NRX+ Recoil Guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX+ Recoil Guides

Post by Salty Parrot » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:14 pm

So my rod has arrived, and I remember reading back then that recoil guides will groove if you use braid. Does anyone know if GLoomis managed to use better recoils on their nrx+ line of rods or would they be the same ones they used in the past? I want to use braid on the rod but Im not sure if I want to risk the grooving. It also looks like the nrx+ tip doesn't look to be a recoil guide. Was the previous model using a recoil guide tip?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NRX+ Recoil Guides

Post by godshippy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:52 am

I think the tip has always been a SIC tip or something like that.

A lot of people use braid on recoil guides--A LOT. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy fishing it how you want.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:27 am

I've been using braid on the NRX rods for years, between 4 NRX rods I have never had a issue.

I'm now using braid on my NRX+ rods without any problems also.

The tip guide has always been a SIC inserted tip on all NRX rods including the NRX+

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:38 pm

I’ve had at least a dozen NRX and now the new one. They have always had braid on them (spins). No issues.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm

I like the recoil guides for the weight and durability. I will add something that I experienced just the other day on my NRX+ 883c BJR casting model. I was using braid to flourocarbon leader and threw my first cast. Instant backlash (worst ever) and confusion. As I was dealing with my new found mess I found the problem. Somehow the braid got caught in between the fourth recoil guide in a way I have seen line get between swivels on lures. I have never had it happen before, and unsure how it occurred specifically. What I do know is it ruined the first hour of day light with the mess on my spool. Hahaha.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Jrob wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm
I was using braid to flourocarbon leader and threw my first cast. Instant backlash (worst ever) and confusion. As I was dealing with my new found mess I found the problem. Somehow the braid got caught in between the fourth recoil guide in a way I have seen line get between swivels on lures.
Do you mean like a split ring?

I've heard of recoils eating connection knots, esp on spinning rods...the line ends up working its way into the coils. Stuff of nightmares for an OCD fisherman like myself lol.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:25 am

Yes. Sorry I meant split ring.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks for all the replies guys, it makes me feel at ease now that noone has had problems with recoils and braid

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:43 pm

i fished braid on the old GLX based recoils without any issues for like 10 years before my last one was sold. Fish On!

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:47 am

I’ve only ever grooved recoils with mono, actually, never braid. It was only on float rods in sub-freezing temps. Regular recoils “soften” significantly under 32F and no longer spring. They have addressed this with a new formulation for the ice fishing community that’s good down to just negative F. Haven’t tried them because they don’t offer the sizes I need…

Also what I have come to learn, is the hybrid guide train the NRX iterations employ is the way to go. My 6 custom CTS float rods all grooved on the first 2-3 stripper guides and the tip top only. I had a 15’ GLX float rod that grooved more guides than that (it had a SiC tip), but we think it’s because they tried to get away with way too few guides. I think that one had two stripper guides and maybe 4 guides down from the tip top that grooved badly. That mofo literally chewed mono, before I sent it back for warranty. No braid has ever touched recoil guides on 11 float rods I have/had with recoils. I have one Lamiglas factory tied 12’er that I experimented with Ultra 8 carrier in sub-freezing conditions with okay results. That recoil tip top is just starting to show wear.

I had a stable of the first gen NRX’s that got used with braid for 2-3 years and I checked them religiously due to my prior experiences. No issues at all. All were fished above 32F, though…