Long distance finesse plastics rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Long distance finesse plastics rod

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:30 pm

1/8 to 3/8 total weight. Baits like an unweighted super fluke on a light wire hook. 1/16 flick shake head and a skinny finesse worm.

Long story short I had an Orochi xXx BE2 that I didnt like. It was too wimpy and fished like a moderate ML rather than the touted super versatile M rod. It did however A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y BOMB baits like a weightless fluke or light flick shake. When I threw a 110 type jerkbait it would cast it fine althout it felt near the upper comfortable range but working it made the rod fold in half so never liked it as a jerkbait stick which is what I had gotten for. It was a very light powered medium with a moderate/regular taper that loaded deep into the rod. That deep loading and long handle made it a bomber of baits up to 3/8 oz total weight with 3/16 to 5/16 being exceptional.

I recently started fishing it with an unweighted fluke and flick shakes over open water and weed beds with very long casts with my newly tuned Alphas SV spool and attributed the casting performance to the spool. When I put the same spool into my other Alphas SV on a Steez Skyray rated similarly the casting distance was night and day. When on the Orochi xXx EB2 the distance was what seemed like 30% longer. It was very noticable. Of course just as I finally find a home for the rod I never liked I snap the tip off it it trying to get a tangled mess of rods out of the car. Wouldn't you know, the BE2 can't be found anymore either.

What do I get now? Do I even bother? I have plenty of M and ML rods with F and XF tapers but none load and LAUNCH like the BE2. Do I get an Orochi xXx Rattle Viper? It's a mod fast and 2 inches shorter but as long as it launches I am good.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Long distance finesse plastics rod

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:20 am

Some rods are pure finesse and some are finesse that encroach upon the BFS world and then there pure BFS as I see it. The sensor is pure finesse in my humble opinion.

I had to really figure this out for myself because there was a time when I think I was skirting on the line and trying to ride that grey area. I would suggest the Sensor as a pure finesse rod and I think you’d like it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:51 am

Have you looked at a Helium 3?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:46 am

The BE2 sounds very similar to the major craft days 6'9" medium powered model. The medium is also a regular taper and it is a lighter medium power but nothing like a st. croix noodle cranking rod, still very responsive. I didn't even notice the taper unless I was under a heavy cast or when i set the hook. But for it's shorter length it would rip lures in the weight range you're after, with very little effort too. Combo of the taper and the SiC guides and long for length handle just worked well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:51 am
I looked and then ran away. For some reason all the US rods looks like they were made in a shed in the dark in 1991. Rods gotta look the part. This is what it is replacing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211009-211708_Gallery_copy_530x691.jpg
Screenshot_20211009-211708_Gallery_copy_530x691.jpg (109.45 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
kistlerheliumnew2-01-sw_3000x.jpg
kistlerheliumnew2-01-sw_3000x.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:32 pm

I have a 2021 Helium 733 LMH, and you don't want it for throwing light baits anyway in my mind; it's too stiff and has no tip.

Looking at the Black Elseil 2 specs (but not having fished it), I'd consider two replacement rods: new Steez AGS 6'9" Universal Light or Phenix K2 714. I've used both to throw flukes and jerkbaits, both do it very well (the AGS via a whippy-but-fast tip, the K2 via a more moderate taper). Steez SV TW and SV Light reels on the AGS rod, Antares A on the K2. Both are really good jerkbait rods, as well, work in that "super versatile Medium" range (don't let the MH designation on the K2 fool you), and have amazing sensitivity.

Edit: And yes, both are USDM rods, as well, but I think they look rather good. Nowhere near as barebones as a Kistler, that's for sure!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 pm
adam lancia wrote:
I looked and then ran away. For some reason all the US rods looks like they were made in a shed in the dark in 1991. Rods gotta look the part. This is what it is replacing.
I understand look the part,
Im looking for a rod for my airy covid pixy..
for what your asking have you looked on the dark side of JDM?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:44 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:36 pm
LowRange wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
I understand look the part,
Im looking for a rod for my airy covid pixy..
for what your asking have you looked on the dark side of JDM?
What I killed was JDM. I do love some JDM rods but may have to settle for a 2pc due to insane shipping.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:26 am

LowRange wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Gotcha, no worries. I was only suggesting it because I have an OG LTA and it's sweet with a weightless fluke and lightwire hook combo.