To Spiral Or Not to Spiral... what is your preference?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

To Spiral or Not to Spiral... what say ye?

What's a spiral wrap?
7%
Tried it, don't like it, I prefer to be on top
14%
Won't try it, can't look at it, way too funky
12%
Haven't tried one yet, but I'm interested
27%
YES!
40%

Total votes: 90

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: To Spiral Or Not to Spiral... what is your preference?

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am

I am quite surprised by this result so far :big grin: !
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:29 pm

nvbroncrider wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 am
All my casting rods I’ve built are spiral. 6RV strippers then your pick of 5.5-4 to the tip. I like the 5’s the best. They cast great. Doesn’t matter the blank. Key to casting distance is the blank loading and unloading properly. I’ve ran these rods using an array of techniques and I don’t notice any difference between them. You definitely don’t wrap your tip with braid with spirals near as much. Other advantages people don’t talk about with spirals is if set up right line will never touch the blank. Physically impossible because gravity sucks. It’s already been mentioned less guides. Normally on a 7’3” rod I’m using 8 guides instead of 10. Biggest advantage with a spiral is control. With a spiral wrapped rod when a fish makes a run left or right you have no twisting torque on the rod caused by load. Since the line under the blank can rotate in the guides to naturally change load. With a conventional rod when a fish runs left or right it applies a twisting torsion to the rod since the load is being applied to the top side of the blank. This is transmitted through the guides and into the reel seat and the users wrist. Making it important for the user to keep a firm grip on the rod. With a spiral wrap it is completely eliminated since the line and guides are on the bottom. That torque is absorbed by the tip of the blank and the user will barely notice if at all. Makes fighting a fish much easier with some simple physics. Some will claim they cast farther and all this. I think in a lab in perfect conditions you may see very small gains but nothing real world that you can really claim as a true reliable gain. I personally will never have another conventionally wrapped rod in my lifetime.
This pretty much summarizes my thoughts and feelings on the subject 👍. I also agree that if any additional casting distance is gained, it's marginal.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am
Those who haven't experienced it can't really comment on it, other than the appearance.

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:42 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm
Cal wrote:
Those who haven't experienced it can't really comment on it, other than the appearance.
Appearance doesn’t matter. Performance does. Time on the water using the tools will make you a believer of what works or doesn’t. Not an engineer in an office.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:57 pm

nvbroncrider wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:42 pm
Appearance doesn’t matter. Performance does. Time on the water using the tools will make you a believer of what works or doesn’t. Not an engineer in an office.
There are plenty of people who have tried it and don't or can't buy into the concept because of appearances.

Those of us who do prefer spiral config are in the minority. There have been several rod manufacturers that have offered the layout in their production rods in the past - and some that still do - and sales suffer because of it. The great majority of the angling public does not believe in it - especially for non-big game species.
Cal, Managing Editor

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:57 pm
nvbroncrider wrote:
There are plenty of people who have tried it and don't or can't buy into the concept because of appearances.

Those of us who do prefer spiral config are in the minority. There have been several rod manufacturers that have offered the layout in their production rods in the past - and some that still do - and sales suffer because of it. The great majority of the angling public does not believe in it - especially for non-big game species.

They just haven’t been converted to the dark side!!!!

It’s a dangerous place!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:42 pm

nvbroncrider wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 pm
Cal wrote:
My point was that appearance does matter to some, and if they haven't tried it, they obviously wouldn't know if they like the performance or not. Seems silly, but everyone has different priorities.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:55 am

I like my spiral wrapped rods while fishing them but hate the way they tangle up with other rods sitting on the deck of the boat. Maybe if I only had 3-4 rods on the deck at a time they'd be OK, but that is rarely the case.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:53 am

A bit late to this party but wondering if spiral wraps are feasible on a cranking / reaction bait rod or are they more for a contact type of presentation ?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:04 pm

I think they work for everything, but that’s just me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 pm

I have a custom Flippin stick that’s spiral wrapped and you can tell the differences
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:07 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:04 pm
this
Cal, Managing Editor

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Ok, so theoretically I may (or not) see increased casting distance on a trap rod when bombing open water on a search and destroy mission and on a shorter squarebill rod I may see better accuracy when pinpointing precise targets ?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:56 pm

uljersey wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Ok, so theoretically I may (or not) see increased casting distance on a trap rod when bombing open water on a search and destroy mission and on a shorter squarebill rod I may see better accuracy when pinpointing precise targets ?
Doesn't matter what baits you're throwing, the advantages of a spiral wrap still apply.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:56 pm
uljersey wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Doesn't matter what baits you're throwing, the advantages of a spiral wrap still apply.
Thanks to all for your input :D