Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Hey everyone,

Long time reader but I felt I needed to post my frustration to maybe get some answers.

After purchasing my first Megabass rod a few years back, I fell in love and I now own 9 MB rods in the Orochi XX, Destroyer USA and P5 lineup.

But today I literally broke 2 rods while casting. This will be my 4th Megabass rod broken while casting in 3 years and NONE were OG Levante's.

I remember reading posts about how if theres a defect in the blank, the break would happen early but that is so far from the truth in my case. I strictly fish for fun once or twice a week and live in the north where we get winters so my rods dont get the usage some of you provide.

All rods broken while casting were in their lure rating range of course. I do not load or underload any of my rods which is why I have one for every style I fish.

Today after breaking the two rods, I was even scared to cast my other rods far because I was worried they would break too which is horrible to think I have to do this.

I dont want to give up on Megabass yet but I am at a point where im really questioning their craftsmanship.

The one thing I can say is I keep my rods stored in my boat so I dont know if that can cause anything which I doubt considering no one has ever mentioned that and the other 2 rods ive broken in the past while casting were stored in my basement.

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm

First off, welcome to the forum. I have only used 3 MB rods in my life. All were nice, but overpriced for the performance Imho. I cant comment intelligently on this subject, so I will leave it to other members. I can say that I have seen more reports of breakage in the last few years, but I attribute that to the fact that MB rods are much more popular and obtainable than before they opened the MB America branch.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:54 pm

Have not had any issues and i hope this doesn't change because i have no warranty on any of them [-o<

But if you're looking for a tank, id suggest you track down one from early to mid 2000`s with an xfti blank.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:13 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm
First off, welcome to the forum. I have only used 3 MB rods in my life. All were nice, but overpriced for the performance Imho. I cant comment intelligently on this subject, so I will leave it to other members. I can say that I have seen more reports of breakage in the last few years, but I attribute that to the fact that MB rods are much more popular and obtainable than before they opened the MB America branch.
Appreciate it.
More reports of breakage in the last few years huh? Interesting.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:17 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:54 pm
Have not had any issues and i hope this doesn't change because i have no warranty on any of them [-o<

But if you're looking for a tank, id suggest you track down one from early to mid 2000`s with an xfti blank.
Hope nothing happens like this to anyone else, it sucks, especially considering their warranty time.
And thats what I find disappointing, having to look for a tank of a blank in order to get what you pay for.

Thanks for your help

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:31 pm

GeraldT wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:17 pm
SSS wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:54 pm

Hope nothing happens like this to anyone else, it sucks, especially considering their warranty time.
And thats what I find disappointing, having to look for a tank of a blank in order to get what you pay for.

Thanks for your help
They're not just tanks, they're very good rods as well and look incredible too.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:00 pm

Where along the blank did all these breakages happening?
Last edited by y2k88 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 pm

I have owned Megabass rods in the past. I still own a Whipsnake. There are too many posts about breakages. You don’t see that with Loomis products. Personally, if I’m going to spend Destroyer kind of money, I want the peace of mind from a lifetime warranty. Making a thin blank that is ultra sensitive while keeping it durable is a difficult proposition.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Wrong post
Last edited by Datbasstho on Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:53 pm

Rodster14 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 pm
I have owned Megabass rods in the past. I still own a Whipsnake. There are too many posts about breakages. You don’t see that with Loomis products. Personally, if I’m going to spend Destroyer kind of money, I want the peace of mind from a lifetime warranty. Making a thin blank that is ultra sensitive while keeping it durable is a difficult proposition.
I never owned a loomis rod, how many replacements do they cover?

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:00 pm
First one was between the 2nd and 3rd eye and the other 3 were between the 3rd and 4th eye.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:15 pm

GeraldT wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 pm
y2k88 wrote:
First one was between the 2nd and 3rd eye and the other 3 were between the 3rd and 4th eye.
Does that location correspond with how the rods are stored/ etc.?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:35 pm

From where you say they broke, it's almost like they are weak at the transition point from tip flex to backbone. It might be an issue with the way the cloth was bias cut, or the way the blank was rolled.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:15 pm
GeraldT wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 pm
y2k88 wrote:
Does that location correspond with how the rods are stored/ etc.?

Just checked, they’re in much deeper, the part that touches is around the 3rd eye from the reel.

Curious why you asked? You think of that was the area that was touching it could have caused an issue?

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:16 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:35 pm
From where you say they broke, it's almost like they are weak at the transition point from tip flex to backbone. It might be an issue with the way the cloth was bias cut, or the way the blank was rolled.
So basically some sort of defect right?