2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am

I'll be fishing these for sure. Cork? Yes please.
Philippians 4:6

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm

Looks nice.
Any chance you have used the 6'9" for jerkbait fishing
STAGS691MFB M F 6'9" 1 4-12 1/8-5/8 Universal Light Jerk Bait/ small crank/ top water.

How long is the handle section? any arm slap
Is the reel location comfortable to palm to work the bait. (reel used for the test)

Cheers
Trevor

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:51 am
bronzefly wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:40 am

Yes, I've fished all these models for months now through prototype to final version phases. I have fished The Sensor with a Steez CT and 10# Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai most recently throwing light t-rigs and a 1/4 oz finesse jig. Balance is what I'd consider good, not perfect, but not overly tip heavy either with the Steez CT. The balance point is just at the front of the lock nut at the blank junction.
maaan. not what I was hoping to hear. thought the Sensor would balance like the x-bites
Yea, a little disappointing to hear, not sure if its a dealbreaker though

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:04 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:42 pm
Chode wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:51 am
bronzefly wrote:

Yes, I've fished all these models for months now through prototype to final version phases. I have fished The Sensor with a Steez CT and 10# Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai most recently throwing light t-rigs and a 1/4 oz finesse jig. Balance is what I'd consider good, not perfect, but not overly tip heavy either with the Steez CT. The balance point is just at the front of the lock nut at the blank junction.
maaan. not what I was hoping to hear. thought the Sensor would balance like the x-bites
me neither. if the rod is light enough, u can't really feel the tip heaviness but was hoping for the same kinda balance as my xbites

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:06 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Please don't misconstrue my statement. The balance isn't "perfect" but exceptionally few rods are, and those that are are often ridiculed for being too heavy in overall weight. This entire series is light weight in hand, has good overall balance, and are not one trick pony type rods. The concept behind this series is versatility throughout and that is evident in how the rods fish.
trevor60 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm
Looks nice.
STAGS691MFB M F 6'9" 1 4-12 1/8-5/8 Universal Light Jerk Bait/ small crank/ top water.

Is the reel location comfortable to palm to work the bait. (reel used for the test)

Cheers
Trevor
Yes, I've thrown a lot of jerk baits - mostly the 110 in various forms as it's my go-to jerk bait, and the rod handles them nicely. I've also thrown the new shower blow 777 on it a lot, various top water baits up to something like the Rio Rico and smaller walkers/poppers/prop baits, flukes, shaky heads, light t-rigs, shallow cranks, etc. It's a very, very fun versatile rod. Arm slap depends greatly on how you hold your rod and fish your baits, but I haven't had any issues. I've fished new 21 Alphas on this rod, Steez CT, 2020 Tatula SV, 21 Zillion SV TW... again, I've been fishing prototypes since last year, so keep that in mind. This stick is fantastic. Right now, I have the 21 Alphas on there. Butt to reel seat cork junction is a very comfortable 9 1/4".

NOLRAMB wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:38 am
Which casting model is the most balanced?
I can't really answer that question accurately because there are numerous factors involved. Again, generally speaking, these rods are light, sensitive, and well balanced with most reasonably well matched reels for the specific rod. I wouldn't put a Steez CT on the 7'11" Flip Pitch Punch for example, but it feels pretty dang nice with a Zillion HD for example.
reason162 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:02 am
bronzefly wrote:
Hi Darrin - the black/blue Steez rods are going to be discontinued.
How does the new 76MML compare to the original unicorn?
And there's the question! Well my friend, you'll certainly be one to find out and let us know what you think once you get yours. All I'll say about that is that we understand how special the original 76MML is and that we can only hope this one will live up to expectations.

The Tackle Trap is shipping a bunch of these rods out on Tuesday. The crew is recovering from a long weekend at the Bassmaster Classic and the shop was closed today. Things will be back up and running and a good many of our friends and customers will be answering some of these questions by the end of the week...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:42 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:06 pm
evilcatfish wrote:
Please don't misconstrue my statement. The balance isn't "perfect" but exceptionally few rods are, and those that are are often ridiculed for being too heavy in overall weight. This entire series is light weight in hand, has good overall balance, and are not one trick pony type rods. The concept behind this series is versatility throughout and that is evident in how the rods fish.
trevor60 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm
Looks nice.

Cheers
Trevor
Yes, I've thrown a lot of jerk baits - mostly the 110 in various forms as it's my go-to jerk bait, and the rod handles them nicely. I've also thrown the new shower blow 777 on it a lot, various top water baits up to something like the Rio Rico and smaller walkers/poppers/prop baits, flukes, shaky heads, light t-rigs, shallow cranks, etc. It's a very, very fun versatile rod. Arm slap depends greatly on how you hold your rod and fish your baits, but I haven't had any issues. I've fished new 21 Alphas on this rod, Steez CT, 2020 Tatula SV, 21 Zillion SV TW... again, I've been fishing prototypes since last year, so keep that in mind. This stick is fantastic. Right now, I have the 21 Alphas on there. Butt to reel seat cork junction is a very comfortable 9 1/4".

