Musky guys I need your help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Musky guys I need your help

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 am

What are the desirable traits for a musky stick or lighter duty musky stick? Length, handle length, action and bait range. How prone are rods to breaking from one thrashing next to the boat?

I want to put together some sort of general purpose big bait and musky stick. Something that I use in a kayak and 2 pc so when it's in the rod holder it's not sticking up real bad and obstructing my backswing. The planned uses are as a big bait stick for bass, throwing rats, maybe some heavier frog use dragging over mats and lighter musky baits under 3 oz. I'm eyeing some snakehead rods as candidates. My concern is what exactly makes for a good musky stick let alone one for kayak use?

I've caught 40 inch fish on MH bass rods and they feel like they are going to shatter the rod thrashing by the boat bending the rod all the way to the reel seat. The ones I have caught kinda get drug up to the boat without much fight then lose their minds when next to it. I'm afraid to use my higher end rods like my 72H Hyuga that would be a great light duty musky kayak stick or my 76XXH Valkaryie for fear of them getting destroyed. Toying with the idea of either a JDM or Aliexpress 2 pc snakehead rod.

I have a honey hole that I fish for bass in may under docks in a artificial canal system and every time I go there to fish for bass I see like a dozen musky swimming around in the shallow area following my bass baits then turning off and scaring the crap out of me with the noise from turning away or are t boning my bass baits as I pull them out from the under the docks and biting me off. I've caught one fish by accident every trip in the 40 inch range and there is a sandy shelf at the opening to the canals that have what look like sections of the phone poles laying on the bottom at times that are bigger musky way bigger than 40 inches. There also happens to be a boat launch area in a reasonable paddling distance. This makes me want to try my hand at musky from the kayak.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Musky guys I need your help

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:15 am

I used the heavy action Hyuga for years. Casting exactly your lure range. Just grab yourself a Topraider in 8" and you're set.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:20 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:15 am
I used the heavy action Hyuga for years. Casting exactly your lure range. Just grab yourself a Topraider in 8" and you're set.
I have one in bullfrog. I never could get them go after it. I'll have to throw it on the Hyuga.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:36 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:20 am
SSS wrote:
I have one in bullfrog. I never could get them go after it. I'll have to throw it on the Hyuga.
If they're spawning, topwater might not be the best. Some large spinnerbait or a bucktail should do better.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:41 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:36 am
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
If they're spawning, topwater might not be the best. Some large spinnerbait or a bucktail should do better.
At mid May near the southern border of Minnesota I'm not sure what they are doing in there. The musky opener is timed to open right as this activity starts to die off so maybe it is spawning? I always thought they spawned earlier.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 am

When I lived up north fishing Lake St. Clair I remember loosing quite a few smallmouth I hooked to muskies doing their best shark impersonation. Seeing that big shadow come darting in out of nowhere always got the blood pumping. Most people I know still up there fishing for muskie directly either use heavy swimbait rods or a dedicated muskie rod which is usually a fast tapered swimbait rod. For your lure range out of a kayak I'd want something a bit shorter.

I had a 6'8" major craft speedstyle big bait model which was a 1-3oz stick and a very well built rod that would probably be just about ideal from a kayak. I still see one listed on Major Craft America's site for $156 and it is well worth that. A very beautifully built rod with fuji double footed stainless SIC guides the whole length.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:13 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:41 am
SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:36 am
LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
At mid May near the southern border of Minnesota I'm not sure what they are doing in there. The musky opener is timed to open right as this activity starts to die off so maybe it is spawning? I always thought they spawned earlier.
In Canada where i am, May-June is the spawning period. I don't see why they'd be all assembled in a small area like that if it wasn't for spawning.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 am

St. Croix makes a 2-piece musky stick in the Premier series...both a MH and H.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:11 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 am
That would be a solid option. Unfortunately I'm a rod snob and St. Croix sticks are too low end looking for my tastes. After reading viewtopic.php?t=47178&start=15 I think I'll go with a custom built swimbait blank. I want to get into rod building and this is an opportunity to do that. Going to go for a classy almost vintage look with full cork and gold trim rod with some thread work and pair it to a tuned Ambassadur of some kind.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:11 am
Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 am
That would be a solid option. Unfortunately I'm a rod snob and St. Croix sticks are too low end looking for my tastes. After reading viewtopic.php?t=47178&start=15 I think I'll go with a custom built swimbait blank. I want to get into rod building and this is an opportunity to do that. Going to go for a classy almost vintage look with full cork and gold trim rod with some thread work and pair it to a tuned Ambassadur of some kind.
Nice. 8-)

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:01 pm

I have first hand experience with IROD's IRG865SB 8'6" - Bailey's Mag Swim for musky. I have thrown double 8's and cannonball jr's for musky. I don't have a stick to compare diameters of blanks or guide size, but it is definitely looks finessy compared to my buddies SC LT and LE's. My biggest to date isn't huge, but 43". I did have a 50" on and lost it at the boat, but I don't think it was the rods fault.

