Phenix K2

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Phenix K2

Post by zelmo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:23 am

I am considering getting a Steez CT SV, and if I pull the trigger I will need a rod to throw 4 to 6 gram baits (weight and bait together.) One that caught my eye is the Phenix K2 TX-713C. There are a couple of things that I am not sure about on that rod.

There is a hole in the trigger that is to be used as a bait keeper. How do you like that and do you notice it/feel it when holding the rod?

What are your feeling about the EVA grips with the wood insert?

Thanks

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Phenix K2

Post by Drakestar » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:56 pm

I never use the trigger hole as a bait keeper, but it doesn’t interfere with anything ever, either. I added a Cal Coast Cali Clip at the split grip, the red one fits and the color works on the rod.

No issues with the handles; I’m usually not a fan of EVA on rods because it’s neigh impossible to repair (I can patch up holes in cork, gashes in foam stay), but it looks fine on this rod and with the wood accents. Grip is very comfortable.

I turned my 713 into my BFS rod, the tip handles light neds etc. very well.

If you’re serious about buying this rod and want to save a couple bucks: IIRC @Cal had both the spinning and casting models for sale a bit ago. They’ll be super well maintained.
Last edited by Drakestar on Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:58 pm

The blanks are about as good as they come imo, still better than a lot of new stuff that utilizes more recent resins, graphite, and technology. Mine are custom, so I can't speak on comfort or ergonomics of the production model. If you want a little more power, you can step up to the 683ml. It will load and cast down to 3/32 oz without issue, and it will have more reserve power. I haven't fished the longer ml, but I've been told it's closer to whippy territory. Just a thought, especially if you plan to use it around light cover rather than straight open water. Of course it's shorter, so that might not work for you.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I had a 7’ Zbone in a 1 power that was moderate fast. I used it to throw 1/16 slider heads with small baits in open water for smallmouth. It had an encounter with my trolling motor that took about 3” off the rod. I put a new tip on and while it is a serviceable rod I don’t like it as much for that application. I thought that the 713 would be a good replacement.

I would entertain other suggestions if you have any.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:31 am

I have been using the 713C for a while. It is great for small jerkbaits and swimbaits. Most of the time, I have a 110+1 Jr tied on. It will work with light plastics if using a light wire hook. You can dropshot with it too. The handle is comfortable and holding up well. I don't use the trigger for a hook keeper. I use a Fuji keeper instead. I have a Steez CT SV on mine with 8 lb Sniper. It's as sensitive as my NRX's and MB X7.