NOLRAMB wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:38 am
Which casting model is the most balanced?
I can't really answer that question accurately because there are numerous factors involved. Again, generally speaking, these rods are light, sensitive, and well balanced with most reasonably well matched reels for the specific rod. I wouldn't put a Steez CT on the 7'11" Flip Pitch Punch for example, but it feels pretty dang nice with a Zillion HD for example.
reason162 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:02 am
bronzefly wrote:
How does the new 76MML compare to the original unicorn?
And there's the question! Well my friend, you'll certainly be one to find out and let us know what you think once you get yours. All I'll say about that is that we understand how special the original 76MML is and that we can only hope this one will live up to expectations.

The Tackle Trap is shipping a bunch of these rods out on Tuesday. The crew is recovering from a long weekend at the Bassmaster Classic and the shop was closed today. Things will be back up and running and a good many of our friends and customers will be answering some of these questions by the end of the week...
Thanks for the feedback
One the jerk-bait stick do you prefer it more than your previous jb rod?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:59 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:42 pm
Thanks for the feedback
On the jerk-bait stick do you prefer it more than your previous jb rod?
That's like asking about my favorite beer - there's a bunch of good ones, a few exceptional ones, and a bunch of garbage :lol:

I have a wide and varied cast of characters that I use for jerk bait fishing depending on the conditions, time of year, and bait selection. It comes with the territory as you know! This rod falls much more toward the exceptional category for jerk bait fishing - short of really tiny stuff or really large stuff. It handles the Vision 110 very nicely. I'm a big fan of the P5 OneTen Stick for treble baits, which is clearly more parabolic and has a slightly shorter handle, but I also love the versatility that comes with the 21 Steez Compile-X 69M Universal Light which opens up more single hook finesse type applications.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:06 pm

Notice you said you were shipping out a lot of the pre orders tomorrow hopefully mine is one of them, I got a BNIB IP79L that's itching to be mounted on the Bottom Contact II I pre-ordered, it should balance out quite well im guessing.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:18 pm

bronzefly wrote:
And there's the question! Well my friend, you'll certainly be one to find out and let us know what you think once you get yours.
:D :D :D

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Does anyone know the weight of the 6-9m? I’ve searched online everywhere and can’t find it and The Hook Ups listed phone numbers are not going through. I know they were at the classic but were supposed to be open today...idk but I’m not pulling the trigger without that info. Thanks in advance

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Bronzefly great info you went the extra mile with the pictures much appreciated

Trevor

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am

bronzefly wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:

Just pulled the trigger on it, seems like too fun of a rod to pass over due to not having the "perfect" balance or whatever...haha

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am
Just pulled the trigger on it, seems like too fun of a rod to pass over due to not having the "perfect" balance or whatever...haha
Excellent, thank you, let us know what you think about it...
trevor60 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Trevor
You're welcome Trevor, glad to help.
Heddonfrog wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 pm
Does anyone know the weight of the 6-9m? I’ve searched online everywhere and can’t find it and The Hook Ups listed phone numbers are not going through. I know they were at the classic but were supposed to be open today...idk but I’m not pulling the trigger without that info. Thanks in advance
The Tackle Trap was at the Classic and had the new Steez rods on hand for their world introduction. The STAGS691MFB Universal Light weighs approximately 3.7 oz or 104g and is in stock for the moment at TTT.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:38 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 am
evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am
Excellent, thank you, let us know what you think about it...
trevor60 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Trevor
You're welcome Trevor, glad to help.
Heddonfrog wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 pm
The Tackle Trap was at the Classic and had the new Steez rods on hand for their world introduction. The STAGS691MFB Universal Light weighs approximately 3.7 oz or 104g and is in stock for the moment at TTT.
Thank you for the info Bronzefly

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:56 pm

bronzefly wrote:
darrin wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:08 am
Hi Gary,

Will the original Steez AGS rods still be available or are they discontinued? Daiwa still has them up on their web site.

Thanks

Darrin
NOLRAMB wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:41 pm
Extremely similar to the racing design at first glance, I don't see anywhere that these have 3DX, I pre-ordered the Bottom Contact II once it comes in I'll compare it to my RD 701MH/HXB-ST
3DX is on both the Heavy Cover Special, 74XH and the Flip Pitch Punch, 711XH.
evilcatfish wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:22 am
Gary, have you been able to fish “the sensor” at all? I’m interested to hear your thoughts on the titanium tip. Also, how does it balance with a lighter reel like a steez ct sv or pixy?
Hi Gary,

Thanks for letting me know. I was hoping to pick up the Heavy spinning. Guess I have to keep looking looking for an alternative!