Very good topwater rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
froggerbass1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Very good topwater rod

Post by froggerbass1 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi, been a few years since i've been on here a bunch. I'm looking for a really really really good topwater rod suggestion. I had been using the dobyns dx 743. It was good but definitely not my favorite dobyns. I'm looking at the majorcraft ms-1 7'5" mhxf or the st croix legend x 7'1 mhxh- i know that's a range of $169 to $429. I really just want to find a rod I can spend the rest of my life with, haha. I throw pupfish ALOT, as well as super spooks, but dabble in chug bugs, basically anything you can imaging chunking as far as humanly possible in open CLEAR water at schooling spotted bass. Thanks for any info/suggestions.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Very good topwater rod

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:35 am

What didnt you like about the Dobyns? Are you fishing from shore, boat or kayak?

Topwater, as you know, is mostly a visual bite, so high end rods may be a bit overkill.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:09 am

Are you using braid or mono? With a long cast, it can make a difference what power or action rod you use.

I agree a high end rod isn't needed for a dedicated topwater rod. The Abu Garcia Veritas has been a nice topwater rod for me. I have the 7ft Medium in the winch series (more of a moderate fast). I have mono and still sink hooks into big smallies long casting in clear water.

If your clear water doesn't have high weeds, you can do a medium graphite rod. I have high weeds and I still get 4lb smallies in. Keep em high but still in the water and reel fast. The line and rod give enough to crank them in before they get into trouble.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:58 am

I really like the madbull for topwater

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:20 am

I have the 7’1 MHXF Legend Elite which is the same rod as the X, but with a full cork grip. The rod has a nice soft tip on it that I would assume would be good for top water. I use the rod for flipping milfoil.

froggerbass1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by froggerbass1 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:26 pm

I fish from a boat. Have to make very very long casts to herring chasing spotted bass. The dobyns was really good as far as action imposed on the baits, but I’ve just lost so many fish. That’s with owner and evergreen trebles. Just seems like something that’s more like a fiberglass composite might keep them pinned better.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:31 pm

Might want to give the Dobyns 765CB or 764CB a try if you want some more bend in your rod. This might help keep fish pinned on a bit better. I've also tried dabbling in those Mustad KVD 2x short 1x strong hooks as well. I feel like the EWG style hook helps keep them pinned on a bit better.