Anyone have a Lews 6’8” TP1 Black?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone have a Lews 6’8” TP1 Black?

Post by reelblues » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:17 pm

I have a couple Lews TP1 Black rods and really like them, including the 7’1” Medium. I was wondering if the 6’8” Medium has the same action, just shorter. I use the 7 footer for senko’s and it’s great, just too long. I’m wondering if the shorter one is stout enough for senko’s ?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone have a Lews 6’8” TP1 Black?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 am

I have used the 6'8"ML Custom Speed Stick (white rods) a few times, but there are a few different models. To me the 6'8"ML feels identical to the 7'M rod, the old TP1 generation 1. There are some topwater designated rods and a few rated differently, so watch out. The new Custom Speed Stick is rated 1/4 to 3/4 while the other 6'8"ml and mediums are rated 1/8 to 1/2. I just got a 7'M Custom Pro, with the full handle (eva/cork mix), and it is rated as 1/8 to 1/2 moderate fast. It feels more like a cranking rod, bends almost identical to my Custom Speed Stick Cranking Wart Special rod. I also have the 6'10" MH spinnerbait rod in the Custom Pro line and it feels more like a classic 7'M rod, the 6'10" is rated for 3/16 to 5/8 fast action...

This all being said, the 6'8"ML custom speed stick was a shorter, slightly stiffer version. I hate to say this though because some of the 6'8 models have a more moderate bend, the old white Custom Speed Stick 6'8"ML was a faster action though, like the 7'M you mentioned.