I found an oldie but goodie

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
shadybanks
Angler
Angler

I found an oldie but goodie

Post by shadybanks » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:17 pm

While looking in the garage I found some old rods that I forgot I had.

One of them is an old Falcon Expert 6'9"L that was barely ever fished. I recently picked up a few BFS reels
so I think I will give the rod a try on one of them. It's not exactly a BFS rod but I want to see what it can do.

I also found an old CBR781 that I never really used either. I'm gonna try finesse cranks and maybe a
small 1/8 oz buzzbait that I like to throw.

20 something years ago I was getting into light baitcasting. I train retrievers and fish the ponds that we train
the dogs on a lot. I remember having to pull a crankbait out of one of my dogs chest one day (the dog was totally unhurt)
it was a crank that my buddy had broke off on a log a week earlier.

After that happened I decided that if we fish the ponds, we are going to use a strong enough set up to keep lures
out of the pond (and my dogs). I went with heavy braid on everything and put away
all the light casting equipment I had and forgot about it until now.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: I found an oldie but goodie

Post by KP Duty » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:16 am

Sweet. Those old U.S. made falcons are nice, sought-after sticks.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Nice. I found an old Phenix Ultra MBX rod 6'6" L power rod by chance too. Only thing I wish was that it would have a shorter handle length. I think it's about 15" maybe 16" but it would so much better if it was only about 8" only.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:22 pm

slipperybob wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Nice. I found an old Phenix Ultra MBX rod 6'6" L power rod by chance too. Only thing I wish was that it would have a shorter handle length. I think it's about 15" maybe 16" but it would so much better if it was only about 8" only.
Cut that butt off to your desired length and buy an EVA butt from mudhole to cap it off. I did this to that same model and it was a blast with light poppers. I used a Dremel with an abrasive disc to cut it. I slammed that rod in my truck door and missed it ever since. 😬πŸ˜₯
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:22 pm
Cut that butt off to your desired length and buy an EVA butt from mudhole to cap it off. I did this to that same model and it was a blast with light poppers. I used a Dremel with an abrasive disc to cut it. I slammed that rod in my truck door and missed it ever since. 😬πŸ˜₯
The thought did cross my mind. I keep wondering if I should chop it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:14 am

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:09 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:22 pm
The thought did cross my mind. I keep wondering if I should chop it.
If you arent comfortable doing it, find an archery shop. They have a high speed saw to cut carbon arrows. Just wrap it tightly with paper tape at the point you want it cut, then have them cut center of the tape. This will stop any fiber splintering.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:49 pm

shadybanks wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:17 pm
While looking in the garage I found some old rods that I forgot I had.

One of them is an old Falcon Expert 6'9"L that was barely ever fished. I recently picked up a few BFS reels
so I think I will give the rod a try on one of them. It's not exactly a BFS rod but I want to see what it can do.

I also found an old CBR781 that I never really used either. I'm gonna try finesse cranks and maybe a
small 1/8 oz buzzbait that I like to throw.

20 something years ago I was getting into light baitcasting. I train retrievers and fish the ponds that we train
the dogs on a lot. I remember having to pull a crankbait out of one of my dogs chest one day (the dog was totally unhurt)
it was a crank that my buddy had broke off on a log a week earlier.

After that happened I decided that if we fish the ponds, we are going to use a strong enough set up to keep lures
out of the pond (and my dogs). I went with heavy braid on everything and put away
all the light casting equipment I had and forgot about it until now.
That Falcon Expert Gunsmoke 6'9" L was my first combo with a JDM reel, the OG 2000 Burgundy Shimano Scorpion 1000. That combo with 8lb CXX was magical for 1/4-3/8 Topwaters.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Fri May 27, 2022 7:22 pm

You got me looking through my old rods and I found both a CBR 841 and a GCR 842. These were some of my first attempts at using BFS. I think I'll try these again on my next trip!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:37 pm

darrin wrote: ↑
Fri May 27, 2022 7:22 pm
You got me looking through my old rods and I found both a CBR 841 and a GCR 842. These were some of my first attempts at using BFS. I think I'll try these again on my next trip!
Absolutely, it will be worth it.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:56 pm

darrin wrote: ↑
Fri May 27, 2022 7:22 pm
What is a GCR 842? Was that a glass rod? I'm not familiar with GCR designation.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:11 pm

If I remember correctly, the GCR was a light action salt water rod. Short handle and rated 6-10 lb, 1/8 - 3/8 oz. Light power, ex fast. Too bad it was only available in GL3. Would have loved to see what an IMX or GLX version could do. I mainly used it for flick shake worms and experimented with spy baits on it. Fun rod to fish.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:38 pm

Somebody brought out the older model of the Phenix Ultra MBX classic 7' XH from the storage and set it up on the retail shelf. Now it's mine to bring home. Granted the older model may have a luxurious looking handle and added weight from it, but the construction of it really does put the more recent model of Ultra MBX classics to a disparaging department on finish and looks. It should be a trophy rod that should just be put onto the wall, but it's gonna get some use.

For one thing, even though Phenix list it as XH it's rated for only 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz. The tip on this rod is a bit softer than a St. Croix LE 7' H rod rated for same 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz. Still remember seeing these rods first on the shelves and thinking they're jewelry sticks. :big grin:

Rod on scale weighed in about 5.58 oz. compared to the St. Croix LE at 4.61 oz. However with quite a bit of weight on the handle assembly the overall rod doesn't feel weighty. A few backyard practice casting confirms that it's a touch softer than the St. Croix LE.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:04 pm

Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:38 pm
Somebody brought out the older model of the Phenix Ultra MBX classic 7' XH from the storage and set it up on the retail shelf. Now it's mine to bring home. Granted the older model may have a luxurious looking handle and added weight from it, but the construction of it really does put the more recent model of Ultra MBX classics to a disparaging department on finish and looks. It should be a trophy rod that should just be put onto the wall, but it's gonna get some use.

For one thing, even though Phenix list it as XH it's rated for only 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz. The tip on this rod is a bit softer than a St. Croix LE 7' H rod rated for same 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz. Still remember seeing these rods first on the shelves and thinking they're jewelry sticks. :big grin:

Rod on scale weighed in about 5.58 oz. compared to the St. Croix LE at 4.61 oz. However with quite a bit of weight on the handle assembly the overall rod doesn't feel weighty. A few backyard practice casting confirms that it's a touch softer than the St. Croix LE.
I still use my Phenix Ultra MBX 707MH from 2010 all the time. It is a very versatile rod and great for long casts as well.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:47 am

Scored! I found the old St. Croix LTB 6'10" MLXF casting rod. This was really the rod I wanted and then was waiting for the sale price. Before I knew it, out of stock and out of production.

At out local retail store, finally someone decided to pull out the old stock out from the storage unit. They were running a clearance sale and yeah, took them like over 5 years to finally pull this hidden gem out. I know by today's standard this rod is outdated, heavy and underperforming. But still it was only one of the few St. Croix ML in casting rod and St. Croix just don't build them.

Personally I would love the current production of Victory/LTB reel seats. My hands sort of don't find the wide reel seat nearly as intuitive for the palming grip. For the pistol grip for casting it's great. Just that palming grip and cast it's not as preferable feel on the hold.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:18 am

shadybanks wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:17 pm
That Falcon Expert Gunsmoke 6'9" L was my first combo with a JDM reel, the OG 2000 Burgundy Shimano Scorpion 1000. That combo with 8lb CXX was magical for 1/4-3/8 Topwaters.
That's good to know! :big grin: