Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

Post by godshippy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:48 am

I don't have any MB rods because of reported breakage issues and problems with fulfilling replacements, but I just gotta comment that of the rods they have...the Perfect Pitch cannot be breaking like that. That's not a thin noodle of a rod and should be able to withstand some brute hands...

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:44 am

I luckily have not had any breakage issues with MB rods but the destroyer rods I have (heard) there are issues with are the models for throwing larger baits in the previous detroyer line. Orochi and Valkyrie line have always been good to me. MB is typically great to work with and I am sure not filling orders right now is due to the times and not their customer service.
Philippians 4:6

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:52 pm

I don’t believe that MB intentionally began producing subpar rods after decades of building a sturdy following. I speculate that there may have been some unintentional inconsistencies during production that may be very difficult to catch or even learn about if they’re fairly rare. I’ve had guys tell me that their SD of that generation was fine. It’s just that their warranty pre-supposes that both the angler knows how to use a rod and that defects should be ultra rare. If defects are not as rare as is supposed, then your SOL. After my first two SDs failed, it’s possible that the third one would have been the charm. But then I’d be conquest money into a destroyer. Oh well. I didn’t stop buying megabass. I bought a valkerye after my fiasco with the SDs and it’s been a go to of mine the last 2 years.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 pm

I have 7 MB rods (one Orochi XX, 3 USDM Destroyers, 2 P5 Destroyers, 1 Triza), and so far, none has broken on it's own volition. A few days ago, I dropped my P5 Super Destroyer on the rocks and the blank snapped in the middle right afterwards. Reported it truthfully to Megabass and was pleasantly surprised that they initiated a no-questions-asked, free-of-charge replacement right away (I was still in the first year of the warranty).

FWIW, I've dropped my FMJ a couple times and it's still hanging tough (it landed me a couple 6 & 8 pounders afterwards :D)

A buddy's Onager broke 2 hours into use (I think he posted about it on the board), but I knew that that specific rod had a reputation for it, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

NoGods_JustBassters
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by NoGods_JustBassters » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:10 pm

My P5 Super Destroyer broke setting the hook on a 2 1/2 pounder on a 3/8 jig. I’m actually a light hook setter too! Only had the rod for a few months and I take great care with my gear, was extremely disappointed. It was a fun little rod and I hate being afraid to fish the next one when it arrives. I would love a Tachyon shaft too but I’m really nervous about investing in more of them instead of just going NRX. I also have a P5 Cyclone and Wind buster.
Attachments
6F6862FF-E489-4C88-AD76-63E03A86B8C5.jpeg
6F6862FF-E489-4C88-AD76-63E03A86B8C5.jpeg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 3068 times

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:39 am

I don't know if I should love or hate this thread. I was looking at buying my first Megabass rod (not quite sure which one yet), but now I'm having some serious doubts. My heart is sad, my wallet is happy...

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:56 am

MB has a warranty and rods with defects will show pretty early on. Buy a MB. Everyone needs a few in their line up. The have a great action and craftsmanship is awesome.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 am

I don't exactly baby my gear, though I do try. I'd be worried about breaking the rod on a trip where I have no backups (like if I only brought 1 spin 1 cast), and those are the trips where I'd be setting it on the ground or resting it on a boulder or something. We'll see- maybe if I can get the right rod for a good deal.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:07 am

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:56 am
MB has a warranty and rods with defects will show pretty early on. Buy a MB. Everyone needs a few in their line up. The have a great action and craftsmanship is awesome.
See there’s a misconception about that. What determines “early on”.
Personally I fish for fun so my rods don’t get the usage a tournament guy would provide.

Early on to me is totally different from early on to a tournament or avid angler.

In 3 months my P5 that broke would have been one year old. I’ve only used it maybe a dozen times and it snapped during a cast.

Then I had my USA destroyer that is almost 3 years old and I’ve used hundreds of times which snapped during a cast.

And trust me when I tell you I baby the crap out of my gear.

I believe if there’s a defect in the blank somewhere then it will eventually snap, only a matter of time. Some last longer than others obviously.

I am not trying to knock Megabass what so ever. There’s a reason why I switched all my rods to them. But over time, things like this happening is making me second guess my decision because of the warranty period.