I run 80lb FX2 with a Lexa 300HD and so far so good.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 pm

I used the St. Croix LT Downsizer rod it's 7'3" I think. Can't remember the last time I went musky hunting but used it for catching other fishes. I always wonder why the heck it the blank and guides so much beefier than needed, but it sure makes quick work of other fishes. Except for the snapping turtle I caught on a top raider. LOL...we were fighting each other good. :laugh1:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:49 am

Take a look at Tailwalks Fullrange line of rods, they have some great rods in XH, XXH and even heavier. I use the 67XXH for jerkbaits like the hellhound (3.8oz) and friends use the longer models for both jerks and soft plastic swimbaits. They’re plenty powerful - 43“ pike don’t stand a chance but still the blanks are pretty light. Not sure if a musky would be more explosive than European pike and maybe that’s the reason why musky blanks are usually way heavier while having lure rating?

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:30 am

I have the 8 foot MH St. Croix Premier Musky rod, paired with a tranx 400 and really like it. problem is, i am still chasing my first musky, so far only pike LOL

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Check the the regs before you target them but southern Minnesota prob ok to fish musky by 2nd weekend of may. They probably hanging out post spawn. Trying to hand a musky is a real bad idea for you and the fish. You'll get hooks in your hand if not teeth. Even though they are a big apex fish they are very sensitive to being handled. I personally don't think it would be ethical to fish them from a kayak at all. Trying to unhook a trophy class fish from you kayak doesn't seem doable they'll dish your yak. You need a boat, giant net that works like a pool to keep the fish in the water while you unhook them, hook cutters and pliers. If you get hooks through a upper 40's sized fish its real hard to get them out, hence hook cutters. All that said. You can get by with an 8ft rod rated up to 4oz with a 300 tranx 65lb braid. Have it double as a swimbait rod but its far from ideal. 9ft rod with a 16oz and 400tranx 80-100lb braid is the new standard for someone who is going to buy 1 musky rod. If your serious about targeting them buy a musky net and tools, get out of the kayak and fish them from shore with the net. There is a big difference in power between a 40" fish and a 45" fish probably double. Just couldn't imagine landing a 50 in a kayak.
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 am
What are the desirable traits for a musky stick or lighter duty musky stick? Length, handle length, action and bait range. How prone are rods to breaking from one thrashing next to the boat?

I want to put together some sort of general purpose big bait and musky stick. Something that I use in a kayak and 2 pc so when it's in the rod holder it's not sticking up real bad and obstructing my backswing. The planned uses are as a big bait stick for bass, throwing rats, maybe some heavier frog use dragging over mats and lighter musky baits under 3 oz. I'm eyeing some snakehead rods as candidates. My concern is what exactly makes for a good musky stick let alone one for kayak use?

I've caught 40 inch fish on MH bass rods and they feel like they are going to shatter the rod thrashing by the boat bending the rod all the way to the reel seat. The ones I have caught kinda get drug up to the boat without much fight then lose their minds when next to it. I'm afraid to use my higher end rods like my 72H Hyuga that would be a great light duty musky kayak stick or my 76XXH Valkaryie for fear of them getting destroyed. Toying with the idea of either a JDM or Aliexpress 2 pc snakehead rod.

I have a honey hole that I fish for bass in may under docks in a artificial canal system and every time I go there to fish for bass I see like a dozen musky swimming around in the shallow area following my bass baits then turning off and scaring the crap out of me with the noise from turning away or are t boning my bass baits as I pull them out from the under the docks and biting me off. I've caught one fish by accident every trip in the 40 inch range and there is a sandy shelf at the opening to the canals that have what look like sections of the phone poles laying on the bottom at times that are bigger musky way bigger than 40 inches. There also happens to be a boat launch area in a reasonable paddling distance. This makes me want to try my hand at musky from the kayak.