Action and baits

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Action and baits

Post by zelmo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 pm

For several years I have been using a zbone 2 power rod to throw a 4” kut tail worm on a 1/8 oz spyder head. That rod has the NFC blank and a x-fast action. I have a 2012 Aldebaran BFS mounted on it and I have been happy with it.

I just got a 2021 2 power zbone with their new blank. It is listed as a fast action. Between the two rods one will be used with the worm setup and the other will be used for small jigs and creatures that will probably weigh a little more than the worm. I have a Steez SV TW to use for the rig that the Alde is not on.

Which rod would you use for which application?

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Action and baits

Post by zelmo » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:38 pm

I had a chance to test half of the equation and it turned out as I would have guessed. I threw the worm rig in the driveway with the current setup (XF action) and noted the distance. Then I put that reel on the new rod with the fast action with the same bait. Between the worm and the spyder head I was throwing around 6 grams. The fast action loaded better and I got better distance with it.

Next I will try the heavier setups (8 to 11 grams) on the XF rod, but I suspect I know what I will find. That is going to work well.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:24 am

You might be the best source of information on this topic, not sure if anybody else has those two rods :) I have the Xray 733 LMH Zbone and the new-blank 703 LMH Helium (which seems to have the same blank as the new Zbone), and I find the new blank to be noticeably heavier and stiffer than the Xray. That 703 is rated 1/8-5/8, but I feel that it could easily throw 3/4+. Maybe thats because that rod has no tip - it's super stiff and under load, the blank barely bends between the tip top guide and the first tip guide next to it. (Almost feels like the tip broke 6 inches in and the tip top guide got put onto the shortened blank.)

If the 2-power rods are anything like that, I'd expect to throw heavier baits on the new Zbone, and lighter ones on the old one.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:28 am

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:24 am
You might be the best source of information on this topic, not sure if anybody else has those two rods
That is probably correct.

I got to test the other half of the equation in my driveway. I put a 1/4 oz micro jig and a small trailer on a scale and it came in at 10 oz. I then put a bolt on the end of the line that weighed 10 oz and started working on getting the brake dialed in on the SVTW.

The weight felt great on the XF 2 power rod and when I got the brake set right I was getting about 40 yards per cast. Granted the bolt has a bit less air resistance that the jig but I am happy with it. I'll be able to try it on the water tomorrow.