One Texas rig/small rig jod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

One Texas rig/small rig jod

Post by russ57 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:25 pm

If I could only have one rod for everything from senkos, 1/4 texas rigs, to small rigs, what is the best option?

-Most people will say NRX 893 but will it load the senko well? It seems like the 852 is the go to senko rod.

Are there other suggestions? I also also curious about the Zodias 72M(different price point obviously), and conquest 842/843.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: One Texas rig/small rig jod

Post by Drakestar » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 am

Phenix K2 714 for me. I got the new 852 but that one hasn’t stood out yet for what you describe. Been using the new Steez AGS 6’9” M a ton for ponds lately and it might be up there, as well, but since I’ve been fishing braid-to-leader on the K2 and straight fluoro on the Steez it’s been hard to draw a direct comparison on sensitivity.

There was a whole thread on the ultimate senko and 1/4-3/8oz jig rod that might be useful, as well: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=85439&hilit=Ultimate+senko

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:39 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:25 pm
If I could only have one rod for everything from senkos, 1/4 texas rigs, to small rigs, what is the best option?

-Most people will say NRX 893 but will it load the senko well? It seems like the 852 is the go to senko rod.

Are there other suggestions? I also also curious about the Zodias 72M(different price point obviously), and conquest 842/843.
The old Zodias 72M works for those baits. It's a stiff tip mod fast strong medium rod that is super versatile jack of all trades but not really excellent at anything. I prefer mine for weightless senkos, caffeine shads, squarebills, swim jigs up to 3/8 oz max, 3/8 oz dark sleepers, 1/2 oz traps in grass, 110 size jerkbaits and 1/4 to 5/16 oz jigs all on 12# flouro.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:05 pm

For me, my 'silly versatile' medium-ish power rod is the new Steez AGS 'Moving Bait Versatile'. I've done everything that Daiwa says it's good for (3/8th oz swim jigs, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits; senkos and flukes), but it's also a killer finesse jig rod and I've even thrown a 1/4 oz texas rig with a Baby D-Bomb.

If I wanted a tinge more power, I'd look at the Poison Adrena 7'3" 'Versatile" MH (if I am seeking as much value as I can find out of my dollar). That rod is probably my favorite thing Shimano has ever made.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:38 pm

I feel like people fish 5' Senkos on a huge range of tackle, from ML spinning rods to some pretty heavy MH casting ones. If you fall on the heavy side then I think a 3-power Loomis MBR would suit your needs as would the PA 611M+. I have the PA and a 783c, both rods are great at 3/16-1/40z t-rigs and 1/4oz jigs. I tend to go lighter for Senkos but both rods will easily load one.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:24 am

the tatula elite mmh may be a good option. i've been using it with a steez ct/10# fc for anything around 3/16-1/4oz

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 am
Phenix K2 714 for me. I got the new 852 but that one hasn’t stood out yet for what you describe. Been using the new Steez AGS 6’9” M a ton for ponds lately and it might be up there, as well, but since I’ve been fishing braid-to-leader on the K2 and straight fluoro on the Steez it’s been hard to draw a direct comparison on sensitivity.

There was a whole thread on the ultimate senko and 1/4-3/8oz jig rod that might be useful, as well: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=85439&hilit=Ultimate+senko
How does the 714 and the 6'9 Steez AGS compare power and taper wise? What would you say the minimum and maximum loads are for both rods?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm

I use the Edge black widow 703 and 734 for my smaller rigs (4-5" senkos and smaller t-rigs). 703 has an alphas ct with 10lb fluoro and the 734 has an alphas sv tw with 12lb fluoro. Compared to each other the 703 has a stiffer tip but weaker backbone and the 734 has a softer tip with a bit more backbone.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm
I use the Edge black widow 703 and 734 for my smaller rigs (4-5" senkos and smaller t-rigs). 703 has an alphas ct with 10lb fluoro and the 734 has an alphas sv tw with 12lb fluoro. Compared to each other the 703 has a stiffer tip but weaker backbone and the 734 has a softer tip with a bit more backbone.
I just got a 703 haven't made a cast with it yet. My initial thoughts were it would be an awesome 110 rod but I have not made the first cast.. Im using 8lb floro.. definitely going to try to t rig with it..
My issue with light t-rig is the hook has to be light wire and there aren't too many good ones.. I have one that pretty good but its been used on 10lb test not 8.. this 8 has a diameter of 7lb to be fully transparent
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm
Drakestar wrote:

How does the 714 and the 6'9 Steez AGS compare power and taper wise? What would you say the minimum and maximum loads are for both rods?
I'll have to take both of them on the same trip for a side-by-side comparison, and I haven't used the Steez for all imaginable techniques yet. On the Steez, I've thrown Vision 110s and 110jrs, weightless Caffeine Shads, weedless tubes (0.45oz total) and I've cranked small Squarebills on it (Spro Fat John 50). It's handled all of those well and in decent amounts of vegetation.

I think you got a couple rods with the 714 blank, see if the following matches your experience:

I use the 714 for everything I listed on the Steez, plus weightless and 1/8oz t-rig senkos and 2.8-3.8" underspins. Small blades, as well (it's a great Damiki Vault rod, but too light for yo-yo'ing a full-size lipless in my mind). I expect the Steez will handle the same baits, too, but I haven't done it yet. For bottom contact (Dark Sleepers and t-rigs) I don't think I'd exceed 1/2oz total on the 714, and I find it too light for 3/8oz jigs but will do it in an emergency (but... it really should be a 1/4oz jig instead!). I don't think I'd consider 3/8oz jigs on the Steez. Not sure about 1/4oz.

If I had to guess, the 714 has a bit more power, but not a ton.

The Steez is quite a bit faster than the 714. Very smooth-loading tip, but it shuts down pretty quickly. The 714 has that typical (rather moderate) K2 taper.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:44 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm
ss30378 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm
I just got a 703 haven't made a cast with it yet. My initial thoughts were it would be an awesome 110 rod but I have not made the first cast.. Im using 8lb floro.. definitely going to try to t rig with it..
My issue with light t-rig is the hook has to be light wire and there aren't too many good ones.. I have one that pretty good but its been used on 10lb test not 8.. this 8 has a diameter of 7lb to be fully transparent
I agree light wire hooks are a must on lighter power setups. I use the Decoy KG offset hooks (made in Japan) and they’ve been wonderful. They have a wide range of sizes from the normal 4/0 and 5/0 down to tiny size 6 hooks I use with a 1/32 bullet and 3” trout worm.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:10 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm
Drakestar wrote:

I'll have to take both of them on the same trip for a side-by-side comparison, and I haven't used the Steez for all imaginable techniques yet. On the Steez, I've thrown Vision 110s and 110jrs, weightless Caffeine Shads, weedless tubes (0.45oz total) and I've cranked small Squarebills on it (Spro Fat John 50). It's handled all of those well and in decent amounts of vegetation.

I think you got a couple rods with the 714 blank, see if the following matches your experience:

I use the 714 for everything I listed on the Steez, plus weightless and 1/8oz t-rig senkos and 2.8-3.8" underspins. Small blades, as well (it's a great Damiki Vault rod, but too light for yo-yo'ing a full-size lipless in my mind). I expect the Steez will handle the same baits, too, but I haven't done it yet. For bottom contact (Dark Sleepers and t-rigs) I don't think I'd exceed 1/2oz total on the 714, and I find it too light for 3/8oz jigs but will do it in an emergency (but... it really should be a 1/4oz jig instead!). I don't think I'd consider 3/8oz jigs on the Steez. Not sure about 1/4oz.

If I had to guess, the 714 has a bit more power, but not a ton.

The Steez is quite a bit faster than the 714. Very smooth-loading tip, but it shuts down pretty quickly. The 714 has that typical (rather moderate) K2 taper.
Excellent. Thanks man. Sounds like the Steez is relatively fast, and essentially fishes like a medium light plus. I already have too many rods in that general wheelhouse.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm
Excellent. Thanks man. Sounds like the Steez is relatively fast, and essentially fishes like a medium light plus. I already have too many rods in that general wheelhouse.
That's probably correct, but I might put the Steez at a true M and the 714 at not-quite-Medium+. The Steez Universal Light Medium feels heavier than "The One" (officially a MML), but it's a tricky comparison with one rod being 6'9" and the other at 7'6". The 714 is heavier to me than the Steez 6'9" but lighter than the X-ray Zbone 733 (a "Light Medium Heavy"). And then the Loomis 3-powers (a 843 GLX in my case) fish a bit heavier than that 3-power Zbone) to me. Oh, and of course the 714 is officially a MH even though we all know that it's not! :lol: Lots of (probably inconsequential) nuance in that power spectrum...

They're both great single-combo pond rods, where I'd give the nod to the Steez for weightless senkos and flukes and the 714 for t-rigs. But they'll all do it... Obviously I have too many rods in this area myself :D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:32 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm
That's probably correct, but I might put the Steez at a true M and the 714 at not-quite-Medium+. The Steez Universal Light Medium feels heavier than "The One" (officially a MML), but it's a tricky comparison with one rod being 6'9" and the other at 7'6". The 714 is heavier to me than the Steez 6'9" but lighter than the X-ray Zbone 733 (a "Light Medium Heavy"). And then the Loomis 3-powers (a 843 GLX in my case) fish a bit heavier than that 3-power Zbone) to me. Oh, and of course the 714 is officially a MH even though we all know that it's not! :lol: Lots of (probably inconsequential) nuance in that power spectrum...

They're both great single-combo pond rods, where I'd give the nod to the Steez for weightless senkos and flukes and the 714 for t-rigs. But they'll all do it... Obviously I have too many rods in this area myself :D
I'm having a rod built as we speak, in the X Ray 733 blank. So you're saying that the 733 is more powerful than both the Steez and 714? How do you like that rod? What baits and presentations are you using the 733 for? I recently broke my custom K2 683ml, and I'm replacing it with the 733. Any thoughts on how the Z Bone and K2 compare in sensitivity?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote: I'm having a rod built as we speak, in the X Ray 733 blank. So you're saying that the 733 is more powerful than both the Steez and 714? How do you like that rod? What baits and presentations are you using the 733 for? I recently broke my custom K2 683ml, and I'm replacing it with the 733. Any thoughts on how the Z Bone and K2 compare in sensitivity?
Yes, I think the 733 is more powerful. I have no idea what the respective blanks' reflection charts look like, and it comes with the renewed disclaimer that I haven't fished the Steez long. But intuitively, the 733 Xray has more power than the 714 K2, and even more power than the Steez 6’9”.

I love both the 714 and 733 TBH. They’re both in that upper echelon of sensitivity, but feel different: K2 is more traditionally sensitive (like an NRX) while the X-ray is more raw and bone-jarring in its transmission.

I don’t have a 683, but I do have the 713 and 714 K2s, and I feel that the 733 is a bit more powerful than the 714 and way more powerful than the 713. I think the 683 is a bit stouter than the 713, but IMO 683 K2 -> 733 Xray might not be a 1 to 1 replacement. I’ll be interested to hear your experience.

The 733 has largely replaced my GLX 843 - the X-ray blank might have a smidgen less power, but it does a lot of the same things I used the GLX for and feels even more versatile. I use it for 1/8oz Texas rigs, 3.8” Keitech swimbaits/underspins, 3” Dark Sleepers, poppers/spook Jrs, smaller chatterbaits, smaller jigs & swimjigs. It can crank regular squarebills because of its taper, but a dedicated CB rod will do better. It's great for TN-60s and handles a TN-70 & LV500 very well, too. It's not a great jerkbait rod because of length and lingering vibrations in the tip, it doesn't shut down quickly enough. (I've thrown them on that rod when I had to, but it wasn’t fun.) Don't like it a ton for flukes, either.

The 714 can do a lot of the things the 733 does, but I always seem to downsize by a notch. TN-60? Sure, but no full-size traps if I can help it. (Great blade rod instead! Like it better for that than the 733.) 1/8oz t-rigs work well, but I prefer weightless on this rod. I'll throw smaller squarebills on it, but not the ones I’d put on a 733. It works flukes proficiently (Steez is better), does jerkbaits very well, and is dynamite for navigating small underpins through vegetation. Killer weedless tube rod, as well; I use lighter rods for tubes with exposed hooks, but for that Owner Phantom Hook, where you really need to drive it home, the 714 is great. (It’s in similar territory as the 852 NRX there, but with more power.)

During my Clear Lake trip a few weeks ago, which was all reaction baits, I pretty much used the Steez 6’9” (jerkbaits) and 733 (TN-60) all day to catch all of my fish. I didn’t miss the 714 on that trip, but if you’d told me to only take one rod instead of the 6’9” and 733, it would have been the 714 as the perfect compromise that sits in-between.