Edge Black Widow Flippin stick

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Edge Black Widow Flippin stick

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:21 pm

Not a lot of talk on here about the edge rods. I own two but didn’t buy retail
And I love the ones I have. So that makes me a bit curious to know about this particular stick
I was wondering if anyone has or have tried the Flippin stick. ?

I saw a YouTuber with the swimbait stick but I couldn’t understand a freaking thing but he had a reel that was a big reel and because of the Webie type reel seat it looked far more comfortable for him.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Edge Black Widow Flippin stick

Post by Cal » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:11 am

I have the first generation Black Widow Flipping stick but it's changed since then and I'm not exactly sure how. With Edge, it's all about the blank, and given the pedigree, it's difficult to go wrong there. However, I'd contact them directly to be sure they're using the reincarnated Weibe reel seat on the flipping stick. During that first generation run, they were using the Weibe seats for all the conventional powered rods, but anything from the Flipping sticks to the Swimbait sticks had to be something else because the Weibe style seats wouldn't fit the larger blanks.

The first generation flipping sticks were triggerless.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:20 am

Are you looking for an actual flipping stick or just something heavy powered? The BW 735 stick is way underrated compared to the specs and on the site and is a true heavy. It realistically has a top end of 1 1/8-1 1/4oz. The first strike 706 blank is rated to 1 1/2oz but feels like it could comfortably get a bit above that.

I’m actually eyeballing the flipping stick myself (and a couple others) and plan on calling tomorrow to get some input. If you decide to call them ask for Steve Pitcock, he knows the blanks better than anyone I’ve spoke with there. Plus he can give you actual lead times if they aren’t in stock.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:24 am

I've got the Edge Delta Flipping stick and it has a regular reel seat like the other Delta rods.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:24 am
I've got the Edge Delta Flipping stick and it has a regular reel seat like the other Delta rods.
How do you like the rod performance wise
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:48 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:24 am
How do you like the rod performance wise
I have it and a a shorter rod I fish senkos on and like them a lot, the blank shines, the guides are soso but in freshwater I don't worry about them. But I won't have another of their saltwater rods because the supposed titanium guides rusted.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:55 pm

I think this will be a good fit for that stick...
Attachments
Blackk Snipe .jpeg
Blackk Snipe .jpeg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:22 am

ss30378 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:20 am
Are you looking for an actual flipping stick or just something heavy powered? The BW 735 stick is way underrated compared to the specs and on the site and is a true heavy. It realistically has a top end of 1 1/8-1 1/4oz. The first strike 706 blank is rated to 1 1/2oz but feels like it could comfortably get a bit above that.

I’m actually eyeballing the flipping stick myself (and a couple others) and plan on calling tomorrow to get some input. If you decide to call them ask for Steve Pitcock, he knows the blanks better than anyone I’ve spoke with there. Plus he can give you actual lead times if they aren’t in stock.
I agree on your power assessment. I have two 706 sticks and they feel XH, but not super stiff....just very stout. I have the 786 also, which has a softer upper section and is surprisingly versatile. I spoke to Edge a couple years ago, and the guy I spoke with said they altered their power ratings after the TT rod shootout claimed it was light for a MH rod. He also said they spiral wrapped it for TT 'because those guys like that, and we wanted a good review'. I like all 9 of my edge rods quite a bit.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:45 am

KP Duty wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:22 am
He also said they spiral wrapped it for TT 'because those guys like that, and we wanted a good review'. I like all 9 of my edge rods quite a bit.
The original Black Widow rods were spiral wrapped as stock rods. They were not custom made for us. If they had been, we'd have mentioned it in the writeup as we have for a couple of Kistler rods. There was a management change at Edge Rods shortly after that review went live. New management changed specs which nullified plans to write up other sticks in that lineup.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Rod came in today
Had ten minutes with it
It makes the Z feel small or normal sized as anticipated.
They match REALLY WELL together.

The rod not that type of stick that’s parabolic but it’s not a broom stick
I’ll get pictures up and more details but my initial impression is I need to get on the water. Oh!! BALANCE I know people are going to ask and It did not feel tip heavy at all with the reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 pm

So i have some gripes
Attachments
765.jpeg
765.jpeg (146.29 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
456.jpeg
456.jpeg (145.38 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
123.jpeg
123.jpeg (127.93 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
colly.jpeg
colly.jpeg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 2260 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:10 pm

so my gripe was about the guides.. they looked funky.. i thought they were broken.. but i went out any ways..
Thy are not the same as any that I have on any other rod.. It was very weird and I hope you can see in the picture
Attachments
thy.jpeg
thy.jpeg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
thyy.jpeg
thyy.jpeg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
tthhyy.jpeg
tthhyy.jpeg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
tthy.jpeg
tthy.jpeg (103.3 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Those are the normal guides now, all mine have them and I haven’t had any issues. I do agree they do look weird but they haven’t failed or given me issues yet.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Guides are very similar to Fuji K frame guides, sloped forward to shed line tangles.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:12 pm

I needed to get out of the house today

The rod felt great in my hands. I caught that fish and I must say the sensitivity was excellent. The bite came and I felt the lure “floating”, or suspended. It wasn’t a tug or pull just nothing. I always knew where my lure was so I set the hook with a light drag. I don’t lock down my drag especially on these fast type rods. I did not catch any large bass but this little toothy fellow was great and a fighter I estimate he was about three pounds of pissed off. I thought about boat Flippin him but I didn’t as I typically frown on that and rather use the line to get fish in. I’m not fishing a tournament of any sort so.

If you have a Daiwa Z you know it’s a large reel. On this rod the way it sits just makes it seem smaller than it is. That is the best part for me and in all honesty I never wanted to put the combo down. For the price of $245 including shipping I don’t think it was a bad purchase. I hope I never need the warranty services.

Yeah those guides were funky looking they are angled and as you can tell it almost looks like bent metal. Initially I was disappointed with the rod when I saw the guides. But they functioned as they should. I can’t say for certain if they gave me any advantage or disadvantage.

I really like this rod and reel set up. Not only is it eye candy but form and function are great as well.