Help with rod decision

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Help with rod decision

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:42 pm

I broke my beloved custom K2 683ml. Primary use is 1/8 oz lead with various types of soft plastics, mostly open water - 7/8 lb fluoro. Would like something with a similar action and taper, but maybe just a touch more reserve power. Sensit and feedb must be at least equal. Here is a list of options I'm considering. Any feedback or user experience would be greatly appreciated
Evergreen Kaleido Designo Quad Light
Megabass X7 Super Eiger
Abu Garcia Fantasista Regista 6'10 ml
16 Poison Glorious Mighty Finesse
Jackall Revoltage 6/8 ml
Just build another K2

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help with rod decision

Post by Finesse Angler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am

Personally I love the super eiger. It’s worked well for small jigs as well as Texas rigged soft plastics with 1/8th oz. I use fluorocarbon straight through and the sensitivity is plenty. I can tell when the bottom changes, when my lure is fouled with grass, and structure. It’s also got plenty of backbone when fighting 3-5lb fish. Works well with a wacky senko as well as moving baits for me, very versatile. I’ve wanted to try the mighty finesse my self, I’ve heard it’s similar to the super eiger.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 am

I have no input on any of the alternative rods you're considering. But as somebody who loves the K2 blank, as well: I'm having a hard time identifying blanks that match the K2 3-power ML blank. Normally I'd post a list of disclaimers for anybody considering the 683 or 713, but obviously you know exactly how it fishes and what it does (not) do. With it being such a light action (more of a light than a medium-light, and lighter than a MB F3 power IMO), I'd be worried a replacement blank doesn't deliver that same kind of power (and rather deep-flex action) that I expect from a 3-power K2. You'd get a very good rod, but not necessarily a replacement rod for the old one.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 am
I have no input on any of the alternative rods you're considering. But as somebody who loves the K2 blank, as well: I'm having a hard time identifying blanks that match the K2 3-power ML blank. Normally I'd post a list of disclaimers for anybody considering the 683 or 713, but obviously you know exactly how it fishes and what it does (not) do. With it being such a light action (more of a light than a medium-light, and lighter than a MB F3 power IMO), I'd be worried a replacement blank doesn't deliver that same kind of power (and rather deep-flex action) that I expect from a 3-power K2. You'd get a very good rod, but not necessarily a replacement rod for the old one.
The plan was to build a new K2, but unfortunately, Phenix doesn't have any blanks in stock. They don't know when more will arrive. He told me to check back in September 😕

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Finesse Angler wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am
Personally I love the super eiger. It’s worked well for small jigs as well as Texas rigged soft plastics with 1/8th oz. I use fluorocarbon straight through and the sensitivity is plenty. I can tell when the bottom changes, when my lure is fouled with grass, and structure. It’s also got plenty of backbone when fighting 3-5lb fish. Works well with a wacky senko as well as moving baits for me, very versatile. I’ve wanted to try the mighty finesse my self, I’ve heard it’s similar to the super eiger.
How does it handle/load 1/8 oz?

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:22 pm

Pure 1/8oz couldn’t say. 1/8oz with small soft plastic like a chunk craw 2.8, impact fat 2.8 and reins ring craw 2.5 it loads the tip fine. I can cast a yo-zuri rattlin’ vibe mini a useable distance with the right cast and that is 3/16oz. I don’t personally cast lowers than that in raw weight. With the right reel probably doable, I can try this weekend to see how it feels and let you know.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 pm

Finesse Angler wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:22 pm
Pure 1/8oz couldn’t say. 1/8oz with small soft plastic like a chunk craw 2.8, impact fat 2.8 and reins ring craw 2.5 it loads the tip fine. I can cast a yo-zuri rattlin’ vibe mini a useable distance with the right cast and that is 3/16oz. I don’t personally cast lowers than that in raw weight. With the right reel probably doable, I can try this weekend to see how it feels and let you know.
Sounds like what I'm after. Thanks for the help.