Any opinions on the Orochi xXx Cover Hacking?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Any opinions on the Orochi xXx Cover Hacking?

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am

I have an SS SV I need to find a home for and like the way it looks on my Orochi xXx BE2. I have a hole in my line up for a shorter MH to pick apart cover. I like the light weight, balance, sensitivity and good looks of the xXx rods. Mostly going to skip docks with it and fish it along side a gen 1 xx PP and EMTF. Both of those have IPs on them are are kinda heavy and bulky. I like the EMTF as a long bomber bottom contact and the PP as a pitching and frog stick. Something for 3/8 to 5/8 total weight most commonly that is on the shorter side. 40# braid or 14# flouro. My concern is this might be too much rod for what I am doing but I'm just looking to load the tip and roll cast and skip baits.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any opinions on the Orochi xXx Cover Hacking?

Post by bronzefly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm

The SS SV is going to help this application with whichever rod you select here so you're starting from a good spot there.

If the length of the Chimaera (2" longer) isn't a deal breaker for you, you'd be getting into a more true MH power rod rather than the H of the Cover Hacking. Both are very nice rods and both can get the job done, but the F6-68 Cover Hacking is a JDM heavy fast rod, which is a bit more mod fast than most US rods listed as such. Total weight of 3/8 oz is certainly on the lower end of its ideal zone whereas on the lighter end, the Chimaera is much more comfortable and will load better. When you reach 5/8 oz total weight, both will get it done, but if you're fishing around heavier cover and larger fish - say TX/FLA/ALA, etc. I'd prefer to err on the side of more power overcome with a more capable reel (which you have covered) and technique which you also have covered. Just sharing a few random thoughts...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm
The SS SV is going to help this application with whichever rod you select here so you're starting from a good spot there.

If the length of the Chimaera (2" longer) isn't a deal breaker for you, you'd be getting into a more true MH power rod rather than the H of the Cover Hacking. Both are very nice rods and both can get the job done, but the F6-68 Cover Hacking is a JDM heavy fast rod, which is a bit more mod fast than most US rods listed as such. Total weight of 3/8 oz is certainly on the lower end of its ideal zone whereas on the lighter end, the Chimaera is much more comfortable and will load better. When you reach 5/8 oz total weight, both will get it done, but if you're fishing around heavier cover and larger fish - say TX/FLA/ALA, etc. I'd prefer to err on the side of more power overcome with a more capable reel (which you have covered) and technique which you also have covered. Just sharing a few random thoughts...
Thanks. The cover hacking being to stiff was my concern. I'll look into the Chimaera. I already have 3 MB heavies with a gen 1 PP, 711 and Hyuga 72H. I lack a good MH other than the long gen 1 EMTF.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:54 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm
Thanks. The cover hacking being to stiff was my concern. I'll look into the Chimaera. I already have 3 MB heavies with a gen 1 PP, 711 and Hyuga 72H. I lack a good MH other than the long gen 1 EMTF.
You're welcome. With that trio of heavier powered rods, the Chimaera will serve your desire for a quality shorter MH better than the Cover Hacking.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:59 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:54 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm
You're welcome. With that trio of heavier powered rods, the Chimaera will serve your desire for a quality shorter MH better than the Cover Hacking.
Good to know. These rods often have so similar ratings that it takes time on the water to discern the differences and luckily we GWood and TTT to take care of that. This is the SS SV105 that needs a home. Its sitting on an xXx for the photo and looks good there. It's got IS73 magnets and a Type R+ spool, Amo (ZPI like spool) and the stock 105 SV for skipping. Curious to see how the Type R+ does with the IS73 magnets.