2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by DrPerf » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:03 am
amso4 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:06 am
DrPerf wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:00 pm
My 7'6" MML arrived today just in time for my club tournament tomorrow at the California Delta.

I have been Been fishing the previous SVF version since January and have been really happy with it. This version feels lighter “in hand” than the previous version. Will see if the upgraded components (Compile X graphite, new reel seat, and upgraded AGS guides, I think) result in an improvement ‘on the water’.

Fished the SVF version last week at the Delta and will be fishing the new rod tomorrow at the Delta, so it should be a good first comparison.

Doc
How did the rod perform? Any reports?
Partner (boater) got sick Friday, so we did not fish the tournament.
When report back on the new rod when I do get out with it.
The new Steez AGS Compile X 7’6” MML is “legit”! Took it out to Don Pedro yesterday and was very pleased with the new rod. I was happy enough with the SVF version, that it replaced the Conquest 902S. The new Compile X version appears to be an "on the water" upgrade to the SVF version and that version is no "slouch".

My initial impression is the new Compile X version is even more sensitive. Feels slightly lighter “in hand” than the previous version. Caught several 2’s and 3’s with it and it handled the fish with ease.

I think this new version will be “The One” (spinning edition) :D for a while.
Attachments
Don Pedro 2021-09-14.jpg
Don Pedro 2021-09-14.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 4457 times

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi fellas!
I am looking at the new Steez line up and would love to hear some suggestions.

I currently have the old 7'9XH that i use for punching with 80 pound braid with 1oz -2oz pegged plastics.

I am looking for a rod that i can throw 3/4- 1oz jigs + plastics on 20-22# fluro when i need a bit more stealthy approach pitching into cover or when braid will just not do it (ie timber, rocks).

Question for you guys:

Option1: keep the old 7'9 for "braid - activities" and get a new Steez for the "fluro stuff"
Question: which new AGS should I get?

Option2:
use the old AGS for the fluro and get one of the new steez for punching
Question: which new Steez should I get?

I generally prefer a faster taper for bottom contact techniques

Thanks guys, appreciate any input!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Has anybody who loves jerkbaits thrown them on the new AGS line? I guess the rod to use would be the 6'9" Medium "Universal Light". Jerkbaits are my number 1 technique and I already have several rods for it (with the Expride 6'10" M being my main one). I wanted a 2nd dedicated rod because I use them so much, and just ordered the P5 OneTen Stick. But that rod hasn't shipped yet, and now I'm thinking maybe the new Steez would be a viable alternative, as well.

Has anybody used the Universal Light for jerkbaits yet and would highly recommend it?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 pm
Has anybody who loves jerkbaits thrown them on the new AGS line? I guess the rod to use would be the 6'9" Medium "Universal Light". Jerkbaits are my number 1 technique and I already have several rods for it (with the Expride 6'10" M being my main one). I wanted a 2nd dedicated rod because I use them so much, and just ordered the P5 OneTen Stick. But that rod hasn't shipped yet, and now I'm thinking maybe the new Steez would be a viable alternative, as well.

Has anybody used the Universal Light for jerkbaits yet and would highly recommend it?
The Universal Light is definitely "the" jerk bait rod in the series, though the Moving Bait Versatile can easily handle 110 sized baits without issue - most just prefer the shorter model. It is faster in action than the P5 OneTen which is a full on moderate rod. Some guys prefer that P5 "Japan style" short, moderate action rods for fishing jerk baits, others prefer something more like the Steez 69M Universal Light - a faster action for responsive snaps and jerks when working those baits. I enjoy and appreciate both styles. I've fished the Vision 110 and 110JR on the 69M quite a bit and it handles them very nicely. Additionally, the versatility is spectacular on this model when not jerk bait fishing. Top waters, flukes, wacky rigs, light bottom contact, cranks, etc...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 am
Drakestar wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 pm

The Universal Light is definitely "the" jerk bait rod in the series, though the Moving Bait Versatile can easily handle 110 sized baits without issue - most just prefer the shorter model. It is faster in action than the P5 OneTen which is a full on moderate rod. Some guys prefer that P5 "Japan style" short, moderate action rods for fishing jerk baits, others prefer something more like the Steez 69M Universal Light - a faster action for responsive snaps and jerks when working those baits. I enjoy and appreciate both styles. I've fished the Vision 110 and 110JR on the 69M quite a bit and it handles them very nicely. Additionally, the versatility is spectacular on this model when not jerk bait fishing. Top waters, flukes, wacky rigs, light bottom contact, cranks, etc...
Food for thought, thanks Gary. I’ll let TTT know by tonight if I change my mind.

nossuc242
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nossuc242 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:30 am

DrPerf wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 pm
DrPerf wrote:
amso4 wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
My 7'6" MML arrived today just in time for my club tournament tomorrow at the California Delta.

