Cliffhanger Evolution or p5 bait finesse

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Cliffhanger Evolution or p5 bait finesse

Post by Finesse Angler » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:03 pm

Looking for some information on a few rods. Looking mostly at a cliffhanger evolution to pair with an sv light Ltd. the other rods I’m thinking of going with are the p5 bait finesse, poison glorious mighty finesse, and the new steez ags universal light. I believe the cliffhanger might be a little lighter in power rating but wondering if it fishes lower or higher than its rating. Also curious if the p5 is significantly more powerful or just a little than the cliffhanger evo. Wanting to throw 4” senkos, flick shake, chatterbaits, small jigs and small Texas rig.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cliffhanger Evolution or p5 bait finesse

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:45 pm

Finesse Angler wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:03 pm
Looking for some information on a few rods. Looking mostly at a cliffhanger evolution to pair with an sv light Ltd. the other rods I’m thinking of going with are the p5 bait finesse, poison glorious mighty finesse, and the new steez ags universal light. I believe the cliffhanger might be a little lighter in power rating but wondering if it fishes lower or higher than its rating. Also curious if the p5 is significantly more powerful or just a little than the cliffhanger evo. Wanting to throw 4” senkos, flick shake, chatterbaits, small jigs and small Texas rig.
My understanding is that the Mighty Finesse fishes more along the lines of a medium. I have the Super Eiger and it might even be a little light for your intended purposes if fishing around cover, so the Hanger is likely not what you're after. No idea about the new P5. Another rod I would throw in the mix is the Phenix K2 683ml.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:43 pm

The Evo Criffhanger is on the lighter more moderate side of anything I'd want to do with small jigs and t-rigs. It's really more of a lighter ML moderate so not well suited to those applications. The P5 Bait Finesse is more moderate and lighter in power than it's Destroyer predecessor, in either CH or standard configuration. Fantastic rod, more power than the Evo CH, a little better suited to light bottom contact, could see a very small vibrating jig on there - 1/4 oz stuff. I wouldn't call the power difference "significant" but the P5 BF is certainly noticeably more powerful than the Evo CH.

The new 21 Steez AGS 69M Universal Light is a solid medium with versatility in mind. It is noticeably more powerful than either of the other two I've mentioned (both of which are ML to ML-). No issues with light small jigs and t-rigs, lighter smaller vibrating jigs, flick shake is good, and a 4" Senko no problem. It's not a BFS rod, but it's intended to cover a wide variety of lighter stuff from top to bottom.

All three are fantastic rods, it's really a matter of precisely where you want this rod to fall in the spectrum of available choices. Hope this helps!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:09 pm

I too have a super eiger that is a joy to fish with. Looking for a rod around the same power level maybe a little lighter, hence the cliffhanger evo not to mention the sv light Ltd will look killer on it. How does the p5 bait finesse fair to the super eiger, pretty similar or more powerful? Never pulled the trigger on a hein so don’t know how it fishes sadly. The jigs I’m fishing aren’t very big being 4.5g cover creepers and dera break 3/16. My Texas rigs are 2.5 inch plastics with 1/8th of weights, all of which the eiger handles beautifully. Was thinking I could throw most of the same stuff on either rod or possibly even a 1/16th Texas rig on the cliffhanger but probably wanting it more for flick shake. Hearing that the cliffhanger is more of a ml than a light powered rod has me really leaning towards it. At some point plan on getting both but not in the cards for now. As for the phenix I hear the blank is really nice but not a fan of the reel seat and no plans to go custom right now.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:31 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:43 pm
The Evo Criffhanger is on the lighter more moderate side of anything I'd want to do with small jigs and t-rigs. It's really more of a lighter ML moderate so not well suited to those applications. The P5 Bait Finesse is more moderate and lighter in power than it's Destroyer predecessor, in either CH or standard configuration. Fantastic rod, more power than the Evo CH, a little better suited to light bottom contact, could see a very small vibrating jig on there - 1/4 oz stuff. I wouldn't call the power difference "significant" but the P5 BF is certainly noticeably more powerful than the Evo CH.

The new 21 Steez AGS 69M Universal Light is a solid medium with versatility in mind. It is noticeably more powerful than either of the other two I've mentioned (both of which are ML to ML-). No issues with light small jigs and t-rigs, lighter smaller vibrating jigs, flick shake is good, and a 4" Senko no problem. It's not a BFS rod, but it's intended to cover a wide variety of lighter stuff from top to bottom.

All three are fantastic rods, it's really a matter of precisely where you want this rod to fall in the spectrum of available choices. Hope this helps!
Hey Gary. In terms of power and sensitivity, how would you compare/contrast the Steez 6'9 Universal with the OG X7 Super Eiger? If it has more power, would you say it's a half, quarter, or full power more than the X7? Could you also describe any differences in the overall taper compared to the X7? By any chance you have fished the K2 683ml, please feel free to throw that in the mix as well. Thanks 🤘

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:40 am

The 21 Steez AGS 69M Universal Light has more power than the X7 Super Eiger. The SE is more strong ML whereas the Universal Light is a Medium, highly versatile rod. There is somewhere around a 1/2 power difference in favor of the Steez, maybe a shade more. The action of the Steez is on the faster side of moderate fast, again which lends itself to versatility. Truly and awesome rod. I can take it and the 69MH Target Sniper out on the kayak and cover an incredible variety of techniques.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:02 am

The new '21 Poison Glorious 6-10" L/MH (3-21g) will be my next BFS rod. Seems like a finesse super destroyer with that wide bait range. Was going to order it Monday before the exchange rate drops, but I now have three rescued puppies that were dumped and need a vet. F'ing people....

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:55 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:02 am
The new '21 Poison Glorious 6-10" L/MH (3-21g) will be my next BFS rod. Seems like a finesse super destroyer with that wide bait range. Was going to order it Monday before the exchange rate drops, but I now have three rescued puppies that were dumped and need a vet. F'ing people....
Where can I find this rod? I'm not finding it, just the 1610 medium and medium heavy.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:41 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:55 pm
KP Duty wrote:
Where can I find this rod? I'm not finding it, just the 1610 medium and medium heavy.
https://jdmtackleheaven.com/products/sh ... 8413&_ss=r

It has a somewhat baffling line/bait rating (3-6lb/3-21g). A max of 6lb line, but can handle 3/4oz baits?!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:38 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:41 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:55 pm
KP Duty wrote:
https://jdmtackleheaven.com/products/sh ... 8413&_ss=r

It has a somewhat baffling line/bait rating (3-6lb/3-21g). A max of 6lb line, but can handle 3/4oz baits?!
Yeah, that's definitely interesting. I think you should order one and let me know :big grin:. So does it come apart at the at the handle? Evergreen is doing the same crazy ratings with the new Orion lineup. I'm debating between the lightning strike model, and the new Steez ags medium versatile... Or custom 🤷‍♂️. It never ends....

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 am

KP Duty wrote:
I’m pretty sure that’s a spinning rod and not a bfs rod by the way

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:50 am

Bbrotz wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 am
KP Duty wrote:
I’m pretty sure that’s a spinning rod and not a bfs rod by the way
You are correct. It wasn't correct on Tackle Havens website. I'd still like to have it....