Daiwa Steez AGS Casting Rod 7'11" Extra Hvy

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Steez AGS Casting Rod 7'11" Extra Hvy

Post by robertjb7771 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Anyone fishing the steez 2021 7'11" Extra Hvy yet? Curious to hear how it compares to the previous model and to the competition.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez AGS Casting Rod 7'11" Extra Hvy

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 am

Yes I am. This is a winner of a Flip Pitch Punch rod. The inspiration for this one is the legendary original Steez Compile-X 802HFB. I've had that rod for years and this new 21 Steez is just amazing and a significant improvement in my opinion. The balance is impressive, the power and action is spot on, and the sensitivity is worlds better than the original. I've owned a bunch of quality rods of this stature over the years, but this one is at the top of my list of long, heavy powered flip/punch type rods.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Post by robertjb7771 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks for your input , curious , what reel do you have your Steez matched up with? I just received my rod today and will be benchmarking it against my Shimano Expride 7'11 XH, so that's going to be interesting...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:28 am

Deps DR-100ZXL is what I have on mine.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Post by robertjb7771 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:54 pm

That's a sweet purpose built beast of a reel, didn't know deps/daiwa did a collaboration on that one. I had my eye on the DAIWA x SLP WORKS ZILLION 9 SV TW-SLPW but i didn't pull the trigger fast enough , now its all sold out. :( . I have a zillion HD paired with my expride and that reel just has unreal power, feels like cheating. Looking for something to pair with my steez, i have a tatula F/P which i can use in the meantime but I'm looking for something a little more special. maybe a STEEZ CT SV TW 70 with a aftermarket 100 handle? i don't know....not sure it will be able to stand up to the rigors of punching over time.

Back to the Rod , my initial impressions are favorable , build quality/details are what it should be at that price point, i try not to get too much into the aesthetics of a rod as that is very subjective. I did find it curious how the rod came with a "AGS air guide pamphlet and in it , states how you should set the leader length shorter than 3.3ft ( 1 meter) and thinner than 0.47mm...Wont be an issue for me as I intend to use strictly braid with no leader on this rod but i ,like others like a longer leader. Is this a Harbinger of AGS guide issues to come if you use a longer leader than prescribed? only time will tell...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 am

Personally no way I'd run a Steez CT on the 711 Flip Pitch Punch rod. I love that reel, but when I'm punching, I want something heavier duty and a larger platform in my hands. I also punch with the 74XH Heavy Cover Special and have a nicely tricked out original Zillion 100SHL on there and it's a great match too. I had the Zillion HD (current version) on the 711 for a while and loved it - great reel, but that DR-100XZL feels like it grew on the 711. The Tatula Elite Flip/Pitch is a great match for both of these rods as well.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat May 13, 2023 8:51 pm

Digging up and old thread. How would you guys rate the power of this rod to some "finesse" punch rods out there like the older Compile X, Kister Helium 3 M.A.D (or M.O.D)...rods like that.

Looking for a rod to punch lighter areas like lilypads mixed with milfoil, pitching behind thick cattails and all that. I don't need a beefy rod and prefer some bend to the rod.

I live in way northern Michigan so, I am not dealing with giant bass or really thick hyacinth and such. Typical size for a decent bass I'd say is 3lbs with a "big but not super rare" 4-5lb bass.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing