Daiwa Steez AGS 7'3" Medium Heavy Utility Player

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Steez AGS 7'3" Medium Heavy Utility Player

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:03 pm

I'm looking at this rod for both 3/8oz and 1/2oz Jackhammers, both with trailer. Does anyone know if this stick can adequately handle both? Thanks much.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez AGS 7'3" Medium Heavy Utility Player

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:36 am

Absolutely. It's versatile by design and handles vibrating jigs, swim jigs, spinner baits, etc. very nicely. It isn't the moderate action heavy power rod that has been the trend over the past few years. It's a traditional medium heavy fast with a really nice tip that loads well with a wide variety of baits in its ideal range. I've fished 5" senko, jigs, t-rigs, spinner baits, buzz baits, swim jigs, vibrating jigs, and more. It's light, sensitive, and very comfortable in hand - just a great rod overall.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:31 am

Sweetness; thank you Gary. This will be an offseason purchase for me...cold weather is just around the corner here. I'm thinking I'll pick up a new Conquest DC 201HG for it.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 pm

I just got mine in, and it's definitely a crazy multi-purpose rod. While I don't know if it's ideal for everyone's style of fishing a bladed jig, because it's a true fast, it can easily handle the weight range that a 1/2 oz Jackhammer + Zako entails.

The taper makes me feel this is a killer texas rig rod though. A true bottom contact rod (no offense meant to the BCII Steez).
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 am

JCBHatesFishing wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:54 pm
I just got mine in, and it's definitely a crazy multi-purpose rod. While I don't know if it's ideal for everyone's style of fishing a bladed jig, because it's a true fast, it can easily handle the weight range that a 1/2 oz Jackhammer + Zako entails.

The taper makes me feel this is a killer texas rig rod though. A true bottom contact rod (no offense meant to the BCII Steez).
Do you like the taper better than the BC/BCII for bottom contact fishing?

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am

JCBHatesFishing wrote:

You're not wrong, the 7'3 UP is my dedicated T-Rig rod now... I don't even bother putting anything else on it. I've had amazing results using this rod and it's definitely a stand out in the series.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:45 am

Dan B wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am
JCBHatesFishing wrote:

You're not wrong, the 7'3 UP is my dedicated T-Rig rod now... I don't even bother putting anything else on it. I've had amazing results using this rod and it's definitely a stand out in the series.
I'm gonna use the rod for pretty much everything it's listed for. While it has a fast tip, it has this deceptive parabolic backbone, so I'm gonna run it with 1/2 oz Jackhammers w/ a Spunk Shad in the fall, as well as my 1/4 and 3/8th oz D-Bomb flipping. I think it's just gonna turn into the 'whatever else I need tied on' rod.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:43 pm

It’ll definitely handle those. But where this rod really shines is a t-rig. I been using the 7’3mh poison adrena for spinnerbait/chatterbait for the past few years & I was going to change over to the Steez when I got it but to me the Adrena is the better moving bait rod. Factor in price and it’s a no brainer. The 7’3mh Adrena is a AWESOME chatterbait rod at regular price, the steez even at 20% off is not the better value. With floro on the Adrena it has a great hookup ratio & can also be used as a trap rod, where the Steez would not.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:56 am

I know the beauty of this rod is the versatility. Would it work well with a Shower Blows 105 and Vixen?

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 am

I love mine for just about everything!
I just wish they made it in a 7-00.
Yeah I know it's only 3 inches but I really need one in that length. It would be a little easier to fish around all the cypress trees down here in Louisiana!
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon