Spinner bait rod suggestions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinner bait rod suggestions

Post by filthyPhil » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Losing a bunch of fish lately, using 7ftMH rods that have worked well for years. Just curious if a 7ft or slightly shorter medium would be better hookup ratio. Open to any suggestions.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinner bait rod suggestions

Post by rando » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:52 am

I use jerkabit rod for spinner bait duty and it has been working great for me. The rod I use is ALX zolo jerkbait, it has medium tip and mh backbone at 6’9”. Before I used 611 m+ Poison adrena and it worked great too. I throw mostly 3/8 oz. spinner baits, of various profiles (big warbaits, snagler river spinnerbaits and zman slings).

Loosing fish may not necessary mean you need to change the way you been doing things for years. Maybe just an unlucky streak.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:22 am

My go-to spinnerbait rod is a 7' medium fast St Croix LTB. It's an older Bass Teaser model. I feel like I get better hookups with the medium over medium heavy. Kind of the crankbait rod principle, gives them a bit more time to eat it. Tried a G.Loomis MBR 842, but it was too soft for my liking. St Croix's medium rating is just a bit heaver than Loomis, but not a medium heavy. My 2 cents

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:54 am

I use a Dobyns 733c for 3/8 and 1/2 oz spinnerbaits--but I typically use a trailer hook on most of mine.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Tried my loomis crankbait rod this morning, kept the fish pinned till about five feet from the boat and he spit it out. Anyone use a treble as a trailer hook on a spinnerbait? My only worry with that is I like to fish in heavy cover and could see it losing a bunch of baits. I do like the idea of a jerk bait rod. The two rods I've used for the last decade are the first run St Croix Mojo Bass spinnerbait rods in 7MH. I have caught 100's of fish on them but yeah bad luck might be the ticket as well. Nowhere local to me to actually hold a dobyns rod, I've heard nothing but good things about them would just prefer to hold one or any rod for that matter before committing.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:22 pm

You could always order through Amazon and see how it feels and return it :/

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:01 pm

filthyPhil wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:49 pm
The two rods I've used for the last decade are the first run St Croix Mojo Bass spinnerbait rods in 7MH. I have caught 100's of fish on them
Since the time when that Mojo rod was so effective with spinnerbaits, have you switched from nylon monofilament to braid, or from older spinnerbaits to newer ones with smaller barbs? Either of these changes could make it easier for bass to throw the hook (the braid by creating a bigger hole on the hookset).

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:33 pm

Have always used 12lb floro with Booyah, Strike King, and war eagle spinners. Those are the easiest for me to get locally.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:16 am

With the crank rod, losing them close to the boat could be a lack of hook penetration. Need more swing to set the spinnerbait hook because the rod gives more.

A MH rod with mono or fluoro works. I used braid for years and it worked. I had to set the hook with less power to make sure I don't tear a hole in the fishes mouth. That allows the fish to throw the hook easier.

Use your current setup and inspect the fish before and after you unhook it. If you have holes bigger than the hook, dial your hookset a little down. If they get off next to the boat, maybe try mono instead of fluoro.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Thinking about picking up a used lews custom pro jerkbait rod off facebook, the price is right but it's a 6"7 M fast action. I havent used a rod that short in twenty years so who knows. Going to try mono as well. Landed a few dinks today so got some confidence back, still heartbroken over the two toads I lost though.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm

filthyPhil wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Losing a bunch of fish lately, using 7ftMH rods that have worked well for years. Just curious if a 7ft or slightly shorter medium would be better hookup ratio. Open to any suggestions.
I wouldn’t suggest that but what I will advise is the old sbr rod by g Loomis
I love mine and it’s paired with a conquest dc 6:8 model and 20lb floro.
I love the rod, I call it the cinnamon stick because of the color
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:36 am

Okuma TCS 69MHMF

Amazing spinnerbait rod that I have a great hookup ratio with. The tip is super soft and it absorbs strikes super well, even right at the boat. With a curado K it balances on the lock nut and it just floats in your hand. It can be used for most moving baits IMO.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:00 am

russ57 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:36 am
Okuma TCS 69MHMF

Amazing spinnerbait rod that I have a great hookup ratio with. The tip is super soft and it absorbs strikes super well, even right at the boat. With a curado K it balances on the lock nut and it just floats in your hand. It can be used for most moving baits IMO.
What line are you using?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:36 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:00 am
russ57 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:36 am
Okuma TCS 69MHMF

What line are you using?
mono, 14 pound suffix seige

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:25 am

SBR 812 and 813
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible