Short List for My New Rod: Help!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Short List for My New Rod: Help!

Post by JewFish61 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Need a new rod under 7’ for target casting out of my yak. Mostly single-hook presentations (swim jigs, T rigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits). Would be a plus if it can handle smaller frog (Kaera, 55s, etc) in light to moderate cover. Some I am considering:

1. Daiwa Rebellion 6’10” MH (says regular action but a few folks on the board here say it’s more like moderate fast to fast)
2. Shimano Zodias 6’ 10” MH/F
3. Dobyns Champion XP 6’ 10” Heavy/F
4. ALX Skipper 6’ 9” MH+/F
5. Falcon Head Turner 6’ 10” Heavy/MF

Here’s my biggest pet peeve I want to avoid: a tip that is too stiff to load well. I already have that in a Kistler Argon 6’ 9” MH/F that I am really underwhelmed by. Thing just has a dead tip, at least in my experience.

So what I find myself doing is reaching for a Falcon HD Medium/F—fantastic rod for $70—for its casting accuracy but if I hook into anything in moderate to heavy cover I am totally outgunned.

Anyone with the above 5 rods? How do you like em? Any thoughts/recommendations greatly appreciated!
Last edited by JewFish61 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCBHatesFishing
Angler
Angler

Re: Short List for My New Rod: Help!

Post by JCBHatesFishing » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:07 am

The Rebellion is a sweet little rod. Reminds me of the old Orochi XX Spinnerbait Special, and that's a good thing, and it definitely covers all of the things you want it to do out of the kayak.

Don't sleep on the Head Turner though. The Expert line really bats above it's weight class at it's price, is a true mod-fast, and my favorite swim jig rod I've ever owned. As a fellow kayak guy, it's about as perfect as something like that can be, BUT it does fish more like a medium heavy plus, versus how Falcon has it rated. A smidge less powerful than the Rebellion.

The Dobyns 6104c is STIFF as hell, and doesn't meet your stated perimeters. I don't like the Zodias anywhere near as much as the Head Turner or Rebellion, and think Shimano rods don't sing until you get to the Expride or PA's. And the Skipper is the same blank as the ALX Toadface, which is the only ALX Zolo worth owning and I owned like....8. It's basically a mod fast in the 7'2" model, but I am not sure how much it stiffens up when you shorten the blank.
"Filthy Kayak Angler"

www.americanlegacyfishing.com

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:12 pm

Instead of the 6'10" dock skipping--you should take a look at the Dobyns Champion XP DC 684C.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm

If you like the falcon hd medium, but feel undergunned at times, just move up to the MH/F. Also, the headturner isn't a true heavy. The 1/4-3/4 rating is accurate and it's a great rod for jigs and swimjigs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Post by JewFish61 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Wow, amazing feedback, each one of you. The fact that the Head Turner is such a good swim jig rod is probably gonna be the decider for me. I absolutely love that technique—just started with it this summer and caught a ton of bass, including my PB (a 7 lber). Such a versatile bait.

So I think the Falcon Head Turner wins the day. But since I missed the Black Friday TW sale I’m not exactly in a rush. Which means I probably will keep obsessing over it all winter!

JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Post by JewFish61 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:59 am

Update: I bought the Head Turner and have fished it for 2 seasons. Love the rod; indeed a great swim jig rod, but also handles chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, T-rigs and frogs in moderate cover. Soft tip is great for loading and accurate casting, but has enough power to drag fish out of cover. I would agree the rating is pretty spot on; can handle anything up to 3/4 but after that pushing it. A great all-around rod for the yak.

My next rod was gonna be a Falcon Topwater/Finesse Jig rod but got a great deal on a used Kaden 713. Gonna use it for finesse jigs, Senkos, flukes and small paddle tails (and small topwaters) so I can use a baitcaster for those presentations instead of a spinner. I don’t mind spinners, but my casting is way more accurate with a baitcaster.

For $80 used, can’t beat the Kaden, but oh boy is that Falcon FJ rod still calling to me. Also eyeballing that 6’ 10” Rebellion as a backup to the Falcon or a 2nd all-around rod out of the yak. But someone here said reel seat uncomfortable so I want to have it in hand before I buy.

Thanks for the advise to all who responded to this thread! Will let y’all know how I like the Kaden.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:07 pm

Curious, are you using braid and leader or fluoro/other line for your swimjigs?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Post by JewFish61 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 am

Up until this summer, 30 lb PP braid to 15 lb fluoro (Sunline Sniper). Lately, straight fluoro (15 lb Invizx). Can’t say I see a huge difference in either, depends on what reel I feel like using. Straight Fluoro is on a Zillion, which I got recently and love. Braid is on a bunch of different reels I rotate through (SLX DC, Quantum Tour S3, Curado MGL 150).

Been meaning to match reels to specific rods based on rod action and ideal line but my brain doesn’t work like that!)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:24 am

JewFish61 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 am
Up until this summer, 30 lb PP braid to 15 lb fluoro (Sunline Sniper). Lately, straight fluoro (15 lb Invizx). Can’t say I see a huge difference in either, depends on what reel I feel like using. Straight Fluoro is on a Zillion, which I got recently and love. Braid is on a bunch of different reels I rotate through (SLX DC, Quantum Tour S3, Curado MGL 150).

Been meaning to match reels to specific rods based on rod action and ideal line but my brain doesn’t work like that!)
Haha, yeah man, do what is good for you as long as the results are gotten!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:26 am

Deleted: Just realized how old this thread is lol

JewFish61
Angler
Angler

Post by JewFish61 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:29 am

Update on the Dobyns Kaden 713: Loving it! Great all-rounder for lighter presentations. Definitely a fast action but still a soft-enough tip to load finesse jigs, mini-max chatterbait, small T-rigs, paddles tails. Best $80 I’ve spent in a long time. Same dude I bought it from now selling a Kaden 682 for $80 hardly used. Tempted to get that one for power bfs stuff, if that’s not too silly a term.

Anyone throw the 682 and can comment on what it’s good for?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:47 am

JewFish61 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:29 am
Update on the Dobyns Kaden 713: Loving it! Great all-rounder for lighter presentations.
Definitely a fast action but still a soft-enough tip to load finesse jigs, mini-max chatterbait, small T-rigs, paddles tails. Best $80 I’ve spent in a long time. Same dude I bought it from now selling a Kaden 682 for $80 hardly used. Tempted to get that one for power bfs stuff, if that’s not too silly a term.

Anyone throw the 682 and can comment on what it’s good for?
That rod should be great for power finesse apps. Btw, that's a commonplace term here on TT, so its not silly at all.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.