Kistler rod clearance

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kistler rod clearance

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:56 am

I see kistler is having a rod clearance sale, I guess the premium for the non NFC blanks didn't work out. I did order a klx to compare to my older klx. If only NFC could get their act together so I could compare it with my new build.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kistler rod clearance

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:44 pm

They spent years cultivating a brand based on quality USA made NFC blanks and TX labor.

Most people I know that bought Kistler did so for NFC and a fully USA made product. They dropped the two best selling points of their product and raised prices...it doesn't take a genius to see where that was going.

I also have to wonder how many reels they are sitting on.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:19 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:44 pm
They spent years cultivating a brand based on quality USA made NFC blanks and TX labor.

Most people I know that bought Kistler did so for NFC and a fully USA made product. They dropped the two best selling points of their product and raised prices...it doesn't take a genius to see where that was going.

Judging from the clearance on them, a conex container full. I bought the two I did fully because I couldn't find the action/length I got from st croix and because I broke 2 rods earlier this year for saltwater fishing.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 am

As a reminder, the last big Kistler discussion about the blank change is here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=85040&hilit=kistler&start=30

I just took the plunge and ordered a Helium 703 spinning as a high-end rod for my non-enthusiast family members. They usually fish a lineup or Powell Inferno rods, and I'm thinking having a high-end blank might be a new experience for them (and that - at 280 bucks - that's a good investment). Plus, with the new Helium having the same blank as the new Zbone (something I never understood) I'll be able to draw some direct comparison to my older 733 Zbone that is build on the Xray blank.

Kinda curious now. I only handled the new Helium in Cal's garage, but it actually felt like a high-end rod then.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:05 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:44 pm

Everything you said.

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimanogloomis man » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Iv had a few different models over the past few years and to me Kistler rods IMO are over rated , every time I order one cause of the good sales they run I alway end up selling it , the only good rod that I still with they made was the (LTA)LIGHTER THAN AIR. I loved those rods !! Gotta be a good 15 years ago. Yes and I did own a helium 3 and no it’s not the same IMO.
Shimano and Gloomis just kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc 225

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:34 pm

So mine came today... They feel just like a copy of NFC blanks, oddly enough while the rods are bare of coo information, the shirt is not

1626399181715.jpg
1626399181715.jpg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:51 pm

So after playing with them more, these two do seem like point blank blanks that are very reminiscent of NFC blanks. I'm looking forward to fishing my NFC builds side by side with them....if NFC ever sends my grips.....

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am

Got my Helium 703 yesterday, hoping to fish it today. I was surprised by how barebones the rod still feels. It's Kistler, of course, so my expectations were already calibrated. But the winding checks that Cal showed in his TT review are missing on my rod (it's just bare cork meeting the blank). The reel seat feels like one I expect on a $120 rod, as well, and the balance point with a MGX30 is a couple of inches in front of the foam nut). Proof is in the puddin... blank, though, I'll post some impressions later.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:38 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am
Got my Helium 703 yesterday, hoping to fish it today. I was surprised by how barebones the rod still feels. It's Kistler, of course, so my expectations were already calibrated. But the winding checks that Cal showed in his TT review are missing on my rod (it's just bare cork meeting the blank). The reel seat feels like one I expect on a $120 rod, as well, and the balance point with a MGX30 is a couple of inches in front of the foam nut). Proof is in the puddin... blank, though, I'll post some impressions later.
I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up....my argon has them my klx doesn't.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Fished that Helium 703 for an hour or so today in a rocky area where I usually use my Xray Zbone 733. Same bait as on that Zbone, 3” 1/2oz Dark Sleeper. The Helium is plenty sensitive, but to me it’s nowhere near as electric as the Xray Zbone. It just doesn’t have that special super high end feel as an Xray rod.

With Kistler now using the same blank on the Helium and the Zbone… no way I’d pay $550 for a Zbone anymore. On sale, for $280, the Helium is a decent deal, though. It’s a barebones build with bad balance as usual, but you get nwhat feels like GLX levels of sensitivity at a discount.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:45 pm

I added some additional impressions to the last Kistler thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=85040&start=75.

At $270, a Helium might be a good investment, but bite detection is a potential issue. I certainly wouldn't buy a new Zbone after what I've experienced so far. The new Zbone blank is the same as on the Helium, that blank isn't as good as the old Xrays, and the only upgrade that we get on the Zbone is better cork and an upgrade to the guide train. I just don't understand the thinking here. Guide trains help with sensitivity, but they don't make a drastic enough difference to charge $150 more (at full price). And Kistler cork... well, it's Kistler cork.

Kistler calls the Zbone "the top shelf rod". Well, if we run with that analogy: the Xray Zbone was an incredible 40 year old whiskey and the old Helium was a very good 30 year old whiskey. Now, with the same new KC9 blank used on both rods, the Helium is a 35 year old scotch, and the Zbone... well, it's also 35 year scotch, but the bottle is a bit fancier. I don't buy whiskey because of fancy bottles, I buy it for its taste.

Give me that old Zbone any day. I'm not going to get a new one after my experience with the Helium.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:47 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:45 pm
I added some additional impressions to the last Kistler thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=85040&start=75.

At $270, a Helium might be a good investment, but bite detection is a potential issue. I certainly wouldn't buy a new Zbone after what I've experienced so far. The new Zbone blank is the same as on the Helium, that blank isn't as good as the old Xrays, and the only upgrade that we get on the Zbone is better cork and an upgrade to the guide train. I just don't understand the thinking here. Guide trains help with sensitivity, but they don't make a drastic enough difference to charge $150 more (at full price). And Kistler cork... well, it's Kistler cork.

Kistler calls the Zbone "the top shelf rod". Well, if we run with that analogy: the Xray Zbone was an incredible 40 year old whiskey and the old Helium was a very good 30 year old whiskey. Now, with the same new KC9 blank used on both rods, the Helium is a 35 year old scotch, and the Zbone... well, it's also 35 year scotch, but the bottle is a bit fancier. I don't buy whiskey because of fancy bottles, I buy it for its taste.

Give me that old Zbone any day. I'm not going to get a new one after my experience with the Helium.
Sounds like buying an x-ray blank and building custom is the way to go unless getting a Helium cheap...cheap to me is under $270