I have been Been fishing the previous SVF version since January and have been really happy with it. This version feels lighter “in hand” than the previous version. Will see if the upgraded components (Compile X graphite, new reel seat, and upgraded AGS guides, I think) result in an improvement ‘on the water’.

Fished the SVF version last week at the Delta and will be fishing the new rod tomorrow at the Delta, so it should be a good first comparison.

Doc
The new Steez AGS Compile X 7’6” MML is “legit”! Took it out to Don Pedro yesterday and was very pleased with the new rod. I was happy enough with the SVF version, that it replaced the Conquest 902S. The new Compile X version appears to be an "on the water" upgrade to the SVF version and that version is no "slouch".

My initial impression is the new Compile X version is even more sensitive. Feels slightly lighter “in hand” than the previous version. Caught several 2’s and 3’s with it and it handled the fish with ease.

In terms of action, how does it compare to the Conquest 902S? I find the Conquest to be too soft and bends into middle of blank. Looking for more power but still have a light tip.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:29 pm

i got my 7'6" mml "the one" on the way! finally found it in stock so i had to scoop it up (TW still has a couple if anyone is looking, sorry if this isnt allowed!) after the reviews on it, i cant wait to get it on my hands. i havent decided what reel to put on it yet, but it will either be a 2017 steez typeII, a previous generation exist 2505 or a current certate lt 2500s. hope it comes friday so i can use it on my days off!!

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 pm

nossuc242 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:30 am
DrPerf wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 pm
DrPerf wrote:
amso4 wrote:
DrPerf wrote:

Doc

In terms of action, how does it compare to the Conquest 902S? I find the Conquest to be too soft and bends into middle of blank. Looking for more power but still have a light tip.
I sold the Conquest 902S for the first generation Steez AGS 76 MML (EVA handle) and I thought that version had more "power"/fish handling ability that the 902. The current generation Steez AGS Compile X 76 MML appears to be more sensitive than the first generation with more backbone, but still a responsive tip.

I have not had significant time "on the water" with the new Steez, but the initial impressions are very positive. Planning to fish a different Motherlode lake next week, so that will be a good follow-up.

Regards,
Doc

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Dang I feel left out I feel like I need to join this party! I have had my eyes in the 7'2" MMBV or the 6'9" MUL 8-)

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Cristo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:09 pm
Dang I feel left out I feel like I need to join this party! I have had my eyes in the 7'2" MMBV or the 6'9" MUL 8-)

Haha well you have an open invitation and I highly doubt you’d regret it.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:05 am

I think I'll go ahead and take that invitation 8-) I finally got put over the top last night so to speak, sorry Megabass =P~ At least two of those will make it over to my stable :big grin:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 pm

I ended up ordering the Universal Light over the P5 rod and got it yesterday. (Some pictures posted here: https://www.barsch-alarm.de/community/t ... ost-839276). Only had one hour to fish this morning before travel baseball, but caught five fish on Vision 110 Hi Float and flukes. Nice rod for sure. I still prefer my Expride 6’10” Medium for jerkbaits because it’s a bit softer and has that perfect snapping action, but the Steez does well. It has that stiffer snap to it that Gary mentioned. Only caught small ones between 1 - 1 1/2 lbs, the rod kinda manhandled them on 12lbs Tatsu.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:17 am

Mmmm, Drakestar that sounds awesome. That was also a model I was debating on I think my choices are still going to be that 7 foot 4 extra-heavy or that Medium moving bait versatile for my first and 2nd tastes :-k The only problem is I may have to wait till November/December to try to pick one of those up even if I have to do another pre-order as it's unlikely those will still be up :roll: I was hoping for October but all good things I suppose 8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:33 am

Cristo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:17 am
Mmmm, Drakestar that sounds awesome. That was also a model I was debating on I think my choices are still going to be that 7 foot 4 extra-heavy or that Medium moving bait versatile for my first and 2nd tastes :-k The only problem is I may have to wait till November/December to try to pick one of those up even if I have to do another pre-order as it's unlikely those will still be up :roll: I was hoping for October but all good things I suppose 8-)
I’m looking at the universal power and the heavy cover special which is the one you mentioned i think . I’m looking for more information on then both.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:42 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:33 am
I’m looking at the universal power and the heavy cover special which is the one you mentioned i think . I’m looking for more information on then both.
I've had all these rods since the first prototype stage. You're always welcome to email me directly if you like!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap