One Texas rig/small rig jod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: One Texas rig/small rig jod

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Drakestar - Awesome details, most appreciated! This has all been very helpful. I don't think the 733 will be a direct replacement for the 683ml either, but it should be close after taking 4" off the butt. The 733 only has roughly 30 more grams of power, but I'm assuming the upper 3rd of the blank is stiffer than the 683ml. Definitely gonna pass on the 6'9 Steez now, even though I'd like to feel and fondle it. I've never fished G Loomis before. I need a rod to handle 4-5 inch paddle tails... 1/8 - 3/16 oz swimbait heads. This would the primary use, mostly open water for smallies. I was using my custom Point Blank 701mf, but it's simply too perfect for jerkbaits and top water. Not sure if I'd want a 2 or 3 power Loomis, plus I'm sure actual power and taper varies between rod series. I'm considering an NRX+ or Conquest. The NRX would have to be from the mag bass lineup, as a full length grip is a must. I'm also looking at a few Evergreen models. Or I might go the cheaper route, and grab an Orochi XXX. Any ideas or suggestions?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:21 pm
Drakestar - Awesome details, most appreciated! This has all been very helpful. I don't think the 733 will be a direct replacement for the 683ml either, but it should be close after taking 4" off the butt. The 733 only has roughly 30 more grams of power, but I'm assuming the upper 3rd of the blank is stiffer than the 683ml. Definitely gonna pass on the 6'9 Steez now, even though I'd like to feel and fondle it. I've never fished G Loomis before. I need a rod to handle 4-5 inch paddle tails... 1/8 - 3/16 oz swimbait heads. This would the primary use, mostly open water for smallies. I was using my custom Point Blank 701mf, but it's simply too perfect for jerkbaits and top water. Not sure if I'd want a 2 or 3 power Loomis, plus I'm sure actual power and taper varies between rod series. I'm considering an NRX+ or Conquest. The NRX would have to be from the mag bass lineup, as a full length grip is a must. I'm also looking at a few Evergreen models. Or I might go the cheaper route, and grab an Orochi XXX. Any ideas or suggestions?
I think you're on exactly the right track then. I don't get to do a lot of dedicated smallmouth fishing, but I got a couple clear & rocky open water reservoirs here (and one near my in-laws) where the 733 is THE rod I always take. It's crazy sensitive for bottom contact and the taper is moderate enough to nicely shock-absorb bites on moving baits (plus it can crank smallie-sized squarebills). It loads up well enough to launch baits, as well (using a MGXtreme2 on mine).

I guess I never go to a 4.8 Keitech in those situations, which is why I max out the 733 around 3.8 or 4.3 with 3/16- 1/4oz heads. (Same for Dark Sleepers, I usually don't exceed the 3" 1/2oz ones). But 4.8s should still be in the ballpark.

The 713 is a weird case where, on paper, it's a ML and might not have that much less power in grams than some of these other blanks. When I first got it, I expected something to rival a Loomis 2-power, but it turned out way lighter than that and I realized I couldn't quite set jig hooks with that soft tip (tried fishing all my tubes on it at first). That's why I got the 714 afterwards and the 713 ended up doing Ned rig and DS duties (plus spybaits) instead.

I'm not a Loomis zealot myself and can't recommend the perfect rod if you wanted to go that route. I got the 822 DSR (wouldn't use that obviously), the 852+ (might use it for smaller stuff, but my gut tells me there's a better 8x3 rod out there that I haven't fished). And I got that 843 GLX MBR, which I would/did use in those same smallmouth fisheries while I didn't have the Xray 733. (Oh, and I got a 855 GLX which is obviously way too heavy).

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:40 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:53 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:21 pm
I think you're on exactly the right track then. I don't get to do a lot of dedicated smallmouth fishing, but I got a couple clear & rocky open water reservoirs here (and one near my in-laws) where the 733 is THE rod I always take. It's crazy sensitive for bottom contact and the taper is moderate enough to nicely shock-absorb bites on moving baits (plus it can crank smallie-sized squarebills). It loads up well enough to launch baits, as well (using a MGXtreme2 on mine).

I guess I never go to a 4.8 Keitech in those situations, which is why I max out the 733 around 3.8 or 4.3 with 3/16- 1/4oz heads. (Same for Dark Sleepers, I usually don't exceed the 3" 1/2oz ones). But 4.8s should still be in the ballpark.

The 713 is a weird case where, on paper, it's a ML and might not have that much less power in grams than some of these other blanks. When I first got it, I expected something to rival a Loomis 2-power, but it turned out way lighter than that and I realized I couldn't quite set jig hooks with that soft tip (tried fishing all my tubes on it at first). That's why I got the 714 afterwards and the 713 ended up doing Ned rig and DS duties (plus spybaits) instead.

