HELP Broken Rod Trigger

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

HELP Broken Rod Trigger

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:25 am

I had a damaged guide on a Lew's rod, I sent them pictures and they sent me a replacement, the $200 range LFS X5 or Custom Pro rod. The rod looked great, was actually a bit too soft (supposed to be a 7'M mod fast All Purpose, but feels more like a cranking rod), but the trigger was broken off. They have a hook keeper in the trigger, a small hole where your index finger lies, but this one is snapped off and jagged. I feel so bad sending a rod back after they were so kind to replace it and be so helpful, is there anyway I could fix this? I could put one of those trigger guards over it, but I need to find the broken off trigger tip to give the cover support, will super glue hold good on graphite reel seats? I will try and post a picture, but I think they will send a replacement anyways...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: HELP Broken Rod Trigger

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:27 am

I had that happen on an old American Rodsmiths rod back in the day. I used a dremel to shape the tip of the trigger to a smooth/usable shape. This left the trigger a little shorter, but it was still comfortable. I think that rod is still in my barn somewhere lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:01 pm

If its under warranty, send it back. It costs them peanuts to replace a made in china rod.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:32 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:01 pm
If its under warranty, send it back. It costs them peanuts to replace a made in china rod.
This is what I am hoping they let me do. I just felt bad because their customer service really was amazing. Got me a new rod in like 4 days. Just the fact that it was broke kinda sucked. I figure they will help me out, the rod was much too soft anyways though and I think I will go for a 6'10"MH spinnerbait next time. Love the full handle on these rods.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:34 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:27 am
I had that happen on an old American Rodsmiths rod back in the day. I used a dremel to shape the tip of the trigger to a smooth/usable shape. This left the trigger a little shorter, but it was still comfortable. I think that rod is still in my barn somewhere lol!
I might try this, if I can find the broken piece I might can glue it... The hole in the trigger (their hook keeper) could serve as a point to add extra glue for strength. Also considered adding a rubber trigger grip to hold it on there. Sometimes they let you keep the broken rod, other times they want it back.