Black Widow 703

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Black Widow 703

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Just got a black widow 703 rod in..
MBR 703
4-12lb
1/8-3/8oz
7’0”
anyone else using it?

I just got it today
Put my COVID project pixy on it
Boats in the shop so I hope life gets better
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Black Widow 703

Post by ss30378 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:26 am

Yup...

Excellent rod, more of a ML+ or Med than a ML power. i think it's more of a 3/16-1/2oz range myself. Very sensitive and balanced and 7' length is a good length for both distance and tight accuracy. Caught my PB rock bass at just over 11" the other day stream fishing with it on 10lb fluoro and a 3/16 tungsten bullet with a 3.75" Grandebass baby rattlesnake. In fairly heavy current i could feel the the water rushing past the line playing it like a guitar string. I could feel everything on the bottom despite the water flow.

Other than my little jigs the MBR taper lends it to quite a few techniques in its weight range. I've used it with 4-5" weightless senkos and have used some 1/4oz topwaters with it. It's paired with an alphas ct.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:40 am

ss30378 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:26 am
Yup...

Excellent rod, more of a ML+ or Med than a ML power. i think it's more of a 3/16-1/2oz range myself. Very sensitive and balanced and 7' length is a good length for both distance and tight accuracy. Caught my PB rock bass at just over 11" the other day stream fishing with it on 10lb fluoro and a 3/16 tungsten bullet with a 3.75" Grandebass baby rattlesnake. In fairly heavy current i could feel the the water rushing past the line playing it like a guitar string. I could feel everything on the bottom despite the water flow.

Other than my little jigs the MBR taper lends it to quite a few techniques in its weight range. I've used it with 4-5" weightless senkos and have used some 1/4oz topwaters with it. It's paired with an alphas ct.
My initial impressions coincide with what your saying as far as weight. I do think it's more in the 1/2 range on the upper side.
I have the 704 and will put an alpha on it I think.. Im not sure of what reel I'll use with it..
but I wanted the 703 for some time now and finally got one.. thanks for your input I look forward to catching a Mega PB
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:21 pm

I've had some time to make a few cast with this setup. I has to use the I'ze finesse spool
Sunline Xplasma Asegai 12# test and a weightless trick worm just to practice with.. i feel like im playing a game and unlocking
new features to a character.