Fairly inexpensive top water stick

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fairly inexpensive top water stick

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Looking for a top water rod to handle mostly 1/4, 3/8, and half ounce poppers and wake baits. Preferably around the 6'10 mark. I want a dedicated rod that I won't be tempted to use for other applications.
My custom Point Blank 701mf is just about perfect, but I can't bring myself to use it for top water only. I'd like to keep it around the 200 price point.
A few things - no glass, glass/composite. And it MUST have a full length grip. Currently I'm considering the Alpha Angler Top Hammer. I'm open to all suggestions, foreign and domestic.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fairly inexpensive top water stick

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:55 pm

Dobyns Sierra 683 is a little shorter but is a good option in my opinion.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:43 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:55 pm
Dobyns Sierra 683 is a little shorter but is a good option in my opinion.
Man, I just have a hard time spending money on any Dobyns. Definitely an option though.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:43 am

Have you looked into a Powell rod? They have the Endurance and Max that both have a 6'9" crankbait rod that might fit your bill nicely.

I've been eyeing a Dobyns Champion 685CB myself for poppers and jerkbaits.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 pm

The Daiwa Tatula TTU701MRB is a very nice top water/crank/jerk bait rod at its price point which is well under $200.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:21 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 pm
The Daiwa Tatula TTU701MRB is a very nice top water/crank/jerk bait rod at its price point which is well under $200.
That looks to be a solid option. I'm glad you chimed in Gary. I wanted to ask about the 2021 Megabass Levante Jerkbait Special. Can you tell me if this rod will cast and load quarter ounce poppers and wake baits, without pushing the lower limits? It would also be used for 3/8 oz and half ounce top water and jerkbaits.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:26 pm

I recommend a dobyns 703. When I still had the fury 703 I felt it was an amazing 3/8 popper rod.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:04 am

I think you might have a hard time finding a rod that casts 1/4 as well as 1/2 oz. poppers and jerks. You’re probably going to have to compromise on either end.

I would aim for a ML rod rated 1/4 - 5/8 such as ALX zolo twitch (no I don’t have it, yet) or the tatula bronzefly recommended or something with a 3/8 sweet spot.
Judging purely from the description Levantine jerkbait special sweet spot is probably 1/2oz.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:53 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:21 pm
bronzefly wrote:
That looks to be a solid option. I'm glad you chimed in Gary. I wanted to ask about the 2021 Megabass Levante Jerkbait Special. Can you tell me if this rod will cast and load quarter ounce poppers and wake baits, without pushing the lower limits? It would also be used for 3/8 oz and half ounce top water and jerkbaits.
A reel that excels at slinging light baits goes a long way when it comes to compensating for a rod that doesn't load ideally on the lighter end. A Steez CT for example will allow better presentations of 1/4 oz poppers on a rod like the Levante JBS which loads noticeably better in that 3/8 to 1/2 oz zone. A Tatula Elite Long Cast is impressive at 3/8 and up and would be a great choice for the JBS in those situations, but not as good as a Steez CT for the 1/4 oz stuff. Like Rando wrote, a rod that truly excels at casting 1/4 oz hard baits isn't generally going to excel at casting 1/2 oz hard baits. There is overlap and rods that accomplish both ends, but "ideally" those would be two different rods - or try to compensate with a better reel as I mentioned. This is Tackle Tour, so we are free to point out the "ideal" situation with impunity :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:09 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:53 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:21 pm
bronzefly wrote:
A reel that excels at slinging light baits goes a long way when it comes to compensating for a rod that doesn't load ideally on the lighter end. A Steez CT for example will allow better presentations of 1/4 oz poppers on a rod like the Levante JBS which loads noticeably better in that 3/8 to 1/2 oz zone. A Tatula Elite Long Cast is impressive at 3/8 and up and would be a great choice for the JBS in those situations, but not as good as a Steez CT for the 1/4 oz stuff. Like Rando wrote, a rod that truly excels at casting 1/4 oz hard baits isn't generally going to excel at casting 1/2 oz hard baits. There is overlap and rods that accomplish both ends, but "ideally" those would be two different rods - or try to compensate with a better reel as I mentioned. This is Tackle Tour, so we are free to point out the "ideal" situation with impunity :lol:
I also asked Bryan. He said probably not the best option. My Point Blank 701mf indeed excels at all of these tasks. I'm ruling out the Levante, but what are your thoughts on the Orochi XXX Elseil or Rattle Viper?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:09 pm
I also asked Bryan. He said probably not the best option. My Point Blank 701mf indeed excels at all of these tasks. I'm ruling out the Levante, but what are your thoughts on the Orochi XXX Elseil or Rattle Viper?
The Rattle Viper (Medium Light) is going to handle the 1/4 oz better than the 1/2 oz, though I have thrown the Rio Rico (1/2 oz) on there with braid and open water and it was ok, not ideal, but ok for me. The Black Elseil is a more interesting option here however. It is a regular action medium powered rod with plenty of power to handle 1/2 oz top waters and loads deeply enough even with a 1/4 oz to get it done.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:09 pm
The Rattle Viper (Medium Light) is going to handle the 1/4 oz better than the 1/2 oz, though I have thrown the Rio Rico (1/2 oz) on there with braid and open water and it was ok, not ideal, but ok for me. The Black Elseil is a more interesting option here however. It is a regular action medium powered rod with plenty of power to handle 1/2 oz top waters and loads deeply enough even with a 1/4 oz to get it done.
Nice. So the Elseil shouldn't have much trouble loading up and slinging a quarter ounce hardbait? Tips not too stiff, trebles won't rip out under load?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:17 pm
Nice. So the Elseil shouldn't have much trouble loading up and slinging a quarter ounce hardbait? Tips not too stiff, trebles won't rip out under load?
As well as the medium light Rattle Viper, no. But, it will certainly offer you more leniency with 1/4 oz baits due to the deeper loading nature of a medium power Megabass moderate action rod. That feature will also help protect against losing fish when they surge with smaller treble baits provided your reels drag is properly set and matched to the line you're using.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:36 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:28 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:17 pm
As well as the medium light Rattle Viper, no. But, it will certainly offer you more leniency with 1/4 oz baits due to the deeper loading nature of a medium power Megabass moderate action rod. That feature will also help protect against losing fish when they surge with smaller treble baits provided your reels drag is properly set and matched to the line you're using.
Thanks Gary

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:51 am

I can confirm. The BE2 loads deeply and launches 1/4 to 3/8 oz. At 1/2 I am reaching for a rod with more power but for the 3/16 to 3/8 range the BE2 is excellent. The long handle facilitates long casts paired with how deeply it loads. Well balanced, lightweight and sensitive too if you want to do some light plastics light cover work. Absolutely bombs a unweighted super fluke on a light wire hook.