Abu Veritas PLX Tournament Edition

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Abu Veritas PLX Tournament Edition

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 am

Abu sent me on of these rods, had an issue with a guide on a Villain 2.0. Was expecting it to just be an extra loose, back up rod for a reel if needed, but I was quite surprised and might mount my new Zillion on there. They sent a 7'2"Medium extra fast (even though the rod just says fast action), rated for 1/4 to 5/8oz. The rod has the Powerlux 200 3M technology, but still uses unnamed guides and an "Abu designed" reel seat. The rod feels light and crisp for me, handles semi-finesse casting work very well. The handle of the rod is carbon fiber, a very smooth carbon though, not a textured rough feel. The rod lists 36 ton graphite, while the Villain 2.0 was 40 ton, but I do not feel a major difference. Overall I am happy to have it as a warranty replacement, not a downgrade, just a parallel shift. I would have a hard time justifying the almost $200 cost when a bit more could pick up a St. Croix, but honestly this rod feels pretty good to me and Abu Garcia has ALWAYS been so friendly and helpful even when you have the slightest of issues.

Just wanted to shine some light, I am one of the "cheaper" rod guys on here, but this was one I especially liked. Some people are not as worried about the reel, but for me I feel any sensitive rod with good ergonomics and components can get the job done.