Broke my beloved K2, Now what?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Broke my beloved K2, Now what?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm

So I stepped on my custom K2 683ml. My favorite rod I've ever had, been with me a long time, and has caught a pile of fish. Looking at potential replacements, and wanted to hear some thoughts. I might replace it with the production model, even though I'm not real keen on the build. Here's a few sticks I'm considering at a couple different price points.
OG X7 Super Eiger
16 Poison Glorious Mighty Finesse
16 Destroyer Hein. Not sure if this one fits spec wise.
Jackall Revoltage 6'8 ML
Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista 6/10 ML
I'd like a taper very similar to the K2, and the power to be in the same wheelhouse. Open to any other rod suggestions as well. I have options for each of the rods listed available now. I'm also a sucker for JDM Shimano blanks, but I know that the Super Eiger is probably the fan favorite. Please chime in and share your thoughts and experiences.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Broke my beloved K2, Now what?

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
So I stepped on my custom K2 683ml. My favorite rod I've ever had, been with me a long time, and has caught a pile of fish. Looking at potential replacements, and wanted to hear some thoughts. I might replace it with the production model, even though I'm not real keen on the build. Here's a few sticks I'm considering at a couple different price points.
OG X7 Super Eiger
16 Poison Glorious Mighty Finesse
16 Destroyer Hein. Not sure if this one fits spec wise.
Jackall Revoltage 6'8 ML
Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista 6/10 ML
I'd like a taper very similar to the K2, and the power to be in the same wheelhouse. Open to any other rod suggestions as well. I have options for each of the rods listed available now. I'm also a sucker for JDM Shimano blanks, but I know that the Super Eiger is probably the fan favorite. Please chime in and share your thoughts and experiences.

Man sucks to hear that. Sorry no suggestions here but I’m interested to see what saidth the masses.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Sorry about the rod! Trey is doing one of their “this is why you should never buy a Kistler at full price” sales right now, and you could get a Helium 693 or 703 for $270. Same blank as the Zbone on the new models AFAIK.

Might be worth a try. I haven’t fished Kistlers new post-Xray-high-end blanks yet, but Cal liked it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Are they not producing that blank anymore?

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:57 pm

What do you want to fish with the rod? Lure / weight.

I owned the OG Super Eiger and PG Mighty Finesse, and sold them both. I couldn't get use to the Super Eiger's soft tip, and didn't care for the sharp/pointy trigger. The blank was exquisite, and if I was more patient, I could have found an application or two for that rod. The Mighty Finesse was a fast action, with a soft tip, which moves into a more powerful butt. It worked well for light 3/16 oz jigs, but it wasn't my ideal river smallmouth rod (tubes / neds / jigs). Neither excelled with tubes, which sent them packing.

I personally liked the Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista 6/10 ML better than the Super Eiger or PG Mighty Finesse. I'm not saying it's the best ML rod, but it fishes light jigs or light t-rigged worms better. Most of the time, it just sits on my rod rack. I plan on leaving that rod at my parents lake house.

From what I've read, I would get another K2 (custom or production). It's been on my to buy list. As you mentioned, I'm not that thrilled about their production rod.

Good luck on the rod search!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:56 pm

Schlag wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:57 pm

I owned the OG Super Eiger and PG Mighty Finesse, and sold them both. I couldn't get use to the Super Eiger's soft tip, and didn't care for the sharp/pointy trigger. The blank was exquisite, and if I was more patient, I could have found an application or two for that rod. The Mighty Finesse was a fast action, with a soft tip, which moves into a more powerful butt. It worked well for light 3/16 oz jigs, but it wasn't my ideal river smallmouth rod (tubes / neds / jigs). Neither excelled with tubes, which sent them packing.

I personally liked the Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista 6/10 ML better than the Super Eiger or PG Mighty Finesse. I'm not saying it's the best ML rod, but it fishes light jigs or light t-rigged worms better. Most of the time, it just sits on my rod rack. I plan on leaving that rod at my parents lake house.

From what I've read, I would get another K2 (custom or production). It's been on my to buy list. As you mentioned, I'm not that thrilled about their production rod.

