2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:24 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:07 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm
What is the consensus on the spinning rods? I know the 76mml is legendary but how are the other two? Trying to decide If I want to sell my unused nrx852s and pick up a steez ags spin during BF or wait and see if megabass releases a new series soon and hope they have a rehash of the addermine
Well, I had the 7’1 M Steez, original 852, and Addermine. I liked the Addermine the best of the three, but I have no regrets unloading it. The Steez is much more powerful than the 852 and Addermine. The 852 was way too fast for me. The Addermine would be an awesome rod for someone looking to do a little bit of everything well, but it never excelled at one thing.
Since it sounds like you didn't keep any of these 3 rods what do you currently use in that slot?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:23 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:24 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:07 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm
What is the consensus on the spinning rods? I know the 76mml is legendary but how are the other two? Trying to decide If I want to sell my unused nrx852s and pick up a steez ags spin during BF or wait and see if megabass releases a new series soon and hope they have a rehash of the addermine
Well, I had the 7’1 M Steez, original 852, and Addermine. I liked the Addermine the best of the three, but I have no regrets unloading it. The Steez is much more powerful than the 852 and Addermine. The 852 was way too fast for me. The Addermine would be an awesome rod for someone looking to do a little bit of everything well, but it never excelled at one thing.
Since it sounds like you didn't keep any of these 3 rods what do you currently use in that slot?
I use 872 NRX+.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:22 am

Hobey, the 852 was too fast but you do like the 872? I have handled both and they seemed very similar to me but maybe the plus is different.
Philippians 4:6

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:22 am
Hobey, the 852 was too fast but you do like the 872? I have handled both and they seemed very similar to me but maybe the plus is different.
The 872 is slower. I feel that the blank is the almost the same, but the 872 adds a couple of more inches to the tip (rod flexes two inches further down the blank) which makes the rod slower. The extra couple of inches makes the rod fish a lot better.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:19 am

I havent had a chance to take out the target sniper yet but I have it paired up with a 2020 met and 16lb j fluoro hidden. For those of you who have experience with the target sniper what do you think its total weight sweet spot is? I am going to primarily be using it as a jig skipping rod, but was also considering using it with the dark sleeper and not sure what weight to use.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:48 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:19 am
I havent had a chance to take out the target sniper yet but I have it paired up with a 2020 met and 16lb j fluoro hidden. For those of you who have experience with the target sniper what do you think its total weight sweet spot is? I am going to primarily be using it as a jig skipping rod, but was also considering using it with the dark sleeper and not sure what weight to use.
I applaud your skills for being able to skip with a centrifugal.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:50 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:48 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Oh, I still haven't practiced skipping with the met, lol. So its possible I may not be able to

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:50 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:48 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Oh, I still haven't practiced skipping with the met, lol. So its possible I may not be able to
Might want to get some cheap mono to practice with.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
I've ran mine with a Antares A, Metanium MGL, Metanium DC, Bantam, Aldebaran MGL31... fooled around trying to figure out what I wanted on it... reel doesn't matter as long as the settings are right. The rod loads very well for skipping, just let it do it's thing. Don't force it and throw too hard or that could blow up in your face with a Met2020.

I've skipped 1/4oz finesse jigs with it, but 3/8oz with any trailer size is the rods wheelhouse. 1/2oz with a reasonable trailer does well too. But you have to be realistic with a 1/2oz jig if you throw a giant trailer on it... obviously you will be approaching 80%+ of the full rating listed on the rod.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:24 pm

Dan B wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
I've ran mine with a Antares A, Metanium MGL, Metanium DC, Bantam, Aldebaran MGL31... fooled around trying to figure out what I wanted on it... reel doesn't matter as long as the settings are right. The rod loads very well for skipping, just let it do it's thing. Don't force it and throw too hard or that could blow up in your face with a Met2020.

I've skipped 1/4oz finesse jigs with it, but 3/8oz with any trailer size is the rods wheelhouse. 1/2oz with a reasonable trailer does well too. But you have to be realistic with a 1/2oz jig if you throw a giant trailer on it... obviously you will be approaching 80%+ of the full rating listed on the rod.
So what do you think the sweet spot is for the rod? Around 3/4 oz. total weight? Thinking 3/4 oz dark sleeper might be better than half oz.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:30 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:24 pm
Dan B wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:

So what do you think the sweet spot is for the rod? Around 3/4 oz. total weight? Thinking 3/4 oz dark sleeper might be better than half oz.
sweet spot is 1/2-5/8oz total weight probably, but 3/4 is definitely doable

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:14 pm

Anyone fish the new light spinning rod yet?

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm

bring this back as I need to pick between 69MH Target Sniper and 73MH Utility Player. I know TS is a better fit for close quarter and dock skipping, UP probably better at distance, other than that any noticeable differences in power, action?

will be using the rod for 3/8 to 1/2oz (a lot more 1/2oz than 3/8oz) jack hammer, Megabass UoZE, SV-3, OSP high pitcher, 1/4oz flashy swimmer + gambler EZ swimmer, and jigs + trailer. mostly light to moderate cover

and I am thinking getting 72H power pitch for heavier stuff.

any thoughts on one is better than the other? the JDM steez 66MH machine gun type 2 is the other rod I am considering

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:30 pm

Mang wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:14 pm
Yes. This rod has an interesting mix of older "Megaton" solid carbon tip technology, mixed with the very impressive blank technology of the current Steez AGS line up. The true extra fast action is evident, and the tip is extremely lively and responsive for shaking a Ned or the like.
StymoDe wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm
bring this back as I need to pick between 69MH Target Sniper and 73MH Utility Player. I know TS is a better fit for close quarter and dock skipping, UP probably better at distance, other than that any noticeable differences in power, action?

will be using the rod for 3/8 to 1/2oz (a lot more 1/2oz than 3/8oz) jack hammer, Megabass UoZE, SV-3, OSP high pitcher, 1/4oz flashy swimmer + gambler EZ swimmer, and jigs + trailer. mostly light to moderate cover

any thoughts on one is better than the other? the JDM steez 66MH machine gun type 2 is the other rod I am considering
The 72H Power Pitch is such a great pitching/jig/cover rod, so you're on track there.

The action and power of the 6'9" Target Sniper and the 7'3" Utility Player are similar. The additional length of the UP makes it feel a bit less stout and would be my preference for longer casting, open water situations. The Target Sniper is capable of those applications, so I pick it up when I know I want to be fishing closer quarters - docks, laydowns, or more target oriented applications. No doubt, precise casting with the UP can be done, but I like shorter rods like the TS when skipping docks or making shorter, very accurate casts. Both are great rods and have many other uses...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:30 pm
Mang wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:14 pm
Yes. This rod has an interesting mix of older "Megaton" solid carbon tip technology, mixed with the very impressive blank technology of the current Steez AGS line up. The true extra fast action is evident, and the tip is extremely lively and responsive for shaking a Ned or the like.
StymoDe wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm

The 72H Power Pitch is such a great pitching/jig/cover rod, so you're on track there.

The action and power of the 6'9" Target Sniper and the 7'3" Utility Player are similar. The additional length of the UP makes it feel a bit less stout and would be my preference for longer casting, open water situations. The Target Sniper is capable of those applications, so I pick it up when I know I want to be fishing closer quarters - docks, laydowns, or more target oriented applications. No doubt, precise casting with the UP can be done, but I like shorter rods like the TS when skipping docks or making shorter, very accurate casts. Both are great rods and have many other uses...
Thanks Gary. really appreciate your inputs!