Short Frog Rod (for the kayak)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Short Frog Rod (for the kayak)

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 am

Hi guys,

though it will be quite a while till the frog bite (even here in Cali) will turn on again, I am considering taking advantage of the BF sales and get me a frog rod that I can use in the kayak when the longer rod, Steez XBD, is just too long to comfortably walk the frog and get it into the tight pockets.

Hence I am looking for a rod that should be under 6'11, should have enough backbone to fish the delta and a fast enough tip to walk a frog. Balance is important as well (considering using it with either a Morethan or a 2021 Antares DC). Would like to stay under the 400USD range (but open if there is THE rod that fits my criteria).

Currently I have the NRX 804c and the P5 Super Destroyer that could fit the bill length wise. Though I dont think that either of them is powerful enough to get a 3# out of cover.

I previously had the P5 Tequila Baccarac as my short frog rod, but sold it again because I did not like the moderate taper and the reel butt was a bit too long as well for me.

Some quick research has yielded the following results:

* Megabass P5 Tachyon Shaft
** Powerwise it should work (I think?!) but it seems to have the same regular taper of the Tequila, so not sure if I would be happy with that

* Megabass P5 Killer Code
** Should have more power than the SuperDestroyer, since it has a higher lure rating?! Unfortunately seems to have the same regular taper

* Megabass Orochi XXX Cover Hacking
** Rated as similar power to the SuperDestroyer, but with a faster taper. Not sure if the power is adequate though

* *Megabass Orochi XXX Mat Bucker Type L
** Rated as similar power to the SuperDestroyer, but should be stronger, given the lure rating?

Are there any other rods out there that would fit the bill? What are your experiences and recommendations?

Thanks all!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Short Frog Rod (for the kayak)

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:04 pm

I know it’s not in your listing but legit rods makes one.
Maybe worth checking out
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:09 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:04 pm
Maybe worth checking out
Thanks gold! Are you referring to this rod? WILD SIDE Casting Rod 6'4" Extra Hvy Bait Spec Finesse

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:18 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:09 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:04 pm
Maybe worth checking out
Thanks gold! Are you referring to this rod? WILD SIDE Casting Rod 6'4" Extra Hvy Bait Spec Finesse
No. They have a 6’10 heavy
I had the number to the representative. He was phenomenal in answering all my questions over voice, email and text. That 6’10 rod is built for frogs
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:19 pm

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:23 pm

https://www.arundeltackle.com/collectio ... asting-rod

This is the 6’5” big bait special

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Thanks, I reached out to them!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:13 pm

Throw frogs not too often, however, if I had to pick a designated rod for froggin, this would be it - Steez Frogger C67MH-FR 7-28g, should handle small and big frogs really well.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:27 pm

The newest Fuego rods have a 6'9" heavy rod that should fit the bill without breaking the bank. The rear grip is shorter, as well, so it should do well walking a frog from the yak. I've held one and it is pretty powerful, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:49 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:28 pm
The newest Fuego rod series has a 6'9" heavy rod that should fit the bill without breaking the bank. The rear grip is shorter, as well, so it should do well walking a frog from the yak. I've held one and it is pretty powerful, too.
THanks for the suggestion! Do you happen to have a compare of the Fuego to the Tatula Elite 6'9 heavy? I think they might have the same action. Would prefer a lighter rod with higher components.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:08 pm

I haven't held the Tatula version, so I can't make a comparison. I do know that the guides on the Fuego series are larger than the Tatula Elite series.... not full size, more mid-micro at the tip with a #8 double-foot stripper guide. It has a lot of power, but still with a nice tip. The look is very high end, way above its $80 price point imo. Overall, it's a light rod, but the short rear grip makes it a hair tip-heavy. Nothing major, just a powerful blank without a lot behind the reel seat. I came very close to getting one myself, but opted for the Xtreme Angler series 6-10H for the longer rear grip. I dont fish from a yak, so that wont get in my way.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Thanks for the info.
Without sounding too spoiled, but honestly it has been a while since i considered a $80 rod ;-)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 pm
Thanks for the info.
Without sounding too spoiled, but honestly it has been a while since i considered a $80 rod ;-)
I know practicality is essentially a lost art here on TT, but I've become exactly that in the last couple years. I've found that I dont need to spend $300+ on a moving bait rod. That leaves more $$$ for other things like reels and baits. :D If sensitivity isnt paramount for a technique, it usually doesn't enter my thought process when I consider a new rod. Aside from that, you'd feel a lot less anguish from breaking an $80 than a $500+ Megabass X7. That's a real possibility on a kayak.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:47 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 pm
Thanks for the info.
I know practicality is essentially a lost art here on TT, but I've become exactly that in the last couple years. I've found that I dont need to spend $300+ on a moving bait rod. That leaves more $$$ for other things like reels and baits. :D If sensitivity isnt paramount for a technique, it usually doesn't enter my thought process when I consider a new rod. Aside from that, you'd feel a lot less anguish from breaking an $80 than a $500+ Megabass X7. That's a real possibility on a kayak.
True that!

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:49 am

Love my high end stuff. That said, the Daiwa AirdX 7' Heavy sees a lot of action for big topwater and even frog duty.

I'm surprised how often I set it up over a more expensive rod. The Fuego has me interested. Light tip, good power, and overall weight are really all I look for in a frog rod.

If it is a value rod, I can swing hard with zero hesitation.