Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass rods keep breaking while casting

Post by y2k88 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:19 pm

GeraldT wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 pm
Just checked, they’re in much deeper, the part that touches is around the 3rd eye from the reel.

Curious why you asked? You think of that was the area that was touching it could have caused an issue?
Yeah, just seeing if the breakages are random or 'systematic'.
Depends how well the rods/reels are supported in the boat, whether you've hit any waves/water hard, potholes, anything that could've damaged the rods in the same location,
or as hhj suggested, maybe a blank design issue. :-k

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:50 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:19 pm
GeraldT wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 pm
Just checked, they’re in much deeper, the part that touches is around the 3rd eye from the reel.

Curious why you asked? You think of that was the area that was touching it could have caused an issue?
Yeah, just seeing if the breakages are random or 'systematic'.
Depends how well the rods/reels are supported in the boat, whether you've hit any waves/water hard, potholes, anything that could've damaged the rods in the same location,
or as hhj suggested, maybe a blank design issue. :-k
Ah I see why you asked. It’s a Ranger rod locker and it has the elastic ends to hold the butt in place so they’re sturdy and don’t move around.

And it’s gotta be a blank design issue but what scares me is that it was from three of their lineups (Orochi xx, USA destroyer and P5 destroyer) not like the OG levantes where they had issues and decided to pull and redesign them.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:55 pm

GeraldT wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:16 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:35 pm
From where you say they broke, it's almost like they are weak at the transition point from tip flex to backbone. It might be an issue with the way the cloth was bias cut, or the way the blank was rolled.
So basically some sort of defect right?
Id say that sounds like a possibility.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:41 am

GeraldT wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
From where you say they broke, it's almost like they are weak at the transition point from tip flex to backbone. It might be an issue with the way the cloth was bias cut, or the way the blank was rolled.
The generation directly prior to P5 that includes the USA series is where you see posts like this. Those who experience the problem are usually quickly shot down as a “vocal minority” by those saying nothing to see here folks. I’ve only seen one post on a P5, so I’m assuming the problem was addressed with the newest generation. In my opinion, a well designed rod should be able to survive a trip in a properly secured rod locker in a boat. That’s part of normal fishing. These breakages, as described, usually seem to occur under circumstances that fall into normal fishing.

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am

Something is or was definitely up with Megabass rods recently. Had a new Warhammer snap the first time I flexed it...Buddy of mine had the same rod, bought at the same time, and it broke exactly the same way and in the same spot. Another friend has had several Destroyers and XX's break in the same manner.

Not sure if it's the same problem as the Levante's have, but there is no way these are isolated or user-error issues. I have a Valdivia that's a bit older and it's been rock solid for a few years....It's seems to be newer runs.

The warranty department is really backed up too and there are no Destroyers available to replace broken rods with...And stock of other rods is so low the alternative options are limited. They are willing to work with you though, which is nice and appreciated...But their hands are tied I guess.

To be clear, I'm not trying to bash them. I own a ton of MB rods across many models and no plans to change that. This is the first issue I've experienced so I'm going give them the opportunity to make it right...But it'd be nice to see some admission or confirmation like they did with the Levante's.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 am

Had many of the same problems you describe. Made the switch away from them due to breakage issues. Mine were in the previous Destroyer series prior to the P5.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Maybe I missed it in your original post, but do you mind saying which specific models broke for you?

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:19 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:41 am
GeraldT wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
The generation directly prior to P5 that includes the USA series is where you see posts like this. Those who experience the problem are usually quickly shot down as a “vocal minority” by those saying nothing to see here folks. I’ve only seen one post on a P5, so I’m assuming the problem was addressed with the newest generation. In my opinion, a well designed rod should be able to survive a trip in a properly secured rod locker in a boat. That’s part of normal fishing. These breakages, as described, usually seem to occur under circumstances that fall into normal fishing.
I don’t understand why people who experience these problems would get shot down. We’re spending a lot of money on these rods and can’t even simply do what they’re designed to do.

I really hope MB figures it out. I absolutely love the aesthetics, feel and action of their rods but the durability is mediocre at best.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:23 pm

lds922 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am
Something is or was definitely up with Megabass rods recently. Had a new Warhammer snap the first time I flexed it...Buddy of mine had the same rod, bought at the same time, and it broke exactly the same way and in the same spot. Another friend has had several Destroyers and XX's break in the same manner.

Not sure if it's the same problem as the Levante's have, but there is no way these are isolated or user-error issues. I have a Valdivia that's a bit older and it's been rock solid for a few years....It's seems to be newer runs.

The warranty department is really backed up too and there are no Destroyers available to replace broken rods with...And stock of other rods is so low the alternative options are limited. They are willing to work with you though, which is nice and appreciated...But their hands are tied I guess.

To be clear, I'm not trying to bash them. I own a ton of MB rods across many models and no plans to change that. This is the first issue I've experienced so I'm going give them the opportunity to make it right...But it'd be nice to see some admission or confirmation like they did with the Levante's.

I totally agree. Something is not right.
As for the inventory, I remember reading someone here that has been waiting for a replacement orochi xx for 3 months and he still has no ETA. Obviously covid has a lot to do with it but it’s unfortunate going through summer without the replacement.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:24 pm

jdbassman32 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 am
Had many of the same problems you describe. Made the switch away from them due to breakage issues. Mine were in the previous Destroyer series prior to the P5.
Ya I’m hoping I don’t get to that but if one more does then I might have to.
What rods you use now? I’m curious to know what other brands keep someone satisfied after the switch lol

Thanks

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:28 pm
Maybe I missed it in your original post, but do you mind saying which specific models broke for you?

orochi xx Diablo Spec R
orochi xx Perfect pitch.
destroyer USA Daemos
P5 X-Bites

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 am

GeraldT wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:24 pm
jdbassman32 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 am
Ya I’m hoping I don’t get to that but if one more does then I might have to.
What rods you use now? I’m curious to know what other brands keep someone satisfied after the switch lol

Thanks
I switched over to the NRX's and Conquests just for the piece of mind and the no questions asked Xpeditor program. I've experienced no issues with breakage either. I loved the Megabass rods, especially the older ones as I had zero problems with them. However, those previous Destroyers left a bad taste in my mouth when they would inadvertently break for no apparent reason. After what I went through I just cannot bring myself to buy a product that I do not have confidence in to use to its fullest potential and be leery of hooksets.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:50 am

The ones I had breakage issues with were Flyssa, Addermine and Perfect Pitch.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:17 am

GeraldT wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 pm
CFDoc wrote:

orochi xx Diablo Spec R
orochi xx Perfect pitch.
destroyer USA Daemos
P5 X-Bites
Rough.

X-bites is my favorite rod these days. Here's to hoping mine doesn't break on day 366. :lol:

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 am

CFDoc wrote:
Super destroyer from the JDM line of the previous gen. First one shattered inexplicably during a standard hook set about a month into using it here and there. Replacement broke in the exact same spot on the first day out and before I had a chance to take the plastic off the cork. I also have many MB rods. I have 11 older models prior to the “new destroyer” line. All of them have been solid and enjoyable rods.