If Megabass even offered a 5 or 10 year warranty then I would feel more comfortable moving forward but unfortunately because of all the issues I have experienced and now I’m reading, I feel it’s not worth the pricing of their rods.

I absolutely love their rods and hate that this is happening but it is what it is.

I still absolutely love their tackle.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am

OP, I hear ya for sure. I live in Michigan and fish for fun also. Rods don't see the use here vs a warmer state. That's a pretty good thing to note when warranty is shorter. I would say if something happened in shipping or manufacturing it would show in your first couple uses with it. If you had some use like that and they snapped I would be asking questions for sure. What worries me even more than a random breakage is one of my little boys stepping on one! I sold off some Loomis and MB to try the new AGS compile rods. Might want to look into those??

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:33 am

It'd be nice to hear something from MB on it at least...With the Levante issue they got out in front of it and as a result, everyone was confident with them when they were eventually re-released.

With this issue, I haven't seen any kind of acknowledgement on what really seems to be more than just isolated incidents.

I've got 25 MB rods currently and up until now I've never thought twice about purchasing one...I use them exclusively with 1 exception. But I can say that even when mine is replaced it will definitely be in the back of my mind when considering new models unless something changes and I hate that because I am a huge fan of the rods.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:40 am

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am
OP, I hear ya for sure. I live in Michigan and fish for fun also. Rods don't see the use here vs a warmer state. That's a pretty good thing to note when warranty is shorter. I would say if something happened in shipping or manufacturing it would show in your first couple uses with it. If you had some use like that and they snapped I would be asking questions for sure. What worries me even more than a random breakage is one of my little boys stepping on one! I sold off some Loomis and MB to try the new AGS compile rods. Might want to look into those??

I didn’t know Daiwa offered lifetime warranty on the AGS.
I’ll definitely be looking into them.

How do you like them? Do they compare to loomis and Mb?

Thanks

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:01 pm

Still waiting on delivery for them. I do have the previous AGS Steez rods too. Very good option. Not a huge fan of all the NRX XF options and tried a majority of MB spinning rods. I'll let you know once I have some time on the water with them.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:08 pm

One thing i've noticed is that prior to the Levante and especially the newest Orochi XX, Megabass was never trying to build light rods. Balance was their main thing. But when they got into mainstream in NA, which was around the time Orochi XX came out, they began focusing on "feel how light this rod is", which you can see in many interviews. Thinner walled blanks might be the issue.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:40 pm

lds922 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am
Something is or was definitely up with Megabass rods recently. Had a new Warhammer snap the first time I flexed it...Buddy of mine had the same rod, bought at the same time, and it broke exactly the same way and in the same spot. Another friend has had several Destroyers and XX's break in the same manner.

Not sure if it's the same problem as the Levante's have, but there is no way these are isolated or user-error issues. I have a Valdivia that's a bit older and it's been rock solid for a few years....It's seems to be newer runs.

The warranty department is really backed up too and there are no Destroyers available to replace broken rods with...And stock of other rods is so low the alternative options are limited. They are willing to work with you though, which is nice and appreciated...But their hands are tied I guess.

To be clear, I'm not trying to bash them. I own a ton of MB rods across many models and no plans to change that. This is the first issue I've experienced so I'm going give them the opportunity to make it right...But it'd be nice to see some admission or confirmation like they did with the Levante's.
I had 3 Warhammers break on me. First 2 while string line and gave it a little (and I mean little) flex. Both were replaced but took months due to stock. Third lasted until just prior to the end of warranty. It was covered but they want a significant amount (I think it was 60% of retail) to replace. Felt like throwing good $ after bad so I let it go. Honestly, after the first 2 breaks I was always scared to use that rod and it broke setting the hook on a fish. It didn’t fit in my locker so never went in there.

I also broke a Destroyer jerkbait special on the first couple of casts swinging a 2lber. That rod (replaced) I still have currently. These were both in the very first Destroyer USA rod line. I own a few Orochi XX first Gen that have been fine. Personally I wouldn’t spend the $ on a high end MB again given my experiences. But I will say MB customer service was really good and prompt. I have no problem with them as a company. Just shouldn’t have to fear using a rod.