What about the Abu do you prefer over the Glorious and X7? How does sensitivity compare? It's the least expensive option, so I'm definitely curious. How soft was the tip on the X7? I won't be doing lot of bottom contact stuff, but some for sure. Which would you grab for Flick Shakes on a 1/8 oz head, and other lightly weighted or weightless plastics?

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:56 pm
Schlag wrote:

What about the Abu do you prefer over the Glorious and X7? How does sensitivity compare? It's the least expensive option, so I'm definitely curious. How soft was the tip on the X7? I won't be doing lot of bottom contact stuff, but some for sure. Which would you grab for Flick Shakes on a 1/8 oz head, and other lightly weighted or weightless plastics?
The flick shake presentation changes everything. My experience is with 1/16 - 3/32 heads hooked to a 6.8" Jackall flick shake worm. I fish it in crystal clear water in 10 - 20' of water. With that presentation, I like a soft tip that flexes easy when shaking the worm on the bottom. It allows you to feel the worm/bite, but not moving the lure as much. I use an OG ML XF Powell 701 casting rod.

The X7 or Glorious have that soft tip to work a flick Shake. The Abu will have a more crisp tip / smooth JDM transition in taper. The X7 goes from a 6" semi soft tip, and shuts down quickly to a strong backbone. In a pinch, I had no issues fishing a 110 jerkbait with it. The Mighty Finesse felt slower in action than the X7. It was basically a medium power rod with a soft flexing tip. Hook a fish, and the Glorious bends like a JDM taper. Sensitivity, the X7 and Abu felt more sensitive than the Mighty Finesse. I have an OG 1016 ML poison adrena and 1016 L BFS poison Ultima that have a much nicer, crisp tip than the Mighty Finesse.

Sorry for the added confusion. I wish I could describe them better. I've purchased and collected a variety of L, ML, ML-M / BFS casting rods. Its amazing how different each ML rod acts and feels with the same rating (1/8 to 1/2 oz) and action. Without reviews, you almost have to buy the rod blind, figure out what that rod excels with and then decide if it fits your needs. Something I don't care for might be perfect for someone else.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Schlag wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:56 pm
Schlag wrote:

The flick shake presentation changes everything. My experience is with 1/16 - 3/32 heads hooked to a 6.8" Jackall flick shake worm. I fish it in crystal clear water in 10 - 20' of water. With that presentation, I like a soft tip that flexes easy when shaking the worm on the bottom. It allows you to feel the worm/bite, but not moving the lure as much. I use an OG ML XF Powell 701 casting rod.

The X7 or Glorious have that soft tip to work a flick Shake. The Abu will have a more crisp tip / smooth JDM transition in taper. The X7 goes from a 6" semi soft tip, and shuts down quickly to a strong backbone. In a pinch, I had no issues fishing a 110 jerkbait with it. The Mighty Finesse felt slower in action than the X7. It was basically a medium power rod with a soft flexing tip. Hook a fish, and the Glorious bends like a JDM taper. Sensitivity, the X7 and Abu felt more sensitive than the Mighty Finesse. I have an OG 1016 ML poison adrena and 1016 L BFS poison Ultima that have a much nicer, crisp tip than the Mighty Finesse.

Sorry for the added confusion. I wish I could describe them better. I've purchased and collected a variety of L, ML, ML-M / BFS casting rods. Its amazing how different each ML rod acts and feels with the same rating (1/8 to 1/2 oz) and action. Without reviews, you almost have to buy the rod blind, figure out what that rod excels with and then decide if it fits your needs. Something I don't care for might be perfect for someone else.
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. The K2 had a slower tip section, like a slow-fast action if that makes sense. If the X7 shuts off 6 inches from the tip, I don't think it would work for me. I make sure the fish has wacky worm entirely, and then lift and raise the rod, rather than swinging for the fences. I enjoy watching my line swim off, pick up any loose line, and then reel and lift. I'm surprised to hear about the sensitivity of the Glorious. Every Shimano JDM rod I've had really excelled in this department. Especially the new version of the Adrena. The full monocoque handle really elevates the overall feel and sensation of the rod. I think now I just need to decide if I want to drop the money on the K2, or grab that Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista on the cheap. I couldn't use the K2 with half ounce jerkbaits comfortably, so I'm not sure about the power on any of the rods I'm considering. The K2 683ml is a true ml stick - not much reserve power.