Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

Post by fishonsc » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:29 am

Guess I have been lucky or I catch small fish. Lol. I have 7 P5's, 5 XXX's, 2 XX's and 3 Levante's. I fish 3 days a week. 10 months out of the yr. I have not had a problem out of any of them. I thoroughly enjoy using them. Probably will break one tomorrow. Lol.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:47 pm

No issues here so far, I have a addermine and a flyssa.

Caught a 9lb grass carp on accident on the flyssa, what a fight...

Sold my whipsnake to a friend and he has been running it hard since without any problems.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:29 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:29 am
Guess I have been lucky or I catch small fish. Lol. I have 7 P5's, 5 XXX's, 2 XX's and 3 Levante's. I fish 3 days a week. 10 months out of the yr. I have not had a problem out of any of them. I thoroughly enjoy using them. Probably will break one tomorrow. Lol.
Lol don’t jinx yourself.
But honestly that’s great and how it should be.
We shouldn’t be here saying we must be lucky because our rods have held up.

I once caught a 8lb catfish on my Whipsnake and loved every MINUTE of it. Lol

These rods can definitely handle fish.
I actually wouldn’t be as mad if that’s how they ended up breaking. But there’s no excuses for a rod breaking while casting well within the lure rating.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:54 am

GeraldT wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:29 pm
fishonsc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:29 am
Lol don’t jinx yourself.
But honestly that’s great and how it should be.
We shouldn’t be here saying we must be lucky because our rods have held up.

I once caught a 8lb catfish on my Whipsnake and loved every MINUTE of it. Lol

These rods can definitely handle fish.
I actually wouldn’t be as mad if that’s how they ended up breaking. But there’s no excuses for a rod breaking while casting well within the lure rating.
I agree completely. It would take all the fun out of fishing if in the back of my mind. I am thinking my rod is going to break. Every rod I have broke and it's not that many. It was my fault. I wonder how many people have broke there rods a week after trying to rip a snag out with 80lb braid. Not saying that the case here. Tight lines!

NoGods_JustBassters
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by NoGods_JustBassters » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:42 pm

The Poison Adrena is a very popular series on this forum, you don’t hear about them snapping on a cast or hook set. I get that it’s complicated to know exactly what a someone did or didn’t do to abuse their rod before it broke…. But it doesn’t seem like you see people popping up about breakage with other high end rods like you do with the P5.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:37 am

For what it's worth, I dropped my Super Destroyer on the rocks a few weeks ago. Clearly my fault (I slipped). The blank snapped on the next cast. Sent a message to Megabass expecting a prorated replacement (I was upfront about what had happened), and they immediately offered to replace the rod free of charge instead (the rod was 11 months old, so I was in that window).

Not sure whether the P5 line breaks disproportionally (I know from job experience that forum sentiments and anecdotes do not always match the actual, real numbers), and I dunno if breakage is playing into their replacement policies. But I thought that uncomplicated replacement process was worth mentioning. This is the first MB rod that's broken on me, and I got a new one quickly.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:36 pm

Megabass customer service is incredibly good.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:37 am
For what it's worth, I dropped my Super Destroyer on the rocks a few weeks ago. Clearly my fault (I slipped). The blank snapped on the next cast. Sent a message to Megabass expecting a prorated replacement (I was upfront about what had happened), and they immediately offered to replace the rod free of charge instead (the rod was 11 months old, so I was in that window).

Not sure whether the P5 line breaks disproportionally (I know from job experience that forum sentiments and anecdotes do not always match the actual, real numbers), and I dunno if breakage is playing into their replacement policies. But I thought that uncomplicated replacement process was worth mentioning. This is the first MB rod that's broken on me, and I got a new one quickly.
I would love to know the science behind that. What happens to the blank when it’s dropped that causes it to weaken and snap on a cast.

The 2 I broke recently were only kept in my rod locker so there was no prior damage to the blank. Makes no sense but they broke on the first cast right after I removed them from the rod locker so now as soon as I launch, I remove all the rods I’ll be using and keep them on the deck while I drive to my spot to convince myself they get the fresh oxygen they need before use. Sounds so stupid lol

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:53 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:36 pm
Megabass customer service is incredibly good.
I agree. If it’s within the first year, you get an automated email with them apologizing and giving you steps for the return process and if that model is in stock, it’s shipped out as soon as they receive your broken one.

I had one where it was passed the one year and they didn’t have my model in stock so instead of waiting they allowed me to upgrade to a destroyer but I had to pay the 40% fee of my original model and also the upgrade destroyer price difference.

ChitownSkunk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ChitownSkunk » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:44 am

Earlier this year my P5 SD lost a guide insert and 2 other guides came out of the epoxy after fishing it 4 times. I like MB, have a few of their rods so I’ve been keeping an eye out to see if this is a trend we’re seeing from them cutting back to save. IMO I don’t think so. From what I understand rods break easier when you get into these lightweight blank materials which makes sense. But why my guides and poor placement? Think it was a honest mistake that slipped by.
I’d love to have the double footed guides from the P3 which are super stout on the P5 blank. Single footed bends to easy for me. I take care of my rods but don’t baby, and I’m ok with that.
Attachments
D1326D2A-998B-4554-B9D1-AF947F88B5C1.jpeg
D1326D2A-998B-4554-B9D1-AF947F88B5C1.jpeg (83.59 KiB) Viewed 3222 times

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 pm

The wooden reel seat on my Triza has cracked today. Still usable, but this is the first time i ever see a reel seat cracking.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:42 pm

I am a Megabass Fiend! My reaction to these catastrophes [-(

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Cristo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:42 pm
I am a Megabass Fiend! My reaction to these catastrophes [-(
Ya, my Addermine and P5 X-bites are perfect. If either of those showed up with crooked guides like the ones above I would have returned it immediately.

dee
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dee » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:02 pm

My JDM destroyer F5-510X broke while landing a fish.
Waited 9 months for replacement which broke 3 months later.

Switched to Tulala.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 pm

this season ive seen 2 friends break their xbites..one on a cast..and the other trying to boat flip a 2lb bass...i tend to baby my xbites and so it sees less usage and abuse compared to my other rods...i have a orrochi braillist which has been super durable...enforcer and a javelin also which i have less worries about them breaking...something about that xbites blank that makes it weaker than most mb rods....