6'10 Adrena vs 6'10 Expride

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

6'10 Adrena vs 6'10 Expride

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:55 pm

I owned the 6'10 Adrena. Sold it because the handle was a little too slick in wet conditions. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the crisp and lightweight blank. How does the Expride compare in terms of sensitivity, weight, performance, and taper? Is the Adrena a noticeable step up, or just a slight upgrade?

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 6'10 Adrena vs 6'10 Expride

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:37 am

Hey, I haven't owned these exact models but from owning both rods in different models I would have zero issues owning the expride over adrena. I did not like the handle on the adrena at all. Expride is such a good series.
Philippians 4:6

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:19 am

Expride 6'10" M is 3.93oz on my scale.
Adrena 6'10" M is 3.53oz.

Both have almost identical guide spacing, and the reel seat is in almost the same place. Not sure on sensitivity yet, I've only fished jerkbaits on both rods. Taper is very similar - the PA felt a bit stiffer in the garage, but not on the water.

I'm a bit of an outlier because I don't like Exprides all that much (I think they're way overrated, but that's not supposed to be a hot take, it's just an honest opinion). Except that the Expride 6'10" M is an amazing jerkbait rod so I got one a couple years ago and hadn't considered ever selling it. I upgraded to the PA to see if that one is a dead ringer for the Expride on jerkbaits while I like it better for other applications, as well. Will see after Xmas, I have the PA earmarked as a gift.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:19 am
Expride 6'10" M is 3.93oz on my scale.
Adrena 6'10" M is 3.53oz.

Both have almost identical guide spacing, and the reel seat is in almost the same place. Not sure on sensitivity yet, I've only fished jerkbaits on both rods. Taper is very similar - the PA felt a bit stiffer in the garage, but not on the water.

I'm a bit of an outlier because I don't like Exprides all that much (I think they're way overrated, but that's not supposed to be a hot take, it's just an honest opinion). Except that the Expride 6'10" M is an amazing jerkbait rod so I got one a couple years ago and hadn't considered ever selling it. I upgraded to the PA to see if that one is a dead ringer for the Expride on jerkbaits while I like it better for other applications, as well. Will see after Xmas, I have the PA earmarked as a gift.
Awesome. I look forward to hearing your impressions. What is it that you don't like about the Exprides?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:31 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm
Awesome. I look forward to hearing your impressions. What is it that you don't like about the Exprides?
I’ve just never felt that they punch above their weight class, as many people have claimed. I have a line of Powell rods (Endurance and Inferno) for my family that I find very good for their price. I remember buying an Expride 6’10” ML Spinning as a supposed dropshot upgrade over the Inferno 711 L and 702 ML rods I’d usually handed out, and didn’t feel like there was anything close to a $160 improvement in sensitivity there. Same goes for the 6’10” M when I’ve tried to use it for BC, i.e. on jigged Dark Sleepers. Meanwhile, the XX Orochi are a clear upgrade in the finesse sensitivity department (again compared to those Powell Infernos), while only costing $30 more than an Expride.

It’s probably just me. I’ve voiced the same opinion several times in the past and I don’t mean to sounds too broken-record or preachy about it (I just don’t assume that people have read - or remember - my previous posts, so I repeat myself occasionally).

As for the 6’10” M in particular, I freaking love that model for jerkbaits (I also love the 6’10” ML for spybaits), so there isn’t any universal animus there from my side. They just don't do anything for me when it comes to bottom contact, so I've been looking for a jerkbait rod that I can throw BC on as well, and hoping that the PA is the correct step up.

How did you like it for bottom contact (minus the handle)?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:31 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm
I’ve just never felt that they punch above their weight class, as many people have claimed. I have a line of Powell rods (Endurance and Inferno) for my family that I find very good for their price. I remember buying an Expride 6’10” ML Spinning as a supposed dropshot upgrade over the Inferno 711 L and 702 ML rods I’d usually handed out, and didn’t feel like there was anything close to a $160 improvement in sensitivity there. Same goes for the 6’10” M when I’ve tried to use it for BC, i.e. on jigged Dark Sleepers. Meanwhile, the XX Orochi are a clear upgrade in the finesse sensitivity department (again compared to those Powell Infernos), while only costing $30 more than an Expride.

It’s probably just me. I’ve voiced the same opinion several times in the past and I don’t mean to sounds too broken-record or preachy about it (I just don’t assume that people have read - or remember - my previous posts, so I repeat myself occasionally).

As for the 6’10” M in particular, I freaking love that model for jerkbaits (I also love the 6’10” ML for spybaits), so there isn’t any universal animus there from my side. They just don't do anything for me when it comes to bottom contact, so I've been looking for a jerkbait rod that I can throw BC on as well, and hoping that the PA is the correct step up.

How did you like it for bottom contact (minus the handle)?
I thought it was really good, as long as you don't mind a more regular, slow fast taper. I haven't felt anything more sensitive in that price range. But I also don't buy a lot of production rods. And as we all know, this can vary between models from the same line.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Well, I said I wouldn't touch it until xmas, but I also wasn't supposed to work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and ended up going into the office after all, so I spend a couple hours with the Expride and Adrena yesterday afternoon. Did a few direct A/B comparisons by casting into the same area and dragging back on a very similar setup, Expride with 10lbs Tatsu on an Aldebaran, PA with 10lbs Tatsu on a Steez CT SV, both with a 3" Dark Sleeper. The setup wasn't ideal for ultimate sensitivity (straight fluoro, rubber bait), and the bottom in that fishery only has stepped packed dirt with the occasional piece of timber. But good enough!

The PA definitely came in a bit more sensitive than the Expride, but both rods detected the same features on every cast. The Expride was just a bit more muted and not as sharp; hard to put a number on it, so I won't try. 10% maybe? (Oops, I tried.) Couldn't compare actual bite detection cause I didn't hook into anything :strface: I'd say if you liked the Poison Adrena for bottom contact you won't be disappointed in the Expride as long as expectations are properly calibrated for a lower-model rod.

In terms of taper, power etc. they felt like dead ringers.
610M.jpg
610M.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 1605 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:37 pm
Well, I said I wouldn't touch it until xmas, but I also wasn't supposed to work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and ended up going into the office after all, so I spend a couple hours with the Expride and Adrena yesterday afternoon. Did a few direct A/B comparisons by casting into the same area and dragging back on a very similar setup, Expride with 10lbs Tatsu on an Aldebaran, PA with 10lbs Tatsu on a Steez CT SV, both with a 3" Dark Sleeper. The setup wasn't ideal for ultimate sensitivity (straight fluoro, rubber bait), and the bottom in that fishery only has stepped packed dirt with the occasional piece of timber. But good enough!

The PA definitely came in a bit more sensitive than the Expride, but both rods detected the same features on every cast. The Expride was just a bit more muted and not as sharp; hard to put a number on it, so I won't try. 10% maybe? (Oops, I tried.) Couldn't compare actual bite detection cause I didn't hook into anything :strface: I'd say if you liked the Poison Adrena for bottom contact you won't be disappointed in the Expride as long as expectations are properly calibrated for a lower-model rod.

In terms of taper, power etc. they felt like dead ringers.

610M.jpg
Excellent. The taper surprises me a bit. I'd assume that the PA blank would be a little more crisp. I wouldn't be using them for much bottom contact. Thank you for the response 🤘