available, purchased rod and fished the it side-by-side with the Steez SVF. As a result, will be selling one of the Steez SVF rods, keeping one and the Steez Compile-X.

Also, purchased the Steez Compile-X AGS 7’2” Moving Bait Versatile and fished the rod side-by-side with the Conquest 842C. Sold the Conquest, kept the Steez Compile-X MBV.

Each of the NRX and Conquest rods had great performance, both sensitivity and fish handling. But both of the Steez rods offered a wider range of lure weights than the NRX and Conquest rods. And, in my hands, the Steez rods’ sensitivity and fish handling were at least comparable to the NRX and Conquest in sensitivity and fish handling.

Regards,
Doc

Thanks for all the details Doc. I think I may sell my 902S+ and grab the 7’6” MML and also the ML Steez AGS since someone mentioned it’s a 1/2 power higher than the NRX+. I have the Legend Xtreme ML with the same guides and like it, but prefer cork.
Any other details on the ML Steez AGS from the folks here is welcome. Love this chat btw. The knowledge here is awesome.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:53 pm

So tempted to pick up a 7'6MML to pair with my luvias airity and use for trophy trout fishing the white river and taneycomo and for smallmouth. Hard to justify when I already have a Megabass Orochi XX ronin and a NRX 852s. Someone talk me out of it. I also feel the need to compare a high end daiwa combo to my NRX. :laugh1:

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:42 am

I think you will really like the 7-6 but trout rod doesn't come to mind unless we are talking some nice size fish or steelhead. Ronin and 852S are different then the 3 rods in the AGS compile line up. The M F is closest to the 852S but its not XF. I sold all my nrx rods except one off and started buying steez. I was having guide issues, guides that weren't aligned and other issues with nrx. The steez rods have been perfect in build and fish very similar but I feel they are more versatile. Pick one up! The blue / black EVA models are sick too.
Philippians 4:6

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:43 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:53 pm
So tempted to pick up a 7'6MML to pair with my luvias airity and use for trophy trout fishing the white river and taneycomo and for smallmouth. Hard to justify when I already have a Megabass Orochi XX ronin and a NRX 852s. Someone talk me out of it. I also feel the need to compare a high end daiwa combo to my NRX. :laugh1:
I already have a NRX 852 and a Orochi XX F3.5 Shakyhead and I still own two 761MMLs. That might talk you into it :)

The 761 is simply my favorite far-distance rod of the bunch - I don't use it for vertical fishing or steep bank fishing for obvious reasons, but it's a ton of fun for that long-range stuff. Deep dropshotting and long-range tubing for smallies is great on that rod.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:53 pm
i only got it out a couple times last fall, but the 76MML with a 2017 Steez type 2 is such a light combo! like was said above i dont think trout when i use it, but i know that there are some big trout out there so might be different where you fish for sure, i used mine with some small tubes last fall and it was great, super sensitive and i think the combo was less than 10oz for a 7'6" rod and 2500 size reel , crazy! will definitely be using the hell out of this rod this spring and summer!

Hawk82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hawk82 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Does anyone ever use any of the 3 Steez AGS spinning models for walleye? If so, what methods and how do they compare to an NRX+ if you know?

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:51 pm

Hawk82 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:10 pm
Does anyone ever use any of the 3 Steez AGS spinning models for walleye? If so, what methods and how do they compare to an NRX+ if you know?
I can't claim to fish for walleyes on purpose, but in the clear flowages I fish in northwest and north central Wisconsin, my two current and last generation Steez AGS 76MML rods catch plenty of walleye as incidental fish via drop shots, Neko rigs, and MB 3" Hazedong Shads on the Okashira screwhead jig. These have become my favorite finesse smallmouth bass rods and have relegated my matched set of Evergreen Poseidon Salty Sensation PSSS-82T "Rocky Huntsmen" rods to spybait and hair jig duties.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Hawk82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hawk82 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:28 pm

Thanks for the input. Any others out there that have used the Steez AGS Spinning rods for walleye? And can you compare sensitivity to NRX+?
Thanks again.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:11 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:18 pm
No butt cap and the hideous lock nut are just too much for me.
While petty, I totally agree. I like the JDM version's lock nut.