I'm not a Loomis zealot myself and can't recommend the perfect rod if you wanted to go that route. I got the 822 DSR (wouldn't use that obviously), the 852+ (might use it for smaller stuff, but my gut tells me there's a better 8x3 rod out there that I haven't fished). And I got that 843 GLX MBR, which I would/did use in those same smallmouth fisheries while I didn't have the Xray 733. (Oh, and I got a 855 GLX which is obviously way too heavy).
I'll be using the 733 minus 4 inches for power finesse. Nothing much over a quarter ounce. Various soft plastics. Some weightless like a Jackall Honey Nugget or OSP Dolive Gill. 1/8 oz wacky heads, Flick Shakes, Neko rigs, etc. Is the slack line sensitivity pretty good with the 733? I need a separate rod for the paddle tails - not the 733.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:15 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:25 pm
If I could only have one rod for everything from senkos, 1/4 texas rigs, to small rigs, what is the best option?

-Most people will say NRX 893 but will it load the senko well? It seems like the 852 is the go to senko rod.

Are there other suggestions? I also also curious about the Zodias 72M(different price point obviously), and conquest 842/843.
I’ve been following this thread for a while and to be honest I’m rather surprised that there aren’t many more suggestions. After reading the OP criteria I’m still a bit lost in terms of “small” rigs. So I didn’t want to post prematurely until I really had an understanding of what the OP was looking for.
I’ve been tooling about my rod rack looking for what I may suggest...

I have to be honest.. the Racing design texas rig special fits what your asking for to the letter.
It has more back bone than the sensor and If I were to go down the tier a bit,
my Black widow 704. I use my 6'11 PA for 110 Magnums and pointer 100's as I think its best as a reaction bait stick. Thats my personal opinion and others may vary but since I settled on this technique I haven't looked back.
My gen 1 med cumara rated up to 1/2oz is a good alternative.
Lastly, My H3 Med heavy is probably the second rod I'd goto after the racing design as its light and sensitive.
Last edited by goldrod on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:51 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:15 pm
russ57 wrote:
If I could only have one rod for everything from senkos, 1/4 texas rigs, to small rigs, what is the best option?

-Most people will say NRX 893 but will it load the senko well? It seems like the 852 is the go to senko rod.

Are there other suggestions? I also also curious about the Zodias 72M(different price point obviously), and conquest 842/843.
I’ve been following this thread for a while and to be honest I’m rather surprised that there aren’t many more suggestions. After reading the OP criteria I’m still a bit lost in terms of “small” rigs. So I didn’t want to post prematurely until I really had an understanding of what the OP was looking for.
I’ve been tooling about my rod rack looking for what I may suggest and i
Cliffhanger…

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:13 pm

goldrod wrote:
russ57 wrote:

I’ve been tooling about my rod rack looking for what I may suggest and i
Damn snipers again.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Depending on what we're considering small rigs, grab the 6'10 medium Poison Adrena. Extremely sensitive with a great taper to use for both bottom contact and single hook moving baits.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:14 pm

Definitely the 852 JWR.
They got some butt to them, but a great lip tip section.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:15 pm

goldrod wrote:
russ57 wrote:

I’ve been tooling about my rod rack looking for what I may suggest...

I have to be honest.. the Racing design texas rig special fits what your asking for to the letter.
It has more back bone than the sensor and If I were to go down the tier a bit,
my Black widow 704. I use my 6'11 PA for 110 Magnums and pointer 100's as I think its best as a reaction bait stick. Thats my personal opinion and others may vary but since I settled on this technique I haven't looked back.
My gen 1 med cumara rated up to 1/2oz is a good alternative.
Lastly, My H3 Med heavy is probably the second rod I'd goto after the racing design as its light and sensitive.
Corrections made..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:19 am

X7 extreme mission is another

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:45 am

If you are looking at custom rods, the NFC Xray SJ 725 blank felt amazing for this when I visited my custom rod builder last week. It has a nice soft tip like the MMH Tatula Elite and 7'1 MHXF St Croix Legend Elites.

It would be good for 1/4 oz jigs with plastic up to 1/2 oz. It might be too heavy for a 4 inch weightless Senko though.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:10 am

russ57 wrote:

Steez AGS 7'3 MH Utility Player will literally do all of that and more. The Steez line has replaced all but one of my NRX/NRX+ rods (keeping the 852s just for a do-it-all in my spinning setups).

KSRonH
Angler
Angler

Post by KSRonH » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 am

I haven't fished any of the steez rods but have fished most of the g-loomis glx and nrx rods and the upper end st croix rods. I would have to say the st croix legend elite 7' med rod would be a consideration for what you are looking for.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm

senko to me means 5 inch most days. my old BSR 852 with 15# braid fishes this like gold, my NRX 893 in second place.

best senko and light t-rig rod, I have to say NRX 893. I think the spinning gear has some advantage in fall of a Senko but for accuracy and fishing all day I have to go with the casting gear.

at one time I had the BSR 852 glx and a NRX 852s. the GLX butt had more power and I considered it a true senko rod for not only open lakes but those I fish in florida with some grass cover. I fish my BSR 852glx quite a bit in florida around vegitation as long as I can get them to open water. When casting above heavy hydrilla, I will pick up the 894 NRX and catch them for hours. I think senko rod needs to be matched with conditions you fish.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:37 pm

DavidSA wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm
senko to me means 5 inch most days.
I’m of